healthy eating and sleeping

Options
I always find that when my diet includes healthier foods, my sleeping goes all to pot. I can fall asleep easier and get a better sleep, but I wake up at 5.30am everyday which is just no use if I'm working a late shift. I feel wide awake at 5.30am, but I go back to sleep because I know I'll be exhausted at night if I don't, then I wake up at again 7.30am and again, finally at 8.30am but by 8.30am, I feel tired, foggy and just rubbish. Am I oversleeping? This has been the routine for the past couple of mornings, but even when I sleep until 8.30am, I'm always really tired by the time I finish work so I don't really fancy waking up for good when I first wake up.
On one hand, this waking up earlier thing is great because sometimes (rarely!) I start work at 7am and getting up at 5am was always a struggle, now it isn't, but on the other hand, I want to be able to sleep in when I can, I really don't need to be up at 5.30am most days.

Replies

• adrianfm1977
    adrianfm1977 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi
    they say in a study in mens health .. that we all need around 8 hour non broken sleep .. for our body to fully recover from a working day.. as we are working our bodies more and in taking a lower amount of calories then this sometimes changes the way our body copes . this in turn would mean broken sleep or even a feeling of dizzy spells .. when our met rate is low.. drinking fluid like water or orange juice before bed or during your waking hours will help this feeling.. building insulin and lowering fatigue
    hope this was of some help
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If I get up early (6am-7am) I feel rubbish at first but wide awake for the rest of the day whereas if I sleep in a bit I feel groggy for the rest of the day, probably oversleeping and prefer how I feel when I get up early, sometimes it's too hard if you don't have to though!
  • ljma84
    ljma84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it best if I just stick the same sleep pattern no matter what I'm doing, which means I get up around 5.30am. And as you did this morning I fit in a workout before I get ready for the day. As long as you are getting enough sleep, generally agreed to be 7 or 8 hours you'll be fine. What about cat nap later if you are on different shifts?