Has anyone had success due to spinning classes?

Options

Replies

• josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i've been wanting to try spinning class...i'm pretty active so hopefully i wont make myself look to stupid. How many calories would you say you burn with these classes? or at least an estimate?

In an hour of spin class, according to my heartrate monitor, I burn between 470-550 calories, depending on what we're doing. And that's after losing 21 lbs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree that Spinning is for everyone. Is it difficult? Sure. But you can control your own pace and your resistance, so it is definitely a "get out of it what you put into it" kind of thing. I would recommend talking to your instructor prior to the class. He or she can give you some pointers on how to adapt the program to suit your level of fitness. But don't be scared off by some of the other comments. It is relatively low impact, fun and adaptable...a great place to start!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Here I'm wondering .."what the heck is a spinning class?"

Only one of the oldest indoor exercises in existence. .. an indoor bike. :laugh:
  • pixiee88
    pixiee88 Posts: 52
    Options
    I love spinning classes. The first time I went I was quite unfit, and I must admit it was a struggle to begin with - my thighs burnt. But the second/third time I went, it got much easier and I now go every week and LOVE IT! It is intense, but you can build it up and work at your own level if you're struggling and from my experience, the instructors are really helpful!
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to try spinning but was overweight and hadn't exercised.....I took the plunge and it was the best thing I have ever done. I agree that it is intense and for the first couple of weeks don't even try and keep up with the experienced spinners but it wont be long before your fitness improves and you get right into it.

Make sure your instructor knows you are new and helps you set the bike up, take plenty of water and make sure you have a towel to hand cos you will need it once you start the burn!!!

I feel so much better now and would recommend that you at least give it a go!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I :heart: spinning. Its hard the first time around, but honestly, once youve completed it, its an AMAZING feeling. Its all about you, you control it. The instructor will give you a little push, but if you cant stand the whole time, dont! Sit and do as much as you can :)
  • Lynn0713
    Lynn0713 Posts: 27
    Options
    I love spinning I am 55 wear a heart rate monitor and work as hard as I can I leave soaked with sweat I burn anywhere from 450-500 calories per hour. It depends on the instructor I think. The instructors at our facilities that have a lot of up down action seem to burn more calories for me. Good Luck:smile:
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been taking spin classes for like 8 years. It takes time for your behind to get used to the seat. It will hurt from the
    seat. I recommend getting a padded seat at a walmart or wherever you can get a bicycle gel seat. If you really get into it
    You can burn up to 800 calories in an hour.
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Spinning is a great way to burn a ton of calories and I agree with those that say it is for everyone. You can start at any level and move up difficulty as you build strength and endurance!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I love spinning I am 55 wear a heart rate monitor and work as hard as I can I leave soaked with sweat I burn anywhere from 450-500 calories per hour. It depends on the instructor I think. The instructors at our facilities that have a lot of up down action seem to burn more calories for me. Good Luck:smile:

Your calorie burn depends on YOUR EFFORT, regardless of your instructor :) (ha--I am an instructor).

If you are lucky enough to have bikes that measure your watts, try to keep them high; over 200 average throughout the class for the maximum burn. Here's a formula for converting watts to calorie burn, if you're interested:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/77130-calories-burned-using-stationary-bike/

Watts are a measure of your output; they are a function of your RPMs (speed) and resistance. Increasing resistance makes it possible to achieve the same watts at a slower pace, than would be necessary if you had lower resistance (so the lower your resistance, the faster you must pedal to keep watts up).

Watts are decreased when you stand; this is because it is easier on the body to use your body weight for the revolutions. This is not to say it will feel easier to stand/sprint, however it does not optimize watts, therefore does not optimize calorie burn.

Blessings.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i've been wanting to try spinning class...i'm pretty active so hopefully i wont make myself look to stupid. How many calories would you say you burn with these classes? or at least an estimate?

