DESK JOB........ I feel FAT!!

Options
Does anyone have a desk job here? I have a 9-5 office receptionist job and I am ALWAYS sitting down. I do try to get up here and there but mainly all my work is at my desk. I exercise in the morning before work 3 times a week.. I run and try to watch what I eat / eat healthy but no matter how healthy I might be eating or with those 3 workouts during the week, I STILL FEEL FAT!! Sitting on my A** all day..

and being pear shaped doesn't help the fact that my thighs and butt is constantly on this chair lol.
Anyone feel my pain?

AND.. if so.. can you gain weight like this?? even if you're watching what you're eating? Someone enlighten me!!

Replies

• audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    YES!! I feel moderately healthy with exercise and food but sitting at this desk for hours a day makes me feel so unproductive!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    LOL this is exactly how I used to feel!! I also have an office / desk job, I try to get up and walk around as much as possible. Don't worry about it so much, you're eating healthy and working out 3 x a week which is great :) Keep it consistent!
  • porrasc
    porrasc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job to and I sit 9.5 hours a day. I do my best to eat right and workout but it does feel like nothing is really happening.
    Honestly though with this type of life style it does take more time then say someone who only has to sit 2-4 hours a day or runs around all day.

For me I only gained weight because I wasn't working out or watching what I was eating.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I feel like I'm always getting up to go to the bathroom though because I drink 6 cups of water during the day!!

I get what you mean though. I keep loooking out the window thinking "I wish I could be out for a run right now"
  • reashamoriba
    reashamoriba Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    same here. during my lunch break I walk for 40 minutes to get a break from my desk LOL
  • shaymo10
    shaymo10 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    I have a deskjob, 8 to 5, but I'm losing weight lol.

I watch my diet though, like a hawk. Walk as much as I can, take the stairs and walk like 15 mins at lunch. I also lift weights 4x a week and do cardio.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Desk job here as well. I force myself to exercise during lunch for at least 30 minutes every day. That way I don't feel too bad on the weekend if I can't get in a workout.
  • onefuzzy
    onefuzzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too :( And we are constantly getting pastries, donuts, bagels, etc in the office! I find it alot more difficult to keep the lbs off now, than at my other jobs where I was always up moving around.

Great job just not good for my waist!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Yup, IT guy here, most of the day is spent sitting in my cubicle. I do try to get in a few extra steps here and there by taking the stairs and using restrooms on different floors, but for the most part, my butt's in a chair.

And well, I don't just feel fat, I pretty much AM fat. :laugh: Since I've started lifting and losing weight, though, I do notice quite a difference in how I feel, even while sitting down at the office.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what being "pear shaped" has to do with it. Sitting at a desk isn't good for anyone . I have a BMF and burn as many calories sitting at my desk as I do sleeping. I have an exercise ball at work to help, and I get up and walk around often. If you eat more than you burn (since your burn less sitting than you would standing/walking) you can gain weight. But as long as your aren't doing that, no just sitting won't make you gain.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ahhh same here!!!!!

I used to work as a waitress during my holidays when I was at uni, and at the end of the day you are exhausted and sleep so well. After work I am tired mentally but not exhausted in the same way, so it's a struggle to get the motivation to work out, but if I don't then I have so much trouble sleeping.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    spread your thighs apart and put them together. It adds up. Raise your legs in mid-air and keep it there for a bit. Want something harder? spread the thighs and close them while your legs are a bit above ground. Hope it helps

Also, mini-crunches. If you got your own cubicle or something you can lean back on the chair and do some crunches in the downtime (everybody has downtime)
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I jockey a desk and several PC's. Its hard to work in some exercise during the day especially when your team works across time zones. Lunch time is a great time for a meeting.. :sad: I try to get up early or work out late.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    yes. I get up and walk around at least once an hour. I also sip on a huge bottle of water all day, so at least it helps me fill that quota (and also i'm running to the bathroom several times per day)
    Your body is definitely burning less calories sitting there all day, but it only makes you fat if you choose to eat too many calories
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm on my butt 10hrs a day.. I work in a pretty unsafe neighborhood so walking is out of the question here.. I try to fit in walks before and after work to make up for it. It sucks lol
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what being "pear shaped" has to do with it. Sitting at a desk isn't good for anyone . I have a BMF and burn as many calories sitting at my desk as I do sleeping. I have an exercise ball at work to help, and I get up and walk around often.

Ditto.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have a 9-5 desk job, and on top of that, I sit on my *kitten* when I get home too.

But I exercise intensely 5 or 6 days a week and eat like a champ. Not fat any more, and getting stronger and fitter every day.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I don't have a desk job, but i sit at my desk on my computer at home a lot xD I just sit on my butt and not worry about it. Thats what I workout for later xD
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Desk job + STRESS = 60 extra lbs of me...

I've got half my office doing this with me: www.fitbolt.com

Every half hour, it gives you something to do, like a stretch or an exercise. Takes 30-90 seconds. Super easy to add a bit of activity to your desk job, but it's a definite plus to have someone else doing it too, because otherwise you may feel a little silly. My boss makes fun of us, but with 3 of us doing it all at once, it's no big deal. (Though he told us to make sure we didn't tell the CFO, because he might make it a company mandate to improve our health insurance premiums. I think that'd be awesome!)