HELP! INSANITY and gym?

Options
Hello! I have done INSANITY before and totally loved the results but started getting bored doing it over and over and over...so I got agym membership. I recently went through a 4 year break up, a move, and a new job...resulting in about 4 months of random, not as great exercise and definitely a lot more unhealthy eating. I am around 10-15lbs heavier than I want to be, and I want to go to the gym since I pay for the membership but I also feel that doing INSANITY again helps because it keeps me motivated and on a schedule.

SO, my question is how do I do both? I have heard somewhere to do weight training first then cardio, but I feel like if I went to the gym and did weights then did INSANITY I might die :) I am just trying to figure out a new schedule and try to include both...I don't feel like I know enough about fitness plans.

What are the best exercises/plans for weight loss and toning up? Weight training then cardio? Long cardio? Intervals? INSANITY? P90X? I want to get back in shape and FAST!

thanks for all the help!

Replies

• Meeperslove
    Meeperslove Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am doing a P90x/Insanity Hybrid.. You could go to the gym and lift for three days and then do Insanity for the other 2/3 days.
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think you need to alternate. That is what I am doing. They say that muscle confusion is the best thing to do so I go to the gym one day and do cardio and weights, then I might do p90x or Insanity the next, then I will take a day off, and maybe go for a run or walk the next.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I,m finishing my 3rd week of insanity and have started running a couple of days now. While adapting to the cardio i have put the weights on the back burner ,but plan on hitting the gym again this week until phase two. I would do weights first though , maybe have a small snack and give the cardio your best. good luck
  • Nwilliams112
    Nwilliams112 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. You should alternate. Do the gym one day and then insanity the next. I have not done Insanity as of yet. But it is on the wish list, still trying to survive P90X. I have heard that Insanity is like a cardio workout. You could lift weights at the gym one day than Insanity the next day. Just a suggestion.
  • luis6088
    luis6088 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you like the gym then stick to the gym. Do Insanity on the days you cannot make it to the gym or if you feel like staying home. Most importantly stick to your nutrition plan, that is key.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    when i did insanity.. i did weights instead of the recovery day and I did weights/running on the rest day...

best idea? no.. but it definitely helped me more than insanity alone to train for tough mudder and get in even better shape!
  • missblissj
    Options
    Hello! I started Insanity on Monday the 4th. I am totally out of shape and so far it is kicking my butt. Anyways, I get up every morning around 6 and do the Insanity program, go to work for 9 hours and have a 1 hour lunch in that time which I take a 20-30min brisk walk, after work I hit the gym for 1.5ish hours and basically do a combination of the Elliptical high intensity (Usually 35 - 50mins), and the treadmill and rotate weights (arms one day, legs the next).

I think doing one in the a.m. vs one in the p.m. has really helped me. I don't feel worn out at the gym as long as I have enough food during the day.

Like I said, this is my first week so it is a new routine for me, but I am doing good and excited for the weeks to come!