Bananas are as good a choice as cookies!

Options

Replies

• lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would take a banana covered in peanut butter over any cookie in the world :bigsmile:

I literally JUST had that. SOOOOO good!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a cookie in anything except the sugar profile. Even in that the insulinemic response is lower from fruit sugars because of the fiber that comes with them. They're packed with good nutrients. Not to mention they don't have any of the processed additives that your typical cookie would have.

Banana Ingredients:
    Banana.

Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients:
    Chocolate Semisweet [Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin An Artificial Flavor, Flavor(s) Natural]), Sugar, Flour Bleached Enriched (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron Reduced, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid (Vitamin aB)), Margarine (Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated and Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Water, Salt, Whey, Vegetable(s) Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Flavor(s) Artificial, Beta Carotene color(s), Vitamin A Palmitate added), Nestle Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks (Chocolate Semisweet [Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin An Artificial Flavor, Flavor(s) Natural]), Water, Nestle Toll House Morsels (Milk Chocolate [Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milk Non-Fat, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin An Artificial Flavor, Flavor(s) Natural]), Egg(s), Oat(s) Rolled, Corn Syrup Solids, Molasses, Baking Soda, Salt, Corn Starch, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Vanilla Extract, Vanillin An Artificial Flavor

I really like that answer :p

This blog post resumes very well my thoughts on that :
    http://evidencebasedfitness.blogspot.ca/2010/05/death-by-sand-when-do-fine-details.html

In my mind, if you are worrying about bananas, you are either :
    a) an athlete trying to drop from 9% to 7% body fat for the upcoming competition.
    b) diabetic
    c) a tool.

There are no other choices really...
  • Ingadinga
    Ingadinga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cookies have saturated fat, bananas do not.

I personally would prefer fructose found naturally in fruit over refined sugar.

I am fine with eating one banana, cookies I can't just stop at one.

Bananas win.

That's what I think.
  • elysianashes
    elysianashes Posts: 100
    Options
    The infographic doesn't pretend to say that cookies are good for you - it points out several times that this is ONLY based on what will fill you up longer, and that bananas still have more nutrients.

It also points out that there are much better choices than bananas OR cookies.

Stop arguing a point that the infographic isn't making :)
  • milkyway03
    milkyway03 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bananas are high in carbohydrates which means our bodies can process extra sugars from bananas into fat and store it in our bodies. Cookies are high in fat and carbohydrates therefore making it a lot easier to gain weight. Bananas are great for the nutrients they provide we just need to make sure not to eat too many or pair them to other high carb items. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in carbohydrates which means our bodies can process extra sugars from bananas into fat and store it in our bodies. Cookies are high in fat and carbohydrates therefore making it a lot easier to gain weight. Bananas are great for the nutrients they provide we just need to make sure not to eat too many or pair them to other high carb items. :)

But in a calorie deficit, lipolysis will still exceed lipogenesis in the long term, regardless of any short term effects of extra sugars.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

But in a calorie deficit, lipolysis will still exceed lipogenesis in the long term, regardless of any short term effects of extra sugars.

Also, carbs are ESSENTIAL to cellular respiration. Unless you don't like ATP, don't worry about carbs!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Oh **** I ate a banana today
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Devil.jpg
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    In terms of staying fulling and having a blood sugar crash later, yes they are about the same as cookies. BUT they have more vitamins and nutrients. Potassium is very important to those who work out.

So yes. Eat bananas AND cookies. Is that the question?

:flowerforyou:
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    i like bananas :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Devil.jpg

LOL
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    this add talks about sugar crashes and uses glycemic index. Did you get this off a diabetes website? in a diabetics case then i would say take your pick. OR Does your meals consists of large high carb and high sugars that you crash often?

if not then i'd say thats ****ing stupid. looks like an attention seeking, substance-less undergrad study. macronutrient intake is what counts. but seriously promoting this garbage Bananas = cookies = french fries is precarious for people wanting to practice healthy living.
  • Vi0l33t
    Vi0l33t Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a cookie in anything except the sugar profile. Even in that the insulinemic response is lower from fruit sugars because of the fiber that comes with them. They're packed with good nutrients. Not to mention they don't have any of the processed additives that your typical cookie would have.

Banana Ingredients:
    Banana.

Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients:
    Chocolate Semisweet [Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin An Artificial Flavor, Flavor(s) Natural]), Sugar, Flour Bleached Enriched (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron Reduced, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid (Vitamin aB)), Margarine (Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated and Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Water, Salt, Whey, Vegetable(s) Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Flavor(s) Artificial, Beta Carotene color(s), Vitamin A Palmitate added), Nestle Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks (Chocolate Semisweet [Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin An Artificial Flavor, Flavor(s) Natural]), Water, Nestle Toll House Morsels (Milk Chocolate [Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milk Non-Fat, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin An Artificial Flavor, Flavor(s) Natural]), Egg(s), Oat(s) Rolled, Corn Syrup Solids, Molasses, Baking Soda, Salt, Corn Starch, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Vanilla Extract, Vanillin An Artificial Flavor

I really like that answer :p

This blog post resumes very well my thoughts on that :
    http://evidencebasedfitness.blogspot.ca/2010/05/death-by-sand-when-do-fine-details.html

a) an athlete trying to drop from 9% to 7% body fat for the upcoming competition.
    b) diabetic
    c) a tool.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I would take a banana covered in peanut butter over any cookie in the world :bigsmile:

All. The. Time.
  • Vi0l33t
    Vi0l33t Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'll give up the cookies, but I won't give up bananas just because someone said it was bad when compared to an obviously bad choice.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'll give up the cookies, but I won't give up bananas just because someone said it was bad when compared to an obviously bad choice.

It makes me happy when people use common sense.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    In regards to cookie ingredients, if you make your own at home, it's likely they won't have as many additives. I still make oatmeal raisin cookies for my son, but I'd first reach for a banana than I would for a cookie!
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options

b) diabetic
    c) a tool.

HOMG I loled reading this hahahaha
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows bananas can kill you.