So disappointed

Options

Replies

• CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. 1 pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat.

2. Here is a link to a post in the Unofficial MFP FAQ group....there are a ton of helpful threads there. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390214-expectations-during-weight-loss

Good luck!

Oh for ****'s sake, people, get over that argument. Everyone is saying the same thing, and everyone knows what the other person means. 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle weighs more than 1 cubic inch of fat. Who freakin cares how you say it? The "by volume" part is inferred, and everyone knows it.

Hugs :flowerforyou: Did you not have your coffee this morning munchkin?

LOL, as a matter of fact, I didn't, and didn't sleep much last night either. Beware! :laugh:

Haha awwe, well I hope the rest of your day gets much better! :drinker:
  • jjohnston5791
    jjohnston5791 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. 1 pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat.

2. Here is a link to a post in the Unofficial MFP FAQ group....there are a ton of helpful threads there. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390214-expectations-during-weight-loss

Good luck!

Oh for ****'s sake, people, get over that argument. Everyone is saying the same thing, and everyone knows what the other person means. 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle weighs more than 1 cubic inch of fat. Who freakin cares how you say it? The "by volume" part is inferred, and everyone knows it.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you know that you've lost inches, then the number on the scale really doesn't matter at this point. You can measure your progress in other ways. :smile:

THIS^^^^ Thankfully you measured before you started, or you really wouldn't know that you are having so much success! I didn't do that. Truly wish I had!

The successes you are making are showing up on the tape measure! You need to ignore the scale! Take a deep breath and just keep going!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I think we're close to invoking her. Brace yourselves.
  • TasTam
    TasTam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Never let the scale alone determine your success.

I really like this
    >Never let the scale alone determine your success...thanks I have to make myself not weigh in every day.

I know you shouldn't weigh every day, but it is so hard to get out of that mindset!!! It does drive you crazy - the ups & downs!!
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Its a sign that Your trainer is doing a good job. Keep at it :-)
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have busted my butt for the last 4 weeks. 3 days a week with a trainer and on those days do 45 minutes on the treadmill, I run at 5.0 any where from 1/4 of mile to a mile and walk at 4.0 the rest of the time. I average about 3.33 miles. The 2 days a week I'm not with my trainer I"m the treadmill for 60 minutes with the same routine. Yet I gained 1/2 pound in a month. Yes, I lost inches (6.25) and I have stayed within my calories with the exception of 2 or 3 days during this month time frame. Has anyone else experienced this issue. I really want to throw my hands up in the air and say forget this!

What everyone else said... And besides, What good will it do if you give up? You'll just gain weight, and then what??? Never give up on yourself!!! Just sayin'... You are doing good, do NOT allow the scale to define who you are. You lost inches, so you are doing great in my book!!! :wink:
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, people might be able to give you some more constructive advice. Other than that all I can say is , 6 inches is great, if you are unhappy with the results tweak your plan a bit. Maybe you need to eat more (or less), change your macros (%fat/protien/carb that makes up your diet) or trade some processed food for more natural. I'm not sure. Your trainer may or may not be knowledgable about nutrition, but I'd print out a week of your diary and show it to him/her and see if they have suggestions.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    There are so many things wrong with what's been said...
    Just ignore the scale. It's not about a number, it's about general health.
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i think your inches lost is fantastic!! dont let the scale define you. it took me a long time to realize that, but i finally got rid of my scale. here is a post i wrote about it if you want to read... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/emgawne/view/why-i-hate-the-scale-247990
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Never let the scale alone determine your success.

Not to be a meany but muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

Muscle is more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. This is a better explaination.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Throw away the scale, invest in mirrors and measuring tapes.

What he said!! Go by your measurements and take pictures. The scale will only frustrate you. I've been there and finally threw my scale out. I can weigh in once a month at the gym, if need be.
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I saw a great Before and After post a few days ago on here. The person had actually gained a pound between the two, but it looked as if she lost 25+ because of how toned and muscular she had become. The scale numbers shouldn't disappoint you, which is why when you do your check-ins here, they also take neck, waist, and hip measurements. Your overall size is a much better indicator of your health than the numbers on the scale.

This. I've seen a few people post before and after photos on here at the same (or close to the same) weight and the transformations because of composition changes are crazy!
  • considermac
    considermac Posts: 59
    Options
    Yes I have the similair results. I have gone up and down (+ or - 3 lbs) around the same weight for over a month. What keeps me going is a I feel great! Yes I have loss inches too. My strength has increased and my clothes fit different. Hand in there. It will happen. Try some strength exercises to assist with the weight loss. I have heard it best to have both cardio and strength to reduce the lbs.

