Morbidly obese cat is equivalent to 600 lb. human

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    My dog eats her poop sometimes. I'm convinced that it's helped her stay at a healthy weight.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Our pets are all at a healthy weight range, except for our older one. And it's not because he's over fed, it's simply a lack of exercise. We do the most we can with him, but his back legs are too old for him to move around for long periods, he's not "overweight" he's just a bit chunkers.

Pet owners need some education on how to care for pets, if you don't know - do some research, or get a pet that's less maintenance.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    My dog eats her poop sometimes. I'm convinced that it's helped her stay at a healthy weight.

My dog eats OTHER dog's poop. It's so gross.
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options

My dogs eat cat poop. I've never seen a dog that eats its own poop.
    They hit my cats litter box like it's a candy store.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    That poor cat weighs more than my 5 year old. That's scary.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    My dog eats OTHER dog's poop. It's so gross.
    Ours is a toy poodle. She tried to snack on my dad's golden retriever's poop the other day, until I intervened. She thought she had died and gone to poop snack heaven.
  • Queenbec2
    Queenbec2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a fat cat, granted not THAT fat ( nowhere near), but he is just fat. He doesn't like to be as active as his brother, and he likes food. He eats ONLY dry food and water. He wont' touch canned food and doesn't eat table scraps. He's just fat. As long as he can still get around, groom himself, jump where he wants to go, and is healthy (other than being fat), I'm not going to make him suffer through a diet. He is what he is. While THIS cat was excessive, it seems animals can come in all different shapes and sizes, just like people.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My cat would be another "Meow" if I let her. She was a shelter kitty, and had been outside for weeks and weeks before brought to the shelter. I was new to cats, so my cat-lover friends told me to "free feed" her. I had one of those vacation feed things that releases food as needed. Well, within a month or so, she was overweight! She apparently had the "as long as food is available, I should stock up" mentality. I stopped free-feeding her, got the info from the vet on how much she needs. She meows like crazy whenever her bowl is empty, but she's a healthy weight now.

Too bad Meow's owner didn't do the same.

I had a cat like this. She almost starved outside so when there was plentiful food she ate and ate. After about 4 years she figured out the food wasn't going to go away and she started only eating when she was hungry.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Our pets are all at a healthy weight range, except for our older one. And it's not because he's over fed, it's simply a lack of exercise. We do the most we can with him, but his back legs are too old for him to move around for long periods, he's not "overweight" he's just a bit chunkers.

Pet owners need some education on how to care for pets, if you don't know - do some research, or get a pet that's less maintenance.

I think that is part of the problem too. A lot of people look at cats as a low maintenance pet, but the truth is that they can have just as many special needs and health problems as any other animal. My MIL's kitty has diabetes and almost died because she didn't know what was wrong with him. He is doing better now that he is on medicine and eating special food.

Anything can happen, and a responsible pet owner should be prepared for those things. At least you are trying to help your kitty lose weight and exercise! That is more than a lot of people would do I think. My 10 year old male cat is playful as ever because I've always tried to keep him active and of course my son loves playing with the cats and their toys too. But sometimes genetics cause them to have problems no matter what you do. One of my females has arthritis in her hips so jumping is very hard for her. She still hops onto our bed and sometimes onto the couch, but some days I have to pick her up because she just can't do it even when she is trying. :(
  • angrydolly
    angrydolly Posts: 22
    Options

Just something to think about when buying food for your kitties, for those of you who do own cats. The LEAST you can do is buy your cats a brand of food that lists MEAT as the first ingredient, not a grain / vegetable / filler and give them some canned wet food or tuna on a frequent basis.

Skip the Tuna. The way food is processed for human consumption, what is added in, is horrible for animals. You're better off feeding either organic tuna, or there are brand of pet foods that are 95% meat, and certain "cat" tunas, that skip all the "human" processing.
    Plus, if you have a cat with urinary issues, fish is a BAD idea. long explanation why, just be really careful with Tuna.

And this story just kills me. I care about my animals overall nutrition as much if not more than my own, I cannot imagine letting any animal get that obese, especially when I control their food! I mean, I'm pretty sure Meow wasn't holding her at gun point demanding another hot dog.

Even worse, is that Meow is probably all that old lady had left, so even if she loved her kitty, she probably had no one else to help her with him.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options

If they are doing this they are missing something in their diet. You might want to ask your vet.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Oh I can just see the next diet craze
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

Just something to think about when buying food for your kitties, for those of you who do own cats. The LEAST you can do is buy your cats a brand of food that lists MEAT as the first ingredient, not a grain / vegetable / filler and give them some canned wet food or tuna on a frequent basis.

Skip the Tuna. The way food is processed for human consumption, what is added in, is horrible for animals. You're better off feeding either organic tuna, or there are brand of pet foods that are 95% meat, and certain "cat" tunas, that skip all the "human" processing.
    Plus, if you have a cat with urinary issues, fish is a BAD idea. long explanation why, just be really careful with Tuna.

And this story just kills me. I care about my animals overall nutrition as much if not more than my own, I cannot imagine letting any animal get that obese, especially when I control their food! I mean, I'm pretty sure Meow wasn't holding her at gun point demanding another hot dog.

Even worse, is that Meow is probably all that old lady had left, so even if she loved her kitty, she probably had no one else to help her with him.

Thank you for the info! I did not realize that. I don't give them tuna very often, thankful for that now. Usually we just buy them the wet canned cat food!
  • angrydolly
    angrydolly Posts: 22
    Options
    Unfortunately, if it wasn't for my Princess of a boy cat and his health issues, I'd have never known. He absolutely cannot have fish at all, even in his food, and I feed them 85% meat grain free dry food, and 95% meat wet food, or else its just a bad scene. o.o
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

My dog used to eat his own poop when we first got him, they learn it off their mothers apparently as the mothers like to keep the area clean when they're young.
    Anyway, we taught him not to do that, as it's quite disgusting.

We used to have 2 cats as well, and given the chance, he'd eat their poop out the cat litter too! Along with their cat food!!
  • djlindstrom
    djlindstrom Posts: 48
    Options
    I feel bad for Meow. I cried when I saw the news that he died. I always feel bad when these pets are fat.

I've always had cats in my home, all been free fed. The only really big cat I ever had was Buddy, he got to be around 25 pounds, but he was solid, mostly muscle. When he would jump up on me sometime, lol, it would almost knock the wind out of me. His little brother Smokey grew to be almost 20 pounds, and very little fat on that boy too. They were just big boys.

Now I have one boy, and he's such a thin little man, and very adorable.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Imagine the marbling in the meat, though. :love:

too soon?
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    too soon?
    It's been 2 human days since the cat died. According to a cat years calculator I found, 2 human days (.005 human years) equal 0.1 cat years.That equals out to 36.5 cat days -- over a month for a cat.

No -- I'm good.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    too soon?
    It's been 2 human days since the cat died. According to a cat years calculator I found, 2 human days (.005 human years) equal 0.1 cat years.That equals out to 36.5 cat days -- over a month for a cat.

No -- I'm good.

While I'm angry for this poor cat..and love cats...this made me laugh.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

too soon?

Was the cat's name really Kobe?