Eczema?! Please help!

Options

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have several friends who have had success easing the symptoms of eczema with aloe based moisturizers. I sell a brand they really love. Most skin diseases of this nature don't have a cure, but there are ways to improve the look and ease the symptoms.

A good mineral oil free, aloe base moisturizer can really help. If you are interested in what I sell, I would be happy to tell more or gather testimonials, but I don't want to advertise and get into trouble.
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I've had eczema since I was born, and I've been using small amounts of prescribed triamcinolone cream for upwards of 7 or 8 years with no harmful effects. That's just me though. I have a nickel allergy, so I use it where it breaks out on occasion.

With that said, make absolutely sure you shower after swimming, and lotion up. There's nothing that irritates my skin more than if I don't shower immediately afterward, and shea butter lotion works wonders. I recommend Gold Bond.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    bump - My son has Eczema - so many helpful suggestions here.
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    From age 7 I used a high dosage steroid cream everyday, applying it 4 or 5 times every day too, on instructions from my dermatologist. When I was 20, they told me that it's really bad to use it more than 2 or three times a week as it significantly thins the skin... That'll explain my transparent skin then!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I found a dermatologist that would see me today. I was told that it is contact dermatitis. "Use a steroidal cream to clear it up, and an over-the-counter cream that I just happen to have a whole pad of coupons for..." Blah, blah, blah. Treat the symptom... Just as I knew would happen. Western medicine is so screwed up. I explained my concerns with steroidal medications. She insisted that I trust her. After all, she uses the same steroidal ointment, and she is pregnant. This was supposed to make trust her? It just made me think she is nuts. I'm supposed to go back in a week. If it isn't cleared up, then we'll do patch testing. But if it is cleared up, then we just ignore that it ever happened? Pretty much. That was that. No time for discussion, time to make $ treating the next person's symptoms... If I didn't have to take a half day off work for every appointment, I would shop around for a better doctor, but I have to work so I can keep getting this insurance to pay the ****ty doctors, and to get my paycheck so I can pay the ****ty doctors the chunk that isn't covered by insurance. Grrrrrrrr.....

Okay, but now at least you know it is indeed eczema. So start researching. I agree it's a ridiculous and backwards system in many ways. I had to do the same thing with migraines. I've always had migraines, when I was younger I just suffered through them (pressing my head against the wall and trying to fall asleep in a dark, quiet room). The first doctor I asked talked to about them tried me on a couple of different medications - all of which were new and just on the market. They made me ill, sure the migraine pain would be gone in about an hour, but in the meantime I was shaky and nauseous, sometimes vomited, and couldn't do anything but lay there - might as well have just had the migraine. But they got really bad for a couple of years and I read up a lot about them on my own and was able to find ways to diminish them somewhat and then found a new doctor who was more willing to work with things the natural way, but I still knew more about migraines than she did. It's just the way things currently are. It's still better that you know what it is for sure. I hope you find a way to treat it!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Western medicine is so screwed up............. No time for discussion, time to make $ treating the next person's symptoms... If I didn't have to take a half day off work for every appointment, I would shop around for a better doctor, but I have to work so I can keep getting this insurance to pay the ****ty doctors, and to get my paycheck so I can pay the ****ty doctors the chunk that isn't covered by insurance. Grrrrrrrr.....

Not all 'Western' health care is delivered in the USA style, don't lump as all in together :tongue: :wink:
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    I have suffered from this my whole life and I am not on tablets that keeps it clear, but when I went swimming and I was broke out we used to put vaseline all over my body to keep the cholrine from getting onto my skin x
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I've had eczema all my life.. Was really bad when I was young and has started breaking out again in the last few months, please don't refer to it as a disease.. I feel gross enough as it is.

I think its the cold weather/chlorine in the pool that has been making mine come up again as I was fine for years and its only recently started again. I find that a decent covering in unscented moisturiser keeps it under control.. I doubt if you'll need stereroid cream as that is for really bad cases.

Try moisturising every day (or twice, once in the morning and once before bed) and put a very thick layer on to make sure your skin has plenty.