In an hour of spin class, according to my heartrate monitor, I burn between 470-550 calories, depending on what we're doing. And that's after losing 21 lbs.

thanks, i'll have to try it!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I concur with the others' who said 400-500 calories in an hour. That's about what I burn in spin, in zumba I burn 500-600 an hour - I think that's more because the lights are on and if you fall behind it's obveous. I think I *could* burn a little more in spin, but it's those blasted dark lights and loud music that give me just enough privacy to slack off - I go to the gym because if I tried to excercize at home - in private I'd slack. - Still like spin though :)
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm 49, just come back from a spin class my HRM is giving me 650cals burned although i did do 10 min on a rower after the spin class GO FOR IT and remember you don't have to keep up with the athletes in the class go at your own pace

and happy spinning:bigsmile:
  • claren1978
    claren1978 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi There, I'm a qualified RPM Spin Instructor and I would say GO FOR IT! Spinning is for everyone!

Just advise your instructor at the beginning of the class that you are a newbie and they will help you set up your bike and give you some advice as to the structure of the class and what to expect.

If at any time you feel its too much, turn down the resistance, sit down and keep your legs moving. Don't worry about people around you - they were beginners once!

The more you go the better you will get.

GO ON SURPRISE YOURSELF!!

Cx
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    At this point, I don't exercise at all. I've always wanted to try spinning classes. I've been told you can burn a lot of calories and really tone up from spinning.

If you don't exercise at all, do NOT start with a spinning class unless it is specifically slated for beginners. Spinning is intense and can be difficult even for people who are used to a lot of exercise.

I started a spinning class thinking it would be fine because I always did a lot of cardio, and it was one of the most painful things ever!

^^^this^^^ it's the one fitness thing I've tried that made me feel like I was going to die (and not in a positive way). It was agony and I hated every second...I very much doubt I'll ever put myself through it again and have mucho respect for regular spinners, they are superhuman ♥
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I took one class (1x/week for about 12 weeks). I started spinning while relatively sedentary, and although it would have probably been better to have "eased into it", I think it really changed me! It changed my perception of myself, how I "measure up" to others and to exercise in general. I went with my sister (who was way more fit than me) and we would be half dead at the end of the class, and our legs would feel like jelly for three days after, but we would absolutely beam with happiness (spinning gave us a crazy endorphin rush). If you choose to go to the class, introduce yourself to the teacher, let her know your fitness level, and don't try to keep up with all the other spinners. Our class had multiple levels in it, and I wasn't the only beginner and the instructor really encouraged all levels. I found it helpful to do more stretching than my instructor did at the end of class, but every instructor is difference. Also, I started having leg and feet muscle cramps, my instructor told me to take magnesium the night after the class, and it really helped!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Spinning is great for cals burnt. I didn't do it for 7months due to moving house, new gym etc but I just started back.

NOt only is it a good cal burn, but the sweat/toxin's I must be releasing from my body is fab. I have never sweated so much in my life. Seriously. Within 10mins, I wil be dripping in sweat, I push myself hard. You don't have to, sit down whenever you want, don't do the squats (I don't as I've dodgey knees), turn the resistance to whatever you want. Push yourself as hard as you want.

I love spinning.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agree with this although I think you need to build your fitness a bit first before you attempt your first class. I also think you need to do some weight trainer as well as the cardio you get in Spin to have success :)
  • nvestli
    nvestli Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    OK, lots of varying opinions here but my two-penneth worth is that spinning classes are exhausting but brilliant. However, I think it's really all about how much you put in - when the instructor tells you to up the resistance or go flat out, it's your call whether you do or not.

Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with spinning classes but I do notice weight loss and as some of the other posters have said, within a few sessions your bottom stops aching so much and you find you push yourself more and more.

I've just signed up for one at my gym tonight - dare to do the same?

Good luck!:wink:
  • nvestli
    nvestli Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi There, I'm a qualified RPM Spin Instructor and I would say GO FOR IT! Spinning is for everyone!

Just advise your instructor at the beginning of the class that you are a newbie and they will help you set up your bike and give you some advice as to the structure of the class and what to expect.

If at any time you feel its too much, turn down the resistance, sit down and keep your legs moving. Don't worry about people around you - they were beginners once!

The more you go the better you will get.

GO ON SURPRISE YOURSELF!!

Cx

Very well said - particularly the bit about people around you being beginners once too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!