Anyone take Kickboxing classes?

Options

Replies

• lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I also would like to know what the is a difference between kickboxing and krav maga? Is it the same class?
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    Bump! I have wondered the same thing recently. There is also a place that opened up by my house. The only thing stopping me from trying it is that you need gloves (even for the free trial class). I'd hate to buy gloves somewhere and then not like the class :/

I was reading some stuff from Karate America (which who is hosting the classes for me), that says you can get free gloves for signing up...I don't know if that is online only or not. I will have to ask when I go there.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I do them once in a while and it is an awesome burn hard but well worth it
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It's a great workout and you will be sore the next day for sure! I stopped doing them for awhile because I burned too many calories in a class, anywhere between 800-1200 calories for the hour according to my HRM. I have done the cardio classes and the actual martial arts classes where we would actually spar each other.

Great workout, try it!!!
  • antypim89
    antypim89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well Ive been doing kickboxing for about a year now and i can honestly say that for me its given me strength/ weight loss/ confidence. It improves your cardio ten fold (in my opinion). I think the great thing about under taking a sport like this is that it clears your mind of outside distractions and gives you an hour or so a day to truely focus on yourself and your goals. To be honest i even got to the point were i didnt feel like i was working out but going for a bit of 'me' time.

Start by doing one class a week then build it up if you like it. Thats what i did and i found that my waist size dropped by 2 inches in a couple of weeks. It also provides an extra dimension to your training thus stopping that brick wall effect we all hit every so often.

Anyway ive rambled.

Good luck if you decide to go
  • caytee118
    caytee118 Posts: 55
    Options
    I took kickboxing at school and honestly it is the best thing in the world! I love it and am addicted to it! I'm even gonna get turbofire because it's mainly kickboxing :D My results weren't much weight loss but a bunch of toned muscle!
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    Well Ive been doing kickboxing for about a year now and i can honestly say that for me its given me strength/ weight loss/ confidence. It improves your cardio ten fold (in my opinion). I think the great thing about under taking a sport like this is that it clears your mind of outside distractions and gives you an hour or so a day to truely focus on yourself and your goals. To be honest i even got to the point were i didnt feel like i was working out but going for a bit of 'me' time.

Start by doing one class a week then build it up if you like it. Thats what i did and i found that my waist size dropped by 2 inches in a couple of weeks. It also provides an extra dimension to your training thus stopping that brick wall effect we all hit every so often.

Anyway ive rambled.

Good luck if you decide to go

Thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for!
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I also would like to know what the is a difference between kickboxing and krav maga? Is it the same class?
    Krav is the self-defense art the Israelis teach their fighting forces. It borrows heavily from Muay Thai/Muay Boran, Kali / Escrima, Kempo, and some traditional kung-fu systems. If you're learning Krav in a real self-defense setting, you're learning a lot of really cool dirty tricks... incapacitating opponents with throat strikes, eye gouges, chokes, etc... If you're taking a Krav fitness class, you're basically kickboxing with elbows and choke holds.

Kickboxing can be any number of things, but it's typically hand and foot striking skills based around a ring competition... rounds, judges, points, etc... add in more elbows and knees, plus upright "clinch" or "plum" grapling, and you're getting into Muay Thai. If you're working in a belt/grading system or towards a competitive application, you'll do pad drills, bag work, foot work, defense, etc... self-defense will be part of your training, but be secondary to the ring sport. A kickboxing class without pad work or ring skills is called "zumba." Avoid this at all costs. It will cause you to wear questionable workout attire with bizzare tassles and listen to indefensibly crappy reggaton music constantly.

///serious - speak with the instructors and see what the focus of their class is. Any martial art will provide great fitness benefits, but an aggressive class focused on life-saving skills may not be what you're after if you just want a good cardio burn.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    kickboxing / martial arts 'style' classes like body combat / TaeBo are very different to actual martial arts. They are all a great workout, but if I had the choice I would go for the real things every time.
    My husband did Tae Kwon Do / Muay Thai for years when he was younger and it always looked like hard work, I always wanted to try kickboxing but there were no classes in my area, I'd definetly try it if you have the chance!
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    Krav is the self-defense art the Israelis teach their fighting forces. It borrows heavily from Muay Thai/Muay Boran, Kali / Escrima, Kempo, and some traditional kung-fu systems. If you're learning Krav in a real self-defense setting, you're learning a lot of really cool dirty tricks... incapacitating opponents with throat strikes, eye gouges, chokes, etc... If you're taking a Krav fitness class, you're basically kickboxing with elbows and choke holds.

Kickboxing can be any number of things, but it's typically hand and foot striking skills based around a ring competition... rounds, judges, points, etc... add in more elbows and knees, plus upright "clinch" or "plum" grapling, and you're getting into Muay Thai. If you're working in a belt/grading system or towards a competitive application, you'll do pad drills, bag work, foot work, defense, etc... self-defense will be part of your training, but be secondary to the ring sport. A kickboxing class without pad work or ring skills is called "zumba." Avoid this at all costs. It will cause you to wear questionable workout attire with bizzare tassles and listen to indefensibly crappy reggaton music constantly.

