How to make porridge (oatmeal) more interesting?

Options
louisa_jay
louisa_jay Posts: 16 Member
I love porridge (i believe in the US you call it oatmeal), it's low in calories and fills me up until lunchtime.

I make mine with half a cup of oats, a cup of water, 2 teaspoons of golden syrup, a splash of semi-skimmed milk and very small handful of raisins and sunflower seeds = approx 192 calories.

But it's beginning to get a little boring, so I'm looking for new ideas.

How do you make porridge more interesting?

(Original thread was posted on the general diet forum here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/589178-how-to-make-porridge-oatmeal-more-interesting)

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I like dried cranberries or prunes. I also enjoy cinnamon and diced apples (a bit of honey for your sweet tooth might also work here). Some ganola would give it a little texture. And honestly, I'll eat almonds with almost anything. I love almonds.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I used dried blueberries or cranberries or honey.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I was going to say throw in any random fruit that takes your fancy, blueberries, cranberries etc, nuts, seeds, applesauce anything. Try mixing it up with a nut milk like almond or coconut.

Or instead of hot you could make a batch of oat cakes and reheat and top with yoghurt
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have porridge every morning with semi-skimmed milk, blueberries/strawberries/raspberries and banana with a little golden syrup or sweetener.
    You could try it with cinnamon and apple with cranberries or honey and ground almonds.
    Quaker 2minute oats come in loads of different flavours and can be done in the microwave or the pan and come pre portioned (between 180 and 230 kcal including the milk).
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ooo porridge. My favourite breakfast :)

My additions are -

Softened chopped apple, raisins and cinnamon
    Nutella and crunchy peanut butter
    Raisins and PB
    Frozen blueberries and agave nectar
    Frozen blueberries and mixed seeds

I pop the blueberries in the pan while the porridge is cooking. I love the colour :)
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    buy steel cut oats if you don't already.

also, try adding a spoon of peanut/almond/cashew butter when it's cooking.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump for added ideas

I've done nuts, varies fruit, varies low sugar james, honey, brown sugar, almond milk, peanut butter, a few mini chocolate chips.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Add peanut butter and banana and maybe some cinnamon.
  • kdiment
    kdiment Posts: 31
    Options
    Here's what I do:

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup sliced strawberries
    A packet of Truvia

Optional: add about 10 or so almonds
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and maple syrup.
  • louisa_jay
    louisa_jay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I like the sound of apple sauce and cinnamon - lots of great ideas.

On the other thread someone suggested refrigerator oatmeal - made with oats, yogurt, milk and fruit - I'm trying that too!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup and/or bourbon.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love it with some Sultanas and a bit of Cinnamon :)
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    walnuts and maple syrup taste good
  • michellepierce1
    Options
    cinnamon, brown sugar and walnuts yummy
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I sometimes like to use oatmeal (pinhead oatmeal) rather than porridge oats/rolled oats. It's difficult to find in the shops these days, though (although you can buy it online). I usually cook porridge with water and a bit of salt because that's the way I ate it as a child, but it might be an acquired taste! I have it with yoghurt or cold milk, and sometimes add some broken walnuts. You can also add muesli when cooking for a bit of a change.

I'll happily eat porridge oats raw with yoghurt, but they do have a bit of a floury taste which isn't for everyone. If you mix them with yoghurt and leave them for a while the taste improves. They're nice to eat this way with grated apple and honey.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    1 cup oatmeal + 2 tbsp honey

1 cup oatmeal + 1 large banana

or put a banana + 2 tbsp honey if you want a really good breakfast. Thats what I do and I enjoy it alot
  • hlouisej
    hlouisej Posts: 45
    Options
    I also am a porridge lover. Usually I add banana or fruit or raisins or blueberries. For a treat I add one small square of dark chocolate and let it melt. That's heavenly.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Alot of people do not get in enough protein. Protein powder (chocolate flavor) in oatmeal is amaaaaazing. tasty, healthy, perfect.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Fresh raspberries and walnuts for me. The raspberries get melty when they get warm so it's like jam running through the oatmeal. My favorite breakfast!