One thing, dont give up. Stay focused and determine to beat this. Dont let one month make your decision.

You can do it!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No offense to the OP. However, she is NOT gaining muscle by running and doing light strength training.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options

Not to be a meany but muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

^^ Agreed... Sorry but it's true. BUT, even though muscle weights the same it's smaller and looks so much better/sexier!

29lo1za.jpg

Love that pic.
  • marckilgore
    marckilgore Posts: 36
    Options
    I totally understand how frustrating this can be if you are trying to lose weight first, and size is secondary. I think people can forget that everyone may not have the same purpose to losing weight. Like it or not, there are things that motivated me to lose weight (inches were secondary) - and that was ALL I cared about until it the weight got down. How I looked was completely secondary. Those that don't understand this simply haven't been impacted by their actual WEIGHT measurement the way that others have.

1. Life insurance premiums are based upon Age, Height and Weight (and smoking, etc). Losing 26 pounds allowed me to get the same life insurance for $46 a month less. They could care less what my waist size was - all they cared about was my weight. Like it or not, many life insurance companies do not use body fat% or whatever - they use height and weight and do not allow appeals when calculating premiums. Health insurance companies have thankfully figured this out, but life insurance premiums are still affected by your weight - regardless of body fat % or how fit you are.

2. When in Mexico on vacation, I couldn't do the zip line with my family because my weight was too high. Pounds shown on the scale were all that mattered.

3. When wanting to ride a horse at a dude ranch vacation, I couldn't join in the fun because I was 12 pounds over the weight limit for being able to ride horses. It sucked.

Just because you may feel it is still a success to lose inches but not weight, please remember that sometimes losing inches but NOT weight may NOT be considered as a success to some people. Look at the heading of the message board - it's "General Diet and Weight Loss" - losing inches is not the goal, but simply an extra benefit of losing weight. Although I am now at the point where losing inches is more important to me, I first had to lose enough weight where I could shift my priority to how I look and feel instead of how much I weigh. Until that point, the first priority was bringing that number on the scale down.
  • Dwduprey
    Dwduprey Posts: 1
    Options
    I am feeling the same struggles. I had my thyroid removed 7 years ago because I had cancer. It has been a hard struggle ever since just to get my meds right..therefore the 70 pound weight gain. I feel like I have to work 2x as hard as others due to the fact that I have no thyroid (my metabolism). Maybe have your checked? If anyone else struggles with this or has some suggestions as to how to get the weight off when you have no way to change your metabolism (Mine is a pill every morning), I would be very greatful! Best of luck to you on your journey and YAY...loss of inches is good too!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how frustrating this can be if you are trying to lose weight first, and size is secondary. I think people can forget that everyone may not have the same purpose to losing weight. Like it or not, there are things that motivated me to lose weight (inches were secondary) - and that was ALL I cared about until it the weight got down. How I looked was completely secondary. Those that don't understand this simply haven't been impacted by their actual WEIGHT measurement the way that others have.

1. Life insurance premiums are based upon Age, Height and Weight (and smoking, etc). Losing 26 pounds allowed me to get the same life insurance for $46 a month less. They could care less what my waist size was - all they cared about was my weight. Like it or not, many life insurance companies do not use body fat% or whatever - they use height and weight and do not allow appeals when calculating premiums. Health insurance companies have thankfully figured this out, but life insurance premiums are still affected by your weight - regardless of body fat % or how fit you are.

2. When in Mexico on vacation, I couldn't do the zip line with my family because my weight was too high. Pounds shown on the scale were all that mattered.

3. When wanting to ride a horse at a dude ranch vacation, I couldn't join in the fun because I was 12 pounds over the weight limit for being able to ride horses. It sucked.

Just because you may feel it is still a success to lose inches but not weight, please remember that sometimes losing inches but NOT weight may NOT be considered as a success to some people. Look at the heading of the message board - it's "General Diet and Weight Loss" - losing inches is not the goal, but simply an extra benefit of losing weight. Although I am now at the point where losing inches is more important to me, I first had to lose enough weight where I could shift my priority to how I look and feel instead of how much I weigh. Until that point, the first priority was bringing that number on the scale down.

If weight is all that matters to someone, don't exercise. At all. Eat at a reasonable calorie deficit from your sedentary activity levels and the weight should come off pretty steadily. You'd be extremely weak and out of shape by the time you started exercising later, but as you said, that was a secondary concern.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You mean implied.

As a general rule: no socks with sandals.