If this doesn't help then go to the doctors, as I've found there is only so much you can do and a decent moisturising routine works best for me :)
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I get it a lot, and if it's bad, something that works for me is baby oil gel applied to wet skin, straight out of the shower. It really helps with the tightness and stinking when it cracks etc, because I find the skin is softened by my shower, and the baby oil gel retains the elasticity that the moisture gives. Because it's a gel, it's not greasy either. And my skin is super soft afterwards :)

Look for your triggers as well and learn to avoid them. For me it's stress. And if that happens when the seasons change, I break out in the most horrible way (big weather changes always make me break out)
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I found a dermatologist that would see me today. I was told that it is contact dermatitis. "Use a steroidal cream to clear it up, and an over-the-counter cream that I just happen to have a whole pad of coupons for..." Blah, blah, blah. Treat the symptom... Just as I knew would happen. Western medicine is so screwed up. I explained my concerns with steroidal medications. She insisted that I trust her. After all, she uses the same steroidal ointment, and she is pregnant. This was supposed to make trust her? It just made me think she is nuts. I'm supposed to go back in a week. If it isn't cleared up, then we'll do patch testing. But if it is cleared up, then we just ignore that it ever happened? Pretty much. That was that. No time for discussion, time to make $ treating the next person's symptoms... If I didn't have to take a half day off work for every appointment, I would shop around for a better doctor, but I have to work so I can keep getting this insurance to pay the ****ty doctors, and to get my paycheck so I can pay the ****ty doctors the chunk that isn't covered by insurance. Grrrrrrrr.....

^^This pisses me off to no end!! My wife is in the medical profession, I have worked in the medical business as well, your stereotype of doctors is so wrong on so many levels it isn't funny at all. I agree that there are some doctors out there that are not as good as others, but there are plenty of physicians that do take the time and interest in their patients to properly diagnose and treat the issue. The first step in your treatment process is to change your not so pleasant attitude toward the medical profession and those who work in it!!

Sorry I clicked on this thread.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    ^^This pisses me off to no end!! My wife is in the medical profession, I have worked in the medical business as well, your stereotype of doctors is so wrong on so many levels it isn't funny at all. I agree that there are some doctors out there that are not as good as others, but there are plenty of physicians that do take the time and interest in their patients to properly diagnose and treat the issue. The first step in your treatment process is to change your not so pleasant attitude toward the medical profession and those who work in it!!

To be fair - they are talking about a specific doctor, not a stereotype, and have said they would like to look for a better doctor. Implying she is fully aware there are good doctors around.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Any sudden change that is a worry is well worth checking with a doctor. (Don't worry about being forced into using steroids etc. - only you decide whether to accept the Dr.s suggested treatment.) However eczema can be caused by all sorts of things. It is common in one branch of our family. Some 'citrus flavouring' or whatever is in jelly sweets sets off many of us. Clorine - washing powders - shampoos - (with or without perfume!) can be trouble for others. Natural things can be just as inflamatory - sitting on grass in shorts sets off the legs of many children. A change of diet can be a temporary irritant. (Eating less oil/fat does dry out the skin and make it more likely to be irritated) Even the arrival of spring can do it! Most of my family will tell you that a major cause is stress. (My Dad has a little patch on one ankle - he would bend to scratch it and we would guess which of us had set it off this time... was it my brothers 'exciting' driving lesson - or my sister's late night party - or my accidental weeding of all his new baby carrots?) My daughter has a patch on her arm at the moment - and is preparing for an exam. You can use it as a marker to relax a little - so perhaps it helps save your heart and blood pressure? Keeping skin moist and staying calm/cool helps the symptoms.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've suffered bad eczema my whole life. Evening primrose is supposed to help though I've had little success. Steroids don't even work well for me.

I'm with you, my brother and I both had it bad as kids, but we have conquered it.
    We take Evening primrose and cod liver oil. Stay away form any cream with chemicals in them. When it flairs up best thing I have ever found is Oilatum Emollients, it so cheep and usually gives me perfect skin in 48 hours!

:flowerforyou:
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options

To be fair - they are talking about a specific doctor, not a stereotype, and have said they would like to look for a better doctor. Implying she is fully aware there are good doctors around.

