How do you guys deal with sore muscles

Options
Julem22
Julem22 Posts: 107 Member
I have been doing strength DVD's (30 day shred, pink) and cardio for about a month now. I love it, I only do it 4 days a week, but my muscles are still VERY sore. I don't want to stop, but what makes it better? I drink tons of water and eat plenty of protien. I don't want to cut back. Any suggestions?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    A day of rest between hard/new exercises, and MORE EXERCISE!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Rest, walking, and stretching
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The answers really are drink lots of water, eat lots of protein (100g plus for me), and sleep 7-8 hours a night.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    the only thing that makes it feel better is doing more :(

a colder shower or bath than normal helps - hot water is not your friend at the moment.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The days when I'm really sore, I usually try and do a light exercise, like yoga or an easy run, because getting blood flow into the muscles warms them up and does wonders for helping them recover.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Ice packs on those really sore areas, stretch and stretch again! Also, agree with taking a day off, your body is telling you it needs a break. You don't want to get hurt. And protein! Protein repairs and rebuilds :)
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Protein shakes after my workout help a lot! (I usually forget them, and that's when I suffer;) Also, not forgetting to stretch, a good warm up and a few stretches after are good for the body.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I relish them. lol

Everyone above has great suggestions.

Light exercise
    good sleep
    water
    ice
    quality rest
    quality diet

I notice a difference when I take glutamine or not, could be placebo but the research is pretty good for it.

Took an ice bath one night, will never do that again, thought I was going to hyperventilate, lol, a whole bunch of squeeling. Pretty comical, it did help though.

My roller is me new best friend as well, feels great to dig around with some myofascial release with it. I've got a 2' length of PVC from lowes for like 6 bucks. love it!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Rest
    Protein and L-Glutamin
    Rest

If I really got at it on a Leg workout...ICE! ICE BATH! Hurts so good.

Deep tissue massages too
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I ask a girl for an inner thigh massage
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I work through it. The best thing for sore muscles is to increase the blood flow to them so they can heal/repair. Know what increase blood flow? Exercise.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Ice packs
    Rest
    Massages at Asian parlors that won't discuss services on the phone, only in person.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Also want to add...do not do static stretching with cold muscles or you could injure them. Before you stretch, make sure you warm your muscles up with walking, jogging, windmills, etc.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    Protein bar after workout.

Stretching.

soak in tub (cold water)

Oh and pop an anti inflammatory. :)
  • glosettes
    glosettes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Salt bath, ice-pack and, if my legs are sore from running, I use the foam roller (**best tool you can get to prevent injuries** and loosen tense muscles**)
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sleep.

J
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Stretching and Yoga.

If that doesn't work, find a sweet girlfriend who will rub them for you.

I'm still aching and sore. haha
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I like to ride my bike at a nice easy pace.
  • SteveK45
    SteveK45 Posts: 1
    Options
    I dig it. Seriously.
    Man, my muscles are sore... that is awesome. Muscle tissue gets bigger and stronger when it's broken down and rebuilt. This process is also known as 'sore'.

Others have said water and rest which are key. I'll add:
    Potassium is supposed to help. Go banannas.
    Get a massage (Yeah) or do it yourself (ehhhh). If it's your pecs, biceps, calves, you can rub them yourself. No magic here, just a couple minutes to improve/help blood flow.
    Cardio - light or heavy, depending on your desire to burn calories. Again, increased blood flow will accellerate muscle repair.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Rest, Protein, and L-Glutamine supplements.