///serious - speak with the instructors and see what the focus of their class is. Any martial art will provide great fitness benefits, but an aggressive class focused on life-saving skills may not be what you're after if you just want a good cardio burn.

Wow! Thank you for such great info. I would really love to learn the self defense and benefit with fitness as well. I would definitely prefer to come out of this fit AND able to kick butt. I am going by there today or tomorrow to ask some questions. You've given me some good questions to ask!

And thanks for the friend request!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes! I take kickboxing and it is one of my most intense workout. I LOVE IT!!!! We go for about 40 minutes and I can burn 800ish in that time. At some points I feel like I'm going to die but thats okay LOL. idk how all kickboxing classes are set up but ours is nonstop intense pace with mostly kickboxing (of course lol) and some other cardio thrown in. If you are looking for a challenge and a FANTASTIC workout I strongly recommend it!!!!!

Edit: I got so excited I forgot to put in my results. I can honestly say that I felt so much stronger and lost more inches doing kickboxing then some other activities. of course i combined that with a good diet but i think that the fact that it was so intense gave me really good results physically.
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    OKAY! So after some research, the gym offers Krav Maga AND Kickboxing separately. When I saw the sign kickboxing/Krav Maga I assumed it was the same class. My mistake! I feel silly now. I actually think I would rather take the Krav Maga classes, so I will ask about it. But I got some good info on Kickboxing too and it does sound like fun.

Lol, maybe I need to start a new thread...

The video on this site pretty much is sealing the deal for me...

http://www.floridakravmaga.com/
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to do kickboxing once a week (for about a year, until recently due to a scedualing conflict) and it helped me shed weight FAST and tone up great! Would definitely recommend it! Not to mention its super fun!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I've done Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, and Kickboxing.

Tae Kwon Do - Go for this if you don't like getting hit hard. It's light-moderate exercise. It will teach you how to point-spar.

Kickboxing - Go for this if you dont mind getting hit hard, It's great exercise. This will teach you how to fight.

Muay Thai - Go for this if you LOVE getting hit hard, don't mind slamming your knees and elbows into things, and it's also great exercise. This will teach you how to fight in a more practical sense (has clinching/grabs.)

Krav seems to be something totally different from gym to gym...
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I do a Cardio kickboxing at a Martial Arts place - we dont' spar with others in the class but we do a lot of bag work and a lot of HIIT work (i.e. X # of punches in a certain style then down onthe floor for 5 sit ups or punch punch jumpjack jumpjack punch punch) - there is also about a 10 minute spot work at the end - sometimes it is arms, other times its legs or abs...

I go 2x''s a week and the place I do it is awesome because they started it to help to community so they don't really "charge" (we paid a $40 one time fee that included gloves) - we have 14 year olds to 65 year olds (who has had a triple bypass)

I get a good burn of about 350-400/calories per my HRM for the 45-50 minute class (depends on when we start how long a session is)
  • bennieangel
    bennieangel Posts: 11
    Options
    I just took my first one at a boxing club last night! It was hard...but good! I am looking forward to more classes...and not feeling like I am dying 30 minutes into the 60 minute class..haha. I love the circuit method at my gym (time with the heavy bag rotated with time to work legs or arms (squats, arm lifts, etc) kept the time moving quickly! Though, I have to say the best part was hitting the heavy bag - it was super rewarding! Good luck!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You want a cardio work out - krav maga if you can find it.

Nuff said. :smile:

Krav Maga is cool if the teacher is good but typically the Krav Maga taught is a very watered down version of the good stuff.

Boxing / Kickboxing is more universal in-terms of self defense I would say.
  • mrsb102
    mrsb102 Posts: 16
    Options
    I do kickboxing 2xs a week and love it!
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You want a cardio work out - krav maga if you can find it.

Nuff said. :smile:

Krav Maga is cool if the teacher is good but typically the Krav Maga taught is a very watered down version of the good stuff.

Boxing / Kickboxing is more universal in-terms of self defense I would say.

I am unsure what KM you have taken or seen but Krav maga Worldwide instructors are not watered down and I have found the instruction to be absolutely phenomenal. I travel a lot and have gone to KMW facilties in LA, Austin, Florida and Colorado and have found the curriculum to be extremely consistent. This is probably due to the fact that KMW does not dilute the "brand" by just saying "oh- your a black belt? go forth and teach" like a lot of systems seem to do. KMW has a very intensive instructors certification course that is quite honestly brutal mentally and physically- and they have a significant failure rate.

I should note that of course take into account my bias as a KMW practitioner but if one does any research on how individuals get certified in the various styles KMW and Gracie instructors are probably very high on teaching an effective self defense system. One can leave your home facility and step into any KMW facility and immediately know what is going on without someone interpretation on the system.
  • sera799
    sera799 Posts: 9
    Options
    Depends if you're going to a kickboxing cardio class or an actual martial arts training in kickboxing. They are different things I think. I go kickboxing but it's not a part of a gym and it's not based solely on cardio, we do strength training, flexibility training, kick technique and contact sparring. I think the gym class kickboxing sessions are more for a cardio workout without much of an emphasis on self defence. Depends what you want to do, I'd definitely take a look first to see what it's like.