I need ideas for packing a clean lunch!! cold salads, etc...

Options

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    gazpacho and some lean protien salad like chicken.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    One of my favourites is chunks of cucumber and tomato, tossed with balsamic vinegar and fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Can add some chunks of bell pepper and onion as well. Add a bit of crumbled feta to give some extra flavour (I find a little goes a long way!), and to add protein, I will toss in some chickpeas. Could have chicken on the side or toss in some cubed at the last minute, or add a hard boiled egg on the side.

And the chicken salad with grapes, apple, and curry in mayo/yogurt is really tasty, too!
  • smithhm12
    smithhm12 Posts: 23
    Options
    Now that it is summer, I LOVE making fruit salads. I will pack in a tupperware bowl - watermelone, honey dew, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, etc.... I have found that this is extremely filling and so nice on a warm day. :) I might pack a yogurt for a snack later but most of the time that fruit salad stays with me all day long.
  • Nanou1975
    Nanou1975 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What I love to do is make a salad with only vegges (no lettuce) with a different protein (egg, chicken breast, etc) and dressing to change it a bit.

I just cut my vegetables in chuncks as soon as I buy them into a big container and prepare a few different proteins that I prep in seperate containers, then as I'm preparing the lunches I just grab some veges and a protein trow them in my lunch container, pick a dressing and it's done. I've also added some pasta to the mix for a bigger lunch (like for a family picnic). I also make some gaspacho that I freeze in individual portions, it's a great lunch and it's a good icepack at the same time. It also last a long time in the freezer so you can make a big batch.

I do the same for my fruits (but not the ones that can turn brown like apples, bananas and pears) and it's a quick and easy step done for lunches. I love to use pinapple and watermelon because the juice makes it more "fun" and sweet and it looks like the little fruit cups you can buy for the kids but without the syrup.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I cant do lettuce either so I sub fresh spinach or other greens instead. Cabbage is also good.
  • mrsfortune
    mrsfortune Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do a chicken salad that is da bomb. You can put it in a wrap or just eat it as is. Perfect for a summer lunch.

Cold rotisserie chicken breast, cubed (however much)
    halved red grapes
    slivered red onion
    slivered almonds
    granny smith apples diced
    I do a 1/2 fage greek yogurt and 1/2 low fat mayo combo (as much as desired)
    curry powder (this is only if you like that sort of thing, you can leave it out)
    This I have to try!
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do a chicken salad that is da bomb. You can put it in a wrap or just eat it as is. Perfect for a summer lunch.

halved red grapes
    slivered red onion
    slivered almonds
    curry powder (this is only if you like that sort of thing, you can leave it out)

That sounds yummy, thanks for sharing :D
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just pack a boiled egg, low fat string cheese, an apple, half a cucumber in slices, and few wasa crackers with the laughing cow spread for lunch.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You could try hummus, with some flat bread with tomatoes and cucumbers. Also meat pasties (meat turnovers basically) can be eaten cold. We often take this stuff when we go camping.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I saw something on Pinterest about packing salads in mason jars.. Put the dressing on bottom so everything else doesn't get soggy :-)
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Bump, this is great info!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get your kids involved. My kids love eating what they have made. Pasta salad with whole wheat rotini, black olives, roma tomatoes diced, cucumber diced, sliced thin red onion, tuna/chicken or turkey pepperoni, then just a fat free viniagrette.
    Simple and yummy. You could add some feta cheese too if your kids are adventurous.
    Have a great summer, you are doing it right!!:flowerforyou:
  • als1210
    als1210 Posts: 8
    Options
    How about a Caprese salad? Tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil drizzled with olive oil and pepper. My favorite!
  • jazzie2421
    jazzie2421 Posts: 45
    Options
    I trade lettuce for broccoli slaw. It has a little bit of a crunch and spice, and it doesn't get all soggy.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options

halved red grapes
    slivered red onion
    slivered almonds

This sounds amazing!! Thanks for sharing :) Yum!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Chickpea Salad:

1 can of chickpeas (rinsed to reduce sodium)
    1 can of no-salt added diced tomatoes (or about 3-4 fresh tomatoes)
    1 can of water packed in water, drained
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsely
    Pepper to taste

Mix all together and enjoy in servings!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favorites:

Roll-ups (just deli meat rolled up)
    Brocoli slaw (really good with a little bit of ranch)
    Grapes
    Sliced strawberries
    Egg salad (2 tsp mayo for every egg; I use lite)
    Carrots and humus
    Apple
    Peanuts and/or Almonds
    Flatouts (for wraps instead of bread)
    Yogurt (greek yogurt is the best! Has lots of protein)
    Almond milk (as a treat you could add Ovaltine)

Hope I helped :flowerforyou:
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Chickpea Salad:

1 can of chickpeas (rinsed to reduce sodium)
    1 can of no-salt added diced tomatoes (or about 3-4 fresh tomatoes)
    1 can of water packed in water, drained
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsely
    Pepper to taste

Mix all together and enjoy in servings!

This sounds yummy....I assume you meant TUNA packed in water?
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump! These all sound so delish!!
  • prunella1066
    prunella1066 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had this salad at a baby shower this past weekend and it was very different and quite YUMMY!! Of course I had to get the recipe, and as I was looking it over, I realized there is some sugar and bacon in it. I'm sure it can be made into a much healthier salad. But thought I would share anyway.

Broccoli Salad

Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
    4 tbs apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar

Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Add mayonnaise and refrigerate overnight.

Salad

5 cups fresh broccoli (bite size pieces)
    1 apple, diced
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    1/2 red onion, diced
    8 slices bacon, crumbled
    1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Mix all salad ingredients, add dressing and mix well.

Was an interesting combination but quite good!!