I for sure did not get that reading the post or the origional post either. Her comment "Treat the symptom... Just as I knew would happen. Western medicine is so screwed up." Everything that was said was generalized talking about how doctors are just interested in making $$ and getting kickbacks. Doctors do not get kickbacks, they are illegal and are forbidden by the drug companies. I know, I have worked in a medical clinic as an accountant.
  • Neonazu
    Neonazu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar for both external application and internal consumption. I'm trying it cause there has been many benefits associated with it. :)

I had eczema for ~12 years. 17 now. My worst was at my primary-secondary school age where I would eat whatever in the day and suffer at night.

I would recommend you to not eat fast food, not drink soft drinks and to add more fruits and vegetable into your diet.

I got better because of the anti-biotics medicine and steroid cream that my doctor gave me because at that time, it was absolutely terrible. Of course, I've reduced the intake now but it really helps in controlling and subsiding it when I really really need it.

Don't EVER let this overcome you.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I tried a tanning bed and it worked for me... I was using cream and still getting it. I tried tanning 1 or 2 times a week and bam!! gone
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Not the same thing but I suffered from very bad psoriasis for many years. It completely covered my scalp and when really bad (when under stress) part of my face as well.
    I can't tell you how that effected me socially to be that disfigured. Its is incredibly itchy and torturous because you always want to scratch it. Just touching you scalp or effected skin causes the flaky skin to fall off into super dandruff so there is always a charming cover of skin flakes on your shoulders. Under the skin flakes the skin is red and sore, sometimes it will bleed.
    I spent years trying to get it fixed and using whatever was recommended by doctors and dermatologists.

Finally what did work was recommended by a new hairdresser that I went to. Neem oil. Its very very cheap to buy. I think it is not well known by the medical professional because drug companies haven't worked out how to make money from it so it isn't pushed forward as a treatment to medical personel. I put this on my scalp and felt very quick relief from the itching. After wearing it overnight with a towel wrapped around my head I washed my hair. Repeated this 3 times that week although after the first treatment my scalp looked clean and the itchyness has disappeared and then that was it for 2 years it was gone. If I start to see it coming back (slight bit of flakyness) I do one treatment and that lasts me another year or so. Its like a miracle. I don't know how it works as I believe psoriasis is an autoimmune problem, but it did dramatically for me.

I have heard that it works on eczema as well although I don't know anyone personally who has used it for this. Remember to patch test anything in case of a reaction.

This site has information on it and you can order from them as well. They make alot of claims I can only vouch for it freeing me from psoriasis outbreaks.

http://www.neemoil.com.au/index.php?_a=product&product_id=22

Any doctors or medical scientists out there this stuff is amazing and worth looking into.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of the info. I never knew what the itchy scaly patches were until i started googling it the other day. I so far have only gotten it on the inside of my thumb - and trailing down to the web of my hand in between the thumb and forefinger. I have wanted to get a manicure done for the last few weeks but was too embarassed to go. Hopefully some of these fixes will help!
  • chrissytrivette
    Options
    i have eczema on my hands. it is annoying when it happens but the cremes are absolutely not affordable in the slightest so I just deal with it.

doctor recommended dove soaps, or 'the least harsh you can find' as he said. try not to use alcohol products on your skin as they will dry it out and make the itching worse.

get it looked at by the doc. it might be eczema, might not! you can't know til they check it out.

^^ This! I have eczema on my hands as well. I freaked out because I had a bad rash and it kept spreading. I went to the doctor who couldn't come up with a diagnosis so I was referred to a dermatologist. I was given a steroid shot to help the redness and itching and a cream to get rid of the rash. I was told to use Dove soap, avoid coming in contact with any chemicals or cleaners (even dish soap breaks my hands out so I wear gloves while doing any kind of cleaning), and avoid any lotions and body sprays that aren't designed specifically for people with skin conditions. I also have rosacea so I have to be super careful what goes near my face or I look like a tomato for a few hours.
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've had eczema for most my life and the last couple years it's been really bad. I'm thankful that I made it to the dermatologist, they're not bad people. Yeah the creams can be bad if you use them everyday for years but it seems like you have a mild case so treat it aggressively, don't miss applications of the cream and it should go away and you should be fine. My dermatologist also recommended getting Cetaphil skin cleanser, clean your body and hands with that and then apply vanicream to the dry areas (you can purchase this at either a dermatologist office or at target) and it should help keep your skin from having eczema break outs.