Couch to 5K

Options
My friend brought this to my attention about running.

I have a hard time thinking about running, except maybe if I was being chased...

Have any of you tried this program or do you know anyone who this has worked for? I have a hard enough time walking at a brisk pace on the treadmill for 45 mins, I'm having some serious doubts that I will ever be able to run...

Replies

• Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Here are lots of people who successfully completed Couch to 5k.

All I can tell you: Start slow! If an interval is too hard to run, slow down even more. In the beginning it's all about finishing the intervalls.
  • RainyDayParade
    RainyDayParade Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 4 of couch to 5k and I am telling you it works! I feel like a real runner right now and the intervals are enough to push you a little bit but not too much. Give it a try, if you need a buddy you can also friend me!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I started it a few weeks ago. It really is great! I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I was never motivated to run but wanted to be a runner. This program has definitely helped a ton. Its only 3x a week and if it's too much you just back off a little, or take a rest and forge forward. Give it a whirl, it's free!
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k in February and it took me around 45-50 minutes, and I was scared I was going to be embarrassed and be the slowest person in the 5k..but I wasn't. I also have a hard time staying on an elliptical or treadmill for a long period of time but in my opinion it's much easier to go further distances outside because you're not on a boring machine and you're competitiveness kicks in and you just plain flat out feel good to be doing it. It doesn't matter if you walk a 5k, jog, or run it. Whatever you do it's a positive step(s) in the right direction! You can do it!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I did my own little variation of this program last year.
    Another program to check out is Jeff Galloway's walk/run program.

I felt like you last year. I could run for literally 15 seconds at a time. Now I can run over 5 miles without stopping. And I'm running my 2nd half marathon in 2 weeks.

If you try it, start SLOW. And don't be afraid to tweak the program to meet your own needs.

Good luck!
  • kiolinski
    kiolinski Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on the second week of the program and really liking it. I use the iphone app Get Running that trains you to get to running 30 minutes straight. I started a blog where I write about how things are going with the program which you can see here: http://www.couchto5katy.wordpress.com If you have any questions or need encouragement let me know! I highly recommend it!
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm currently doing week 2 for the 2nd time. My friend and I are super out of shape and so far have done both weeks twice. I NEVER thought I would enjoy running and now I really, really do. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's hard and I still feel like I'm gonna die in the begining but after a few intervals, I honestly feel like I'm flying. It's the weirdest thing but also amazing. I can't wait till we do our 1st 5k and can run at least most of it, if not all of it (that would be super amazing!). Try it, it will be super hard in the begining but it's totally worth it.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I did'nt think I'd enjoy running, but honestly I could'nt live without it now. I did my first 5k two weeks ago and I surprised myself when I came in first place for my age group :happy: It's something you come to enjoy more and more. There is nothing more mind clearing to me than a good run outside on a sunny day.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Personally I think you should do what motivates you. You may want to join a running group to try it out first. I am not a runner and likely will never be due to a knee problem, but what really works for me - from couch to being active - is finding a sports that "clicks". Good luck!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running. HATE it. But since I did C25K I love it! I ran my first race last year and was hooked. Now I've got my husband and kids joining me on 5K's and we've joined a running club together :-)
  • drcoleman
    drcoleman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found the Couch to 5K program to be totally doable. I used the smartphone app, which took all the guesswork out of it: It tells you when to alternate walking and running. I could not run one lap around the local track when I started, but I was diligent with the program and can now bust out a 5K run with ease. I absolutely recommend it, but I don't think I would have stuck with it if I'd had to calculate the intervals myself without the app.

Two things that helped: I set up a schedule - Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays - and dedicated my lunch hour on those days to running. I made a public commitment to my friends and coworkers, which helped keep me accountable.

More than anything else, though, I registered for a 5K race scheduled for about a month after I was to finish the program. It gave me something concrete to shoot for, and also left me some fudge room if I fell behind the schedule. I cannot recommend this strongly enough. Sign up for a race now, even if you currently can't even make it to the fridge without panting. You'll totally be ready if you stick with it. Good luck!

Final plug: MyFitnessPal grossly overestimated my calories for running when I entered them manually. I started using a Fitbit and found that the estimates were much more accurate.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I just did day ONE today... I got the worst shin splints! :( did anyone else when they first started?
  • magicae
    magicae Posts: 19
    Options
    I just did day ONE today... I got the worst shin splints! :( did anyone else when they first started?

Yeah, I got them too. And now I've hurt my knees as well... My tip is to maybe double the warm-up walk and then stop to do some stretches. There are some videos on YouTube with stretches to prevent shin splints.
  • sarahjenkins77
    sarahjenkins77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 of C25K, its an amazing programme and I run for 25 minutes at the weekend... At the start of each week I think i'll never do that, but seriously you can do it, its all achievable. Good luck
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I finished it and I absolutely love running now. I used to be the kind of person who could run for a minute tops before I had to stop, gasping for breath. I'm entering my first 5k race in July now :)
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i'm in week 5 now. the first couple of weeks i spent looking ahead saying 'i'll never be able to do that' but so far, i can! so now i think i can do anything as long as i follow the programme.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just finished it also! I love the results, running isnt bad either :wink: The first while i thought I was going to die, then when I first completed a mile I felt so accomplished, I was hooked! Its so worth it and you can do it, dont doubt yourself for a second!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I did C25K next month i will run a 10K race it is doable im living proof :bigsmile:

get yourself fitted in a proper running shoe shop who will video your run on a treadmill , after doing this my shin splints were cured due to me pronating while i run and i started to enjoy the runs

start slow and i mean slow its about finishing the session forget about how long it takes

the estimation is that you should do 5k in half an hour .......................for me mission impossible at my weight and age it takes me 48 min to cover 5k ..........im now down to 45min

I hope to improve that time in the future but ill weigh a lot less when i do it:bigsmile:

Get off that couch and run :bigsmile:
  • ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    I really want to try this but I'm too embarrassed to run outside and I don't have a gym membership. I play football (soccer) at university and I can run about just fine then, but as soon as I try to job, I get bored/knackered after 5 minutes. I also have dodgy knees, even though I'm only nearly 20, so I don't want to put too much pressure on them.