my rant for the day..anyone else feeling the same way?

Options
Ok, I apologize in advance because I'm about to go on a little rant..but I need to get it out of my system and would love to hear people's responses! I've been on MFP for a few months now..started at 146, down to 130. I'm a freshman in college, and fell victim to the freshman 15. Well, now I've lost all the weight I gained, but I miss the way I used to feel about food!
I could take a handful of chips without caring. I didn't look up the menu for whatever restaurant I was going to, and figure out which meal has the lowest calories ahead of time. I could go out for pizza with friends and eat 3 slices without even caring. You get the idea..
Now, I constantly feel the need to log everything, and really feel like this whole 'counting calorie' thing has taken over my life.
Does anyone else feel the same? Or am I totally alone in this?

Replies

• neesie0358
    neesie0358 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No, you're not alone. But as a friend told me, "Nothing tastes as good as fit feels".
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    Part of me can't wait to get to the point where I don't have to do minute calculations of calories - a time when I'll have been doing this for long enough that it's second nature in my head and I can make easier decisions about what to eat without going over. Right now it's frustrating yeah but I feel like I have to learn what slim/fit people already know - how to eat 'normally'.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY feel that way. Everything that goes into my mouth is something I question now. I was actually thinking about that tonight and was thinking that maybe I wouldn't log for a bit just to see how it would go. It's like I am obsessed but not a good obsession. I want to have just a normal lifestyle at a normal weight.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I know I get that feeling and I'm pretty sure most people must at some point, if not all the time! Sometimes, I even cave into it for a day or two, but the feeling of my clothes getting loose or noticing a pudgy part getting a little less pudgy...WAY more satisfying than careless eating. To me anyway. I just try and power through those time periods where I just want to eat with abandon again...
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I feel the constant need to do that as well. I'm not to my goal yet and I'm so happy I finally feel this way. I'm sure at some point it will be annoying. Maybe just pick one or two days a week that you are not allowed to log or look up anything. Perhaps that will keep you at your goal, but give you a little more freedom. Hope that helps a little.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, a handful of chips is ok as long as you have just a handful or whatever the serving size is. I still eat pizza, I just have one slice and maybe a salad or something else. I haven't deprived myself of really anything during this process and that is why it has worked for me.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's why I stopped counting and instead decided to just make myself more aware than anything.
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can relate to you. Losing weight becomes all-encompassing, it is all that consumes your thoughts any time you think about what to eat, or whether you should be exercising instead of doing something else. But I think it gets better. I find that it is something that you grow out of. You are 'obsessed' right now because it is new and you haven't conquered this skill or process yet. I think that over time when you are more comfortable and confident in your choices and you understand the way your body responds to certain things, you will relax and just know what's going in without analyzing the heck out of it.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Ok, I apologize in advance because I'm about to go on a little rant..but I need to get it out of my system and would love to hear people's responses! I've been on MFP for a few months now..started at 146, down to 130. I'm a freshman in college, and fell victim to the freshman 15. Well, now I've lost all the weight I gained, but I miss the way I used to feel about food!
    I could take a handful of chips without caring. I didn't look up the menu for whatever restaurant I was going to, and figure out which meal has the lowest calories ahead of time. I could go out for pizza with friends and eat 3 slices without even caring. You get the idea..
    Now, I constantly feel the need to log everything, and really feel like this whole 'counting calorie' thing has taken over my life.
    Does anyone else feel the same? Or am I totally alone in this?

Well without out all the calorie counting you would not have lost the weight and may even be heavier. At maintenance you always have to be watching what you eat and how much. It is something that we need to accept. You may not need to do it to the same extent as when you lost. You could eat at a lower calorie amount during the week and then have to worry less about calories on the weekend. You don't have to count calories - just portion size and types of food - low fat, lots of salad and lean protein during the week. Find a way that lets you maintain for life. But accept that it is for life.
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I understand this. I enjoy baking, and recently it's been hard to think about my favorite recipes without going to the recipe counter and cringing at the amount of calories in all that butter.....I've baked things recently, and I end up eating one serving and putting the rest in the freezer. My freezer is starting to fill up haha.

