I just don't want to log my food anymore, boo.......

Options
2»

Replies

• jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I equate tracking to keeping track of my finances. I would NEVER spend money without knowing if I have cash or money in my checking account. I don't spend huge amounts of time on my checking account but I do know where I stand. Why would I let my food be something I would not keep track of? Every time I go off tracking I gain because I trick myself into thinking I was much better than I thought. It is a slippery slope my friend. Good luck and enjoy your summer!!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I actually lost most of my weight(60+pounds) without counting calories. I started with journaling (in a notebook) everything I ate, but I never actually counted the calories.
    MFP is just another form of a journal.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I equate tracking to keeping track of my finances. I would NEVER spend money without knowing if I have cash or money in my checking account. I don't spend huge amounts of time on my checking account but I do know where I stand. Why would I let my food be something I would not keep track of? Every time I go off tracking I gain because I trick myself into thinking I was much better than I thought. It is a slippery slope my friend. Good luck and enjoy your summer!!

I like the way you think :)
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think for me tracking my food is critical, it really holds me accountable. I seem to be struggling to maintain my goal weight now. I never go over on calories but a couple pounds have crept back on and I don't know why. I don't think you should stop enjoying life by being so stringent that you never have a splurge but for me I allow for that splurge in my calories. I still struggle though, I wish it was easier, I workout a lot and I still struggle to maintain.

Anyone else have trouble with maintenance ?
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with the people saying that it's just not realistic to expect to log food/count calories forever. Why not? I probably spend less than 90 seconds a day logging what I eat; I really do not understand why so many people see it as such a hassle.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I found in the past that when I don't want to log my food it's because ultimately I'm planning on going off track. I mean obviously not "planning" to go overboard, but that deep down I know it's going to happen and I don't want to be accountable to myself for it. Cheers to you if your case is different- I just know the outcome has not been favorable for me in the past.

This!
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with the people saying that it's just not realistic to expect to log food/count calories forever. Why not? I probably spend less than 90 seconds a day logging what I eat; I really do not understand why so many people see it as such a hassle.

I agree with this^

I do think logging is something you can do long term if you wish - It certainly isn't cumbersome and if MFP isn't available to do it, some app or program will be - Heck the way technology is changing, I'll be surprised that they don't make sensors that clip on your teeth and sense when food passes your lips, *kitten* the content of said food and logs it for you :laugh: !

Seriously though, I understand the frustration of logging when it seems "some people" eat whatever they want and "never gain an ounce"... I was one of those people for 40 years! Others, being creatures of habit, eat very consistent foods and favorites and really can "log" everything in their head now without needing to enter it in an app/write it down. But if you are like me, and it is *absolutely* possible you are not, then a little ice cream there at a beach, or banana muffin with coffee there and beer beer beer beer.... and voila, I'm back logging... I keep my weight generally within a fairly narrow band, but this last gain was higher than I had been in a while... I'm trying to make this logging thing a part of my lifestyle - it only takes me maybe 3-5 minutes a day to log (and 2 hours to chat and support friends! :tongue: ) I do think I'll take a break at some point, hopefully not for a while, but when I do, I know I'll expect to be back...
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's not a hassle at all and takes less than 5 minutes.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stopped. Only every once in a while, usually only if I'm curious. I'm too busy to do it every day, all day. Way too time consuming. That being said, I still proportion things and keep a mental log so I stay around what I should. I'm just not worrying about the number as much. I eat when I'm hungry. But I make sure to eat healthy. Always keeps me at a goo calorie count. I'm still losing AND living. Lol.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Are you making logging a bigger deal than it needs to be? It takes me less than 5 minutes a day to log. It shouldn't be causing you worry.

Logging is about accountability and tracking. It's not about burdensome work.

I agree with above.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I also think it's totally possible to log your food forever... Well maybe not FOREVER, but I can envision myself doing it for a good long time.

In fact I just passed 865 days of logging here at MFP and I don't think I missed a day of food logging, even befor MFP was keeping track of log in days!

It's all what you feel is important. Sometimes logging isn't for everyone And sometimes it's just natural as brushing your teeth.

Good luck no matter which way you go
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've taken time off from logging. For about 14 months, I've taken one day a week off, and for almost a year, every weekend and holiday off. And then a few random weeks. And a few random months.

Overall, I don't mind logging my food, but at this point... sometimes I just want to not THINK about every morsel. Like today. I wanted a couple pretzels. I grabbed a handful from the bag. I didn't want to count or measure a precise portion. With over 2100 calories in my "food budget" today, I know I'm not in danger of any major overeating.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I like logging and pre-planning my food. My stomach is distended and I have bad grazing habits from being a fatso all my life, so I don't feel like I can "listen to my body" without making terrible choices just yet.
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I tend to go off track when I don't log, although I usually don't log when I'm going away for the weekend, so that could be the real problem! :blushing:

I disagree with people who say it takes 5 minutes a day. If you're like me and cook a lot from scratch and never make the same thing twice, weighing and entering what can sometimes be 15-25 items per recipe can get to be a real chore. Sometimes I feel like the logging takes longer than the cooking!
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options