Possible WW convert here...

Options
I've been following weight watchers online for 9 weeks now, and I'm motivated and feel like I'm doing well. It's just pretty expensive, to have to pay that monthly fee basically to just use their website.

My sister has lost 44 pounds using MFP, and loves it.. so I'm testing it out. So far, I'm loving the layout, and the fact that it's free!

I'm only around half way to my weight loss goal, so even if I can't afford to continue WW, I need something to help keep me on track!

Replies

• mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I did WW online a few years ago and lost weight, but it is pretty expensive. When I needed to lose weight (again) I started playing with MFP and find that I like it better. It is easier to find out calories than it is points and the community support is available if you ask for it. Plus the amount of food in the database is significantly better than WW online. I find that is the biggest plus for me.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I am very impressed with the amount of food in the database! That was one of the first things I noticed!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I made the switch from WW to MFP a little over two months ago. I've lost 65lbs since July 2011 and WW worked great for me in the beginning, but now that I'm disciplined and close to goal, I'm better off with MFP.
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Huh..I always wondered about WW. Is it worth the cost, or does the grass just seem greener on the other side? I love it here so far!!
  • mjlobeau
    mjlobeau Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i am also a ww convert. i lost 14 lbs with ww, but once i hit my goal, i gained 9 back. i didnt know how how to "maintain". so i'm starting MFP (again. i slacked off last month) good luck to you.
  • texasgal7
    texasgal7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have done WW many times in my life with pretty good success but always fell off the wagon when I hit a plateau or even had to quit because money was tight and I couldn't afford it. I found this site and I love it. I have played with it off and on for the past two months but am starting today dedicated to using this religiously to track and stay motivated to get healthier and get this weight off. I have a lot of weight to lose. I can use any encouragement and support.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    This is way better than WW. I love it and you will too. It keeps me on track, you have plenty of support, there is fun and games. And its free! What could be better?
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I was on WW a few years ago but found that I wasn't really getting good nutrition. There were some 100 calorie Hostess snacks that were only worth very few points and as a sweet-toothed, junk food junkie I inhaled those. I know that WW has changed their point system since but I'm having more success on a different program. I like MFP b/c of the food diary, resources, etc.
    Good luck on here! You'll find that people are very supportive. :)
  • jedmonson
    jedmonson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent WW convert too. I lost 50 lbs on WW back in 2003, but 20 lbs gradually came back over the next few years. Had to join WW again to get it off for my wedding in 2009... and I'm back up 20 again. Been on MFP for a week now and so far, so good! I think you'll like it - give it some time!
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Huh..I always wondered about WW. Is it worth the cost, or does the grass just seem greener on the other side? I love it here so far!!

I think it is only worth the cost if you need that extra incentive to stay on track. I have found the MFP has everything WW has and more. Especially since I started fully utilizing the community on MFP.
  • leidgreen
    leidgreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I too used weight watchers a while back. I really liked the recipes on their site - the Mexican Style Veggie Soup - Yumm.

The only thing I didn't like, aside from the cost, was that most of the fruits and veggie were zero points... Granted, it encouraged me to eat more veggies and fruits but in retrospect I was overeating like CRAZY. I don't know anyone that can say they are overweight because of eating too many fruits and veggies, but it is silly to say and think the 100 cal's in the 1 banana or the 400 cal's from the 4 bananas from breakfast has zero impact on the waistline.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    WW is easier, especially if you're new to the whole food tracking thing, because it's just tracking points as opposed to having to track calories, fat, protein, etc. Also, it tells you exactly how many points to eat per day, plus the number of points you get decreases as your weight does so it's almost an idiot proof diet plan (I said almost ;) ). However, I think MFP holds people more accountable because you set your own limits and forces you to keep track of everything that goes into your mouth.