Why can't people tell yet?

Options
So i started at 180 lbs about a month and a half ago and ive lost 16 lbs!! Yay! But... why can't anyone tell?? Everything that ive read has said that people should be able to start telling a difference at 10 lbs? The only people that have said anything are people who are just being nice because they know how hard im trying. Any thoughts??
Thanks!!

Replies

• DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    people thought i was crazy when i said i lost 14 pounds....it took till me personally when i hit 25ish pounds lost grrr
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    People who knew I was dieting started to notice at about 18 lbs. But I had lost THIRTY POUNDS (!!) before anybody who didnt know I was dieting commented on my weight! I am 5' 10" so a pound doesnt make the same amount of difference as my petite friends. What type of frame do you have? And how tall are you? These things will make a huge difference.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was at about 30 lbs or so before people began to notice...but I really didn't start getting comments about it until I hit the 50 lb mark. Don't let it bother you! You'll get there soon enough! :smile:
  • astrickland6068
    Options
    Hey, thanks for responding guys! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me or that my scales weren't lying to me! lol. Im about 5'6'' and i have a pretty average build i guess. Just waiting for that ,"Hey, are you loosing weight?" question!
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is awkward to comment- hey have you lost weight (ie: cause you sure needed to!) Remember this is for you not them!
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20... and the only difference I can see is that pants that I had to squuueeezzzeeeee into a few months ago, are now sitting real comfy. I think it probably takes (for my size anyways) a good 30 + lbs to be really noticable.

It probably depends on your size. I mean, 20 lbs on a person that goes from 140 to 120 is probably really noticable... But I started at 256 and I'm down to 235... and even I dont see much of a change.
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28 and barely anyone has noticed....so I wear my smaller jeans like a super model and they get to wonder why I'm so perky that day!
  • acelynp2
    acelynp2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't have a good answer for you but I do feel your frustration! I have lost 11 lbs (from 170) and even though I can totally tell, and hubs can tell, no one has noticed ;-(

Even people who know I am trying haven't said anything.

One thing to consider is whether you are wearing flattering clothes. If you are still wearing the same old stuff, but it's just baggier, it may be harder for people to tell. I wore a new, fitted, flatteringly cut dress the other day--which made me look thinner than I am--and finally someone commented! I figure I need to lose another 5-7 lbs before I get lots of comments. But maybe that won't be enough either, who knows!
    Just keep at it. You can tell and for me at least, that is plenty to keep me going!
  • GeminiFairy89
    GeminiFairy89 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Supposedly,Ive only lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks according to MFP and people have been saying that Im starting to look slimmer. I eat under my calorie goal daily. It probably varies with everyone.The one thing I am not trying to do is weigh myself everyday because then ill lose my motivation lol!

But at the end of the day, it shouldn't matter what people say or don't say,its about how you feel bout yourself.
  • BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    "It takes 4 weeks for you to notice, 8 weeks for family to notice and 12 weeks for the world to notice" - at least that's what pinterest says, hahaha. Give it 12 weeks and see how many people notice then!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until around 40lbs lost that people started to notice.
  • YourMassiveness
    Options
    The general rule of thumb is that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice, 8 weeks for friends and family, and 12 weeks for everyone else. This seems to hold true. I wasn't getting any feedback until I hit 3 months and now it's almost overwhelming. Hang in there!
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    quite frankly, the general public doesnt pay attention to things around them. It takes a big difference to catch someones eye... I agree. 25 lbs + then people notice.... how can u not!
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    What people are you talking about? My wife has noticed my weight loss more than I have. I see my parents sporadically and they noticed. No one at work said anything until last week, and I'd lost 50+ by then.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I, too, have lost 16 pounds. My husband keeps telling me to ignore the scale, and concentrate on how I feel-as well as how my clothes fit. All well and good (and my clothes fit better) but I would like people to notice as well. Given my size....guess it will be a while. Gotta stay on the path! I'm with you!
  • yarwy
    yarwy Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm GLAD someone else has had the same issue as me!!!! I am 4'11" (Actually 4'10 1/2"----LOL!!). Short & squatty!!! Have lost 28 lbs. since Jan. '12 and this has been one of my BIGGEST pet peeves!!!! WHY CAN'T THEY SEE IT???? I feel it!!! My coworker and I started together & she's a few inches taller & as soon as she hit 10 lbs., people were noticing!!! I do wear scrubs to work & she says it's because I haven't stopped wearing my "now baggy ones"...She says if I were to wear the smaller size that I need, people would see it....So I did today......NOT A WORD!!!! (Except her of course!). I'm a very conservatively dressed person, but I told her when I did get to my goal--- I'm gonna blow their socks OFF!!! From the clothes to the color of my hair---IT WILL BE NOTICED WHEN IT'S TIME!!!! LOL!!!!
  • yarwy
    yarwy Posts: 43
    Options
    Let me add this comment....I am not the type that really cares to be flattered nor am I fishing for any compliments!! I am VERY pleased with what I've done & my hubby noticed (I should add)....And that's ALL that truly matters!!....:flowerforyou: So, that being said, I was just WONDERING!?!?
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No one notices my loss either :(
  • kristi012173
    Options
    bump to read later
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for responding guys! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me or that my scales weren't lying to me! lol. Im about 5'6'' and i have a pretty average build i guess. Just waiting for that ,"Hey, are you loosing weight?" question!

Im built like you...and I lost 20-30 lbs before "friends" noticed... When I lost 40 everyone noticed!.... So i guess it depends where it sits. Hubby says he can notice after a few lbs (like 5) bc I tend to gain in my back first. So i guess i lose it there first also, and who would see that except him!? :)

So keep going.... if you see it and feel good...they will see it also!!