At-home Workouts

Options
I am looking for some different recommended at-home workouts for someone who is just starting out and is a CREAM PUFF! haha I am definitely not in great shape and want something that is going to PUSH me but not KILL me. I have been doing Slim in 6 by Beachbody but I want something to be able to switch it up with. I like using the resistance band and want to combine strength training with cardio.

What do you use?

Replies

• strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Well, Slim 6 is a great program. And I have seen some pretty drastic transformations. Try Chalene Extreme. It incorporate weights/bands and cardio.
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Power 90 or P90X. Even if you are just starting out you can still do P90X you can just modify the moves. The videos show how to modify the moves so anyone can do them
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Turbo Fire. It is great cardio and the strength/tone is all band:).
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Shakeweight!
  • Jensaystoyou
    Options
    @Greggags2 I actually originally bought P90X and when I put it in... it totally intimidated me. When I get under 200, I plan to give it another go, but my body is so heavy right now... I just won't be comfortable attempting it. I definitely plan to put it into use in the future, though! :)
  • Jensaystoyou
    Options
    I would suggest Turbo Fire. It is great cardio and the strength/tone is all band:).

I will check this out. I really do love that band! :)
  • Jensaystoyou
    Options
    Well, Slim 6 is a great program. And I have seen some pretty drastic transformations. Try Chalene Extreme. It incorporate weights/bands and cardio.

Yeah, I really like Slim in 6, but I don't want to get bored. I plan to use it much longer than 6.. and I want something to interchange with it. I will look into Chalene Extreme that you suggested. :)
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I really like Zumba. Because it is dancing it was good for me just starting out as a cream puff myself. Dancing you can start out at your own pace and work up your endurance. Now I find myself trying to do more of the drastic moves they are doing where in the beginning I was modifying.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am 12 days into P90. I'm really loving it so far!
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started out with 30 Day Shred then moved onto Ripped in 30. If you are intimidated by P90X you should check out P90 or P90 Master Series, I have tried them all and they are all great.

Good Luck
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    Turbo Fire is fantastic! So much fun and a nice balance of different workouts so you don't get bored! It incorporates cardio, strengthening, toning, core exercises, high intensity interval training & the music is great so it doesn't even feel like your working out half the time!
  • yabba45
    yabba45 Posts: 35
    Options
    I use EA Sports Workout for the Wii..Great program that works different parts of the body each day and has 3 levels of difficulty...Ea Sports More Workouts is my all time favorite.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have P90X(Brilliant), P90X2(Core focused), Insanity(Hardcore Cardio) & Turbofire(Fun. But still hard Cardio), I would recommend TurboFire & when you feel ready put your P90X in the player, it really is VERY modifiable :)

Russ
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    @Greggags2 I actually originally bought P90X and when I put it in... it totally intimidated me. When I get under 200, I plan to give it another go, but my body is so heavy right now... I just won't be comfortable attempting it. I definitely plan to put it into use in the future, though! :)

Don't let P90X intimidate you. I started doing P90x when I was 220 pounds and the 1st couple of days, I wanted to throw up, but it got easier and easier each day. It is one of my favorite workouts. Some of the others that I really like are Zumba. Jillian Michaels also has some great workout DVDs out. Lot of people started with 30 day shread. It is a 20 minute workout and there are 3 different workouts and you do it for the entire month. Search the message board for some review. Good luck and the most important thing to remember is to pick some workouts that you really like (and will enjoy doing), so then it doesn't feel like you are actually working out :-)
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am a Jillian Michaels die hard fan like others are for PX90 and Turbo Fire. I started out with Turbo Fire yet I hurt my knee (part was I have carpet that limited my moves and not doing the workout properly) and became frustrated, me personally, because it was hard to catch on she went so fast. Combining this and being out of shaped upset me and kept me from wanting to work out, I felt like a failure. JM 30 Day Shred is great for beginners if you want to try a video.
  • craizydaizy
    craizydaizy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Fit. You walk two miles, but stop at intervals for strength training using the resistance band. She has many other videos as well where you can walk up to 5 miles. This is always my go-to video when my knees start hurting from other work-outs. It exercises them without overly straining them. I usally burn 200-300 cals for 30 mins using this one.
  • nikki_0522
    nikki_0522 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started out with Slim in 6, but I found it to be so boring that I couldn't stick with it. The bulk of my weight loss has been from Turbo Jam. I love it!
  • skinnyl0l
    skinnyl0l Posts: 63
    Options
    try the insanity workouts :) it's awesome, but very hard!
  • Roshams
    Roshams Posts: 77
    Options
    Cream puff, I like that!! me too me too!

I just started the Ten Minute Trainer program from Beach body.

I like it, because if I can't get a full workout in, the least I can do is ten minutes. Apparently in ten minutes you burn as many calories as a 30 minute run.

It's hard, but it's a different move every minute, so you only have to struggle though a minute.

I highly recommend it. It's a good way to jumpstart yourself into a workout routine, and perfect if you don;t have a lot of time.

Let me tell ya, I never knew I could sweat so much in ten minutes! LOL

And of course, Tony Horton's dorkiness always lightens the mood :)

Good luck!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I like the Nike fitness training app, if you have an ipad, it's great! And a little easier for starters then P90!