I think that the fact that I can no longer absentmindedly reach for a handful of chips is a positive thing though-- one of my goals in getting on MFP was to curb that mindless snacking and it's good to feel that it is working. I am hoping that as these healthier habits become ingrained that I'll be able to feel less consumed by calorie counting.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean. I miss not caring and I miss just going out with my friends and picking a random place to go eat. Now I can hardly eat a slice of pizza without being filled with guilt...
    Sometimes tho I feel like I enjoy it more because that when I eat that one thing that I know is calorie filled, It'll be the last time I enjoy something like that for a while so I savour it!
    But my plan was to just loose a little more that my goal and give myself about 5 pounds wiggle room. As long as I stay between 145 and 150 I'll be happy, so I can splurge on some calories from time to time.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It will get better and you will be able to wean yourself off as you lean to "read" your food. You will know when you have eaten too much or that you need to burn a little bit more that day as you get further into your normal. You have changed your way of life and your way of thinking to a healthy one. Food is fuel yes, but you need to enjoy it too.

Remember that "just grabbing a handful of chips" and so forth got you to where you were, and you dont want to go back to that.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I question everything I eat and sometimes I think about what everyone else is eating. I have friends that will order 1200 calories of crap and I order a salad with dressing on the side thinking, "How can she eat that?? Doesn't she know how many calories she's eating? No wonder she can't lose weight!" I feel terrible about it. Almost an obsession.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    you're not alone! i sometimes feel this way.

i think it is very important to be mindful of the calories/nutrients that you put in your body. that being said, obsessive calorie logging can be time-consuming and even isolating. if you are starting to feel like calorie counting is taking over your life, try taking a couple days off a week. i'm not saying go hog-wild... just eat mindfully, stop when you are satisfied, and drink your water. especially when life becomes hectic, it is not always possible to count calories.

i hope you'll be able to acheive the balance that you need!!
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well...I'm in my 40's now and have been doing this calorie counting thing for so long as I can remember.....it has become my reality. At some point you'll probably accept it as yours. I'm so thankful MFP has made it so easy with their awesome food database and mobile app....my original college day calorie counting was from Jean Carper's Total Nutrition Guide...a very thick book that is not so convenient to keep with you in your purse....and not to mention the 5000 tabs I had in the book for the various places I needed to look up calories. Hopefully you can go back to the NOT counting days, but know that if your metabolism sucks like mine.....it may become your new reality. Good luck
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I think for some, counting calories can be an obsession and a stressful event because you can't just eat anything, you have to make sure the calories fit, that it's not too high in this or that or has something that might sabotage your day. I felt like that the first month I was here, I thought I was never going to enjoy food because all they were, were calorie numbers to me, macros I couldn't go over. But considering I have a clinical anxiety issue, I've eased up and now it's not such a big deal. Yes I'm looking at calorie counts, looking up menus before I even leave the house, and I don't get to eat a lot of what I used to but I'm not miserable. To me it's become just something I do the same way someone checks the expiration date on milk before taking a swig.

That being said, it's not something that works for everyone. If it makes you honest to God miserable and you've given it time to work into your life and be less at the forefront, then find another way. There always is.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I guess I sort of understand how you feel, but as someone who previously never gave such things a thought I just don't think it's such a bad thing to give a bit of thought to what you eat. I think it has more to do with your attitude or mindset about it than anything. A good thing is a good thing.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I too became OCD about logging and counting calories. I decided one day that I needed to do it on my own and not rely on MFP. 8 months later ive maintained my weight without logging or counting everyday. I am aware of what I eat and how much. I eat what I want and dont deprive myself of anything. Because I do this I dont have cravings or days that there isnt enough food in sight. This is a lifestyle change not a diet. If you deprive yourself you are more likely to go over board. Start slow and trust yourself to make the right decisions with food.
  • michellecatherine71854
    Options
    Nah, not really. Just becoming a habit, but I just log calories and compare with my fitbit and stop eating when I get to that daily magic number. I eat pretty much the same things at the same times. Just know that if you eat pizza, eat one or 2 slices. If you eat chips, just eat a few. Weigh every week and pay attention to your clothes. If you start inching up again, go back to logging everything. MFP is just a way to train us to eat better.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Not alone... sometimes I wish I could go back to not caring about what I ate... wishing I was one of those folks that was never concerned about my metabolism... but that was never me. So charting and working hard and staying focused is my charge. This morning, I moved one hole in on my belt... a small victory, but that little thing made the last month's work worth it to me... so go ahead Alli... scream this one out... get it out of your system... then keep it moving forward. :happy: