How can I hit 3300 cals on a budget?

Hey y'all I'm new nice to meet ya :D

I'm here because I'm a really skinny, tall guy, trying to cut out bad habits, bulk up and gain muscle. Todays the day. I think I need to eat 30% fat and carbs, and 40% protein.

I weigh around 190 last I checked so my recommended cal intake is 3300.

WOW. I can't eat that much. I mean how does one even get that much food? Anyway. I ate more than I usually eat today, and still I'm 1500 off. You can see what I've got in my food diary. For dinner I'll either have easymac or healthy choice microwave dinner something.

I have 20-30 dollars to spend a week on groceries, what do you think I should get for good, still tasty food that'll last until the weekend?

My diet today is pretty much the same everyday.

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Your diary isn't public.
    Things like pasta, rice, beans, lentils are cheap and high in carbs which is generally good for gaining weight.
    To get your protein you will need meat, fish, greek yogurt, nuts, cheese and maybe protein shakes. Try and get more expensive things like meat on sale so you save money for the rest of your groceries. Buying bigger packages and bulk cooking for own 'ready meals' is cheaper than buying just enough for one or two servings.
    To get your cals up, include high cals foods like full fat dairy, olive oil in your cooking, nuts, nut butter, avocado etc.
  • sleeper256
    sleeper256 Posts: 10
    Oh sorry I thought anyone could see it. Ok then

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    General Mills - Cheerios, 2 cup 200 40 4 6
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup 86 12 0 8
    Naked - Orange Juice, 16 oz 220 54 0 4
    Generic - Fresh Pressed Cider Mill Apple Cider, 8 oz 120 30 0 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 626 136 4 18
    Lunch
    Pop's - Hot Dog With Bun, 1 hot dog with bun 297 24 18 11
    Onion - - Raw Chopped (2 Tbsp.), 2 tbsp 16 3 0 1
    Applebee's - French Fries, 1 serving 390 53 18 5
    Add Food Quick Tools 703 80 36 17
    Dinner
    3 Eggs Scrambled - Scrambled, 2 Egg Scrambled 193 0 15 13
    Add Food Quick Tools 193 0 15 13
    Snacks
    Kroger - Reduced Fat Vanilla Wafers 2012, 10 cookies 186 36 4 1
    Archer Farms - Heart Healthy Raw Almonds Unsalted, 1 oz (28g/1/4 cup) 160 6 14 6
    Nature's Own - 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice 50 10 1 4
    Add Food Quick Tools 396 52 19 11

Totals 1,918 268 74 59
    Your Daily Goal 3,300 454 110 124
    Remaining 1,382 186 36 65

I don't really know the specifics on the lunch, I get it from a food truck
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,334 Member
    Yeah, she has great suggestions. Buy bulk chicken on sale, look in your meat coolers at the grocery. Cook ahead and freeze. Talk to the butcher for more suggestions. Frozen meals are not a good choice, they are expensive and small. Add extra cheese to your mac and cheese.

Eggs are good for protein and not expensive. Protein powder would be a good investment if you are on a budget and not getting much meat.

You have to eat if you want to gain weight. No other choice!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Make sure to get dried lentils and beans--they are super cheap. Peanut butter!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Eggs. (4 or more at a time)
    Whole chickens. (eat the skin)
    Higher fat ground beef.
    Butter.
    Whole milk.
    Bananas.
    Apples.
    Green Leaf lettuce.
    Tuna in oil.
    Cheese.
  • em9371
    From that diary:
    Switch to full fat milk, there is no reason to use skimmed milk if you are trying to gain weight.
    You don't need juice and cider, Keep the oj and replace the cider with a fresh apple.
    If you are on a limited budget id ditch the food truck, you will get a lot more nutritious food for the same $ if you make your own lunch.
    3 scrambled eggs for dinner is nothing. Add cheese / meat, some carbs and veggies.
    Your snacks look ok, maybe limit the cookies, increase the nuts and have some peanut butter with your bread.

Your protein is VERY low @ 36g, I eat around 130g a day and I'm female and only 5'5. At a very minimum you want to be eating 1g per lb of lean body mass, if you are trying to gain muscle you will need more than that.

My diary is open if you need any ideas (last few days fri-mon are not a good example but otherwise it's pretty good!)
  • chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Nuts are too expensive.

Get oatmeal - it's cheap when bought in bulk. See if you can't fit in your budget one of those bulk brand protein shakes from Costco. Decent quality for the price and helps tremendously in supplementing protein to the your diet. Walmart runs specials on their house brand once in a while too. Other than that, chicken chicken and more chicken. Drumsticks, thighs etc are the cheapest meat you can get. Chicken breast is sometimes on sale too. Rice is pretty cheap too. Get brown if you want to go with the healthier option. Potatoes... heck for the price of two servings of fries you can get a 5lb bag. Beans are also a decent source of carbs and protein.

By the way fast food is just about the worst way to get good nutrition on a budget.

But, I agree with em9371, your macros do not look right. I would say, you need 200 grams of protein, 100 grams of fats and 400 grams of carbs. That's roughly 1 gram of protein per pound, half gram of fat per pound and the rest from carbs.
  • sleeper256
    sleeper256 Posts: 10
    Sorry for not responding so quickly but I just went shopping yesterday. Thanks everyone I think I made some better decisions. But expensive ones....why is it so expensive??? I went from 20-30 to 50.

Here's the list. I bought from Ralphs (which is like California's version of Shaws or Market Basket)

Chicken fettucini Lean cuisine : 2.59
    Skippy's Creamy Peanut Butter: 3.49
    EZ Mac : 3.89
    Cheese : 2.00
    Cheerios : 3.00
    Vegetable Oil : 2.50
    Whole Milk : 2.00
    V8 Fusion : 4. 00
    Apple Cider : 2.30
    Cheez-its : 3.50
    Angel Hair Pasta (x2) : 2.00
    Stir Fry Broccoli n Veggies : 1.50
    Bush Baked Beans : 2.00
    Prego Onion/Garlic Tomato Sauce : 2.50
    Peanuts : 3.00
    Bologna : 3.00
    Deli Chicken Breasts : 7.00

I already have at work or home :

Ralphs Oatmeal w Apple and cinnamon
    Bananas/Apples
    OJ
    Cheerios/Honey Nut Cheerios/Raisin Bran/other cereals I forget

What do you think? I just got the cheezits because I wanted a tasty snack to go with the healthy one (peanuts) plus the nutrition for them didn't look that bad.

If you had a choice between cheezits and reduced fat vanilla wafers, which would you go for?

Thanks!

Oh one more thing, it seems like I'm overdosing on Iron by eating two cups of cheerios a day (a big bowl full). Is this bad? I'm pretty sure guys aren't supposed to have as much iron or something
  • em9371
    That doesn't seem much food for $50!!!!

You have got some good stuff, I would maybe get whole chicken next time, it's cheaper and higher in cals than chicken breast, also try and add fresh veggies and fruits for your vitamins. Olive oil is better for you than plain vegetable oil.
    You don't need to buy 'lean cuisine' if you want to GAIN weight, they are generally low cal small portions which is not what you need.

Plain oatmeal is LOADS cheaper than the flavoured sachets, over here 1kg of oats is 60p which is around $1, the flavoured sachets are about £1.50 / $2.50 for only 400g so £3.75 / $6.25 per kg, when those run out buy a bulk bag and add your own flavouring, you will get loads more for the same price!

Try and cook from scratch more too - for example the ezmac is $3.89, how many portions does that make?
    If you made your own - pasta $1, cheese $2, milk $2, I bet it would make loads more for the same cost and will be better for you, cheese has to be refrigerated so think how many chemicals are added to the powdered cheese to make it last for years in a box!!
  • em9371
    I dont think eating 2 cups of Cheerios will hurt you!
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    oh,cereal is fine.
    3300 cals is what i have to eat but i dont usually eat over 1000 - so i have no idea what you should.
    sorry,goodluck (: xx
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    fat is your friend - avoid lean this and diet that, such things are always more expensive than the standard one and have less calories, which is the opposite of what you're looking for.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Sorry for not responding so quickly but I just went shopping yesterday. Thanks everyone I think I made some better decisions. But expensive ones....why is it so expensive??? I went from 20-30 to 50.

Here's the list. I bought from Ralphs (which is like California's version of Shaws or Market Basket)

Chicken fettucini Lean cuisine : 2.59
    Skippy's Creamy Peanut Butter: 3.49
    EZ Mac : 3.89
    Cheese : 2.00
    Cheerios : 3.00
    Vegetable Oil : 2.50
    Whole Milk : 2.00
    V8 Fusion : 4. 00
    Apple Cider : 2.30
    Cheez-its : 3.50
    Angel Hair Pasta (x2) : 2.00
    Stir Fry Broccoli n Veggies : 1.50
    Bush Baked Beans : 2.00
    Prego Onion/Garlic Tomato Sauce : 2.50
    Peanuts : 3.00
    Bologna : 3.00
    Deli Chicken Breasts : 7.00

I already have at work or home :

Ralphs Oatmeal w Apple and cinnamon
    Bananas/Apples
    OJ
    Cheerios/Honey Nut Cheerios/Raisin Bran/other cereals I forget

What do you think? I just got the cheezits because I wanted a tasty snack to go with the healthy one (peanuts) plus the nutrition for them didn't look that bad.

If you had a choice between cheezits and reduced fat vanilla wafers, which would you go for?

Thanks!

Oh one more thing, it seems like I'm overdosing on Iron by eating two cups of cheerios a day (a big bowl full). Is this bad? I'm pretty sure guys aren't supposed to have as much iron or something

I grew up very thin and putting on weight was hard for me for a long time. So I have some idea of what you're dealing with.

You did great for your first time trying out new things. I agree with the others though about eating less fast food or food from trucks and learning how to prepare more of your own meals so you'll eat better and it'll be cheaper. And you definitely don't need the diet or 'lean' foods if you're trying to gain weight. I suggest you look around for a cookbook designed for beginners and start trying to learn one to cook one new recipe a week. I often cook enough for dinner that I'll have enough leftover for lunch the next day that I can take to work with me. I also will cook more on weekends and freeze some of it so I can have it to eat later when I don't feel like cooking. It saves you from spending $ when you don't have to. By the way, women love men who can cook!

Eating two cups of cheerios and having the cheezits is fine. When you're building muscle you need more minerals and other nuturiton so you don't have to worry about this so much right now. If you are going to be a meat eater (I'm a vegetarian), skip the heavily processed meats like bologna which adds more chemicals, unnecessary salt, etc. to your diet. In fact, avoid all processed foods as much as you can for your health and eat fresh foods as much as you can afford them. Second best to fresh foods are frozen foods. Canned and deli foods are the worst. Also, cooking chilis, soups and stews are cheap, filling meals especially if you eat them with or over brown rice or multigrain pastas (you want to avoid the 'white foods', like white rice, white pastas, white breads, etc. because they'll cause you problems in the long run). If you can afford it, buy yourself a crock pot and learn to use it to cook your food while you're away at work and you'll come home to the wonderful smell of your dinner ready when you get home.

Buying foods in bulk makes many things affordable, like nuts, nut butters, rice, lentils, beans, family packs of meat or fish, etc. Go to the Dollar Store or a similar place and buy yourself some large plastic containers to put your bulk foods in and you'll be amazed at how much $ you'll save this way and what you can buy in these large quantities that will last awhile. Freeze some of the meats or seafood in individual sizes and this will help you save money too because then you're only cooking what you need at the time.

Another tip from a former thin person: rest for at least an hour after your meals. It'll hellp your body with getting the most out of what you are eating. And make sure you're going to bed and waking up at the same time most days, getting at least eight hours of sleep everyday. This will help you reach your ideal weight.

Lastly, take all of this just one step at a time. And lean on your MFP friends. Feel free to add me if you like.

Best wishes!
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    I forgot to say that a great way for thin people to gain weight is to develop a habit of grazing throughout the day. This means you should eat your basic three meals a day but also plan to have snacks between every meal and after dinner. Your meals and snacks can actually be about the same size, smaller meals and larger snacks so to speak, if you have trouble with getting a lot of food down at once.

Hope this hellps!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Lots of good stuff said already, like moving away from the low fat\light stuff, so I won't go over that.

One thing I would raise, is why such a low budget for food? If you're serious about gaining some mass, you might want to see if you can rearrange your budget to have a bit more for food - both quantity and quality.

Fortunately I am in a situation where I don't have to worry about this kind of thing so much, but when I was a student and my money was tighter, I considered my body and health important in my list of priorities, so didn't go too tight with my food and supplement budget, and made my savings in other areas.
  • Just a thought -- the cheapest cuts of meat are often the fattiest, so you could save some money and get more calories that way. Whole bone-in chickens with skin on, *not* lean ground beef (the usual 80/20 stuff), stew meat, etc...