So disappointed

Options
I have busted my butt for the last 4 weeks. 3 days a week with a trainer and on those days do 45 minutes on the treadmill, I run at 5.0 any where from 1/4 of mile to a mile and walk at 4.0 the rest of the time. I average about 3.33 miles. The 2 days a week I'm not with my trainer I"m the treadmill for 60 minutes with the same routine. Yet I gained 1/2 pound in a month. Yes, I lost inches (6.25) and I have stayed within my calories with the exception of 2 or 3 days during this month time frame. Has anyone else experienced this issue. I really want to throw my hands up in the air and say forget this!

Replies

• MaidenofLaurus
    MaidenofLaurus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Never let the scale alone determine your success.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you know that you've lost inches, then the number on the scale really doesn't matter at this point. You can measure your progress in other ways. :smile:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Throw away the scale, invest in mirrors and measuring tapes.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You said you lost inches, that means you gained muscle and lost fat!

Don't just go for what the scale says. Your clothes should fit better, you feel better... Keep up the good work, the pounds will come off! :smile:
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Never let the scale alone determine your success.

I really like this
    >Never let the scale alone determine your success...thanks I have to make myself not weigh in every day.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Go to this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/585630-never-done-this-before-pics

These are my progress photos, I hope they help... I too have been all about the scale and what it's been telling me for years!! Until one day I decided not to let it run my life. I hope my photos and explanation can help you find some encouragement to keep going. NEVER GIVE UP! :)
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If you know that you've lost inches, then the number on the scale really doesn't matter at this point. You can measure your progress in other ways. :smile:

THIS^^^^ Thankfully you measured before you started, or you really wouldn't know that you are having so much success! I didn't do that. Truly wish I had!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    unless you wrtie your weight on your forehead, nobody know what you weight but everyone can see you shrinking.

Don't sweat it
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would say the lost inches should mean so much more to you than a number on the scale. If I were happy with the way I looked and I felt healthy, I wouldn't care if the scale read 100lbs or 300lbs.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    PLEASE try not to fixate on the scale. I would rather lose inches over pounds any day!!!!
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    Losing the inches says it all!!! You ARE seeing results!
  • Bazzy72
    Bazzy72 Posts: 20
    Options
    I like the way you think!!
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Have you done any measuring? Increased water intake? You sound like you are working hard but I agree the scale is the last place I look.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    are you watching your sodium intake
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Not to be a meany but muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

This! One of the hardest things is to not see that scale move so quit looking at it. It's not a good indicator that you're losing fat.
  • efindlay
    efindlay Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have felt this way so many times during my weight loss process. However, I believe that losing inches should be a great incentive!!! My deal is I have recently found out that the calories one gained by working out, should be consumed througout the day, otherwise the body goes into starvation mode, whatever that means!! I researched it online, so trying to increase my calories with protein shakes, nuts, etc. Here goes nothing!! Good luck by the way!!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    THIS!

Best piece of advice I've ever been given by a health expert: "Get rid of the scale." It lies! The scale is an inaccurate way of gauging your level of fitness and health; and it can discourage you because it doesn't give you an accurate view of where you're at health-wise, regardless of how hard your working. (I'm living proof- I lost 2 dress sizes and only a couple pounds in the process. If I were to go merely by weight I would have given up long ago!)

Take progress photos. Take measurements. Ask yourself... How do my clothes fit? Do I feel stronger? Do I have better endurance? Those are the things to focus on. Get rid of the scale!
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    On the topic of the OP....You are doing great! Keep up the good work and don't worry about the scales. Being able to fit into something new is always a great feeling!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    1. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. 1 pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat.

2. Here is a link to a post in the Unofficial MFP FAQ group....there are a ton of helpful threads there. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390214-expectations-during-weight-loss

Good luck!