Favorite Running Shoes?

Options
I'm doing C25K and have decided to commit to a legitimate pair of fitted running shoes. The ones I have aren't even all that bad--they're New Balance running shoes that I wear with a small arch support from my chiropractor--but my knees are telling me that I'm not doing enough to take care of them.

So, I'm wondering what experiences all you fine folks have had with getting fitted for shoes and what you recommend for someone who has knee issues? I'd love to hear your feedback!

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I use brooks with superfeet inserts. Go to a running store and get fitted. Best decision I ever made in terms of running!
  • tempysaurus
    Options
    I use K-Swiss Tubes with inserts custom made to my feet from my podiatrist. xD I really like them. =)
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    go to your local running store. have them size and fit you with the proper shoe for your size, pronation, stability, foot structure, etc.

best time to get fitted and try on is after your long run.

my coach recommended i go up in size due to toe room, etc..

Try on several pairs while there...from their recommended ones...and go with the ones that feel AMAZING.

I have the Mizuno Wave Inspire 8 because i need the stability.

happy shopping!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Brooks Glycerin. Retiring the 9's after my half in a month or so. Will be fitting for the 10's this weekend. Go get fitted at a running store not a Foot Locker. There are many different variables and you will need solid advice.
  • armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Although I am not a runner I also like Mizuno sneakers. Have found them to be comfortable .
  • perfektfox
    perfektfox Posts: 8
    Options
    Big love to adidas Response 20 from my high-arch, underpronating feet - ymWv. Go get fitted.

Knee issues can also be caused by tight hips, just in case the shoe thing doesn't take care of it. My knees always feel worst when I haven't done enough to stretch out my joints.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Aasics. I will never wear anything else. I've tried but I always go back. You can find good deals on many websites and Big5/sports authority on their lower echelon models.

Edit: Actually, I love my new pair so much I made them my profile picture. ;)
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use brooks with superfeet inserts. Go to a running store and get fitted. Best decision I ever made in terms of running!
    100% agree with that being the best decision! I had problems with my feet and ankles being stiff and sore until I was fitted with a proper shoe. I bought a pair of Brooks and never had problems, not even a blister, until the soles started to break down. It's pricey but worth the investment.
  • sundaykl
    sundaykl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Brooks PureFlow. LOVE EM!!! New shoes and my Nike DriFit socks...literally changed my life.
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I went to Run For Your Life and got fitted into Mizunos. They are FABULOUS!
  • jsaunde77
    jsaunde77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Asics Nimbus 13s, sooooo comfortable.
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just got Brooks Ghost 5, and I freakin' love them. They are comfy and cute! I would get fitted at a running store if I were you. Then you know if you are getting the right shoe for your gait. (Advice I picked up from other runners on here!)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have Mizuno Wave Creations for a while, and they did pretty well for my knee, especially on long distance runs.

A few months ago, though, I switched to Vibrams, and haven't looked back. My knee has been so much better overall in terms of running and impact, because it changed my stride. Those are NOT shoes you should just switch to all of a sudden, though, because they do change your stride, and too much too soon can definitely lead to injury.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Brooks and Asics have worked well for me.
  • theNurseNancy
    theNurseNancy Posts: 149
    Options
    Asics :]

I use the Gel phoenix line. You're best finding out what kind of runner you are/what kind of arch you have.
  • Channa79
    Channa79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Go to a fleet feet store if you are near one. They video your step and take measurements to fit you with the best shoe. If you have a wide foot, sauconys are the way to go. Brooks are awesome, but they are very narrow.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I was fitted at a running store and found the best shoes for me are the Brooks Glycerin 9. They fit my feet perfectly and provide support right where I need it. No back or knee pain when walk/running with these shoes. Best money I have ever spent on a running shoe!
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options
    I started out with Brooks and moved to the Asics kiano after having custom orthodics... I am totally devoted to them... In fact I cant wait until june to get the new colors!
    Be sure to go to a place with a good reputation that knows there shoe stuff and not selling you a spendy pair of shoes that won't work...
    Good places will watch you walk/ run and look at your current shoes for wear patterns ect...
    GOOD LUCK
    Also the Running mags have very good shoe info for pre researching...
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Go to a fleet feet store if you are near one. They video your step and take measurements to fit you with the best shoe. If you have a wide foot, sauconys are the way to go. Brooks are awesome, but they are very narrow.

The Brooks I have are for wide feet.
  • fran1515
    fran1515 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new pair last week for the same reason as C25K at ****s sporting goods the Asics Nimbus 13, I also took out the liner and put in a sport liner with twice as much cushion that I also bought at ****s., What a difference like walking on air.
    It is a good idea to get fitted to see your pronation this way you get the correct running shoes. They are worth every penny exspecially for the extra liner.
    Hope this helps you and good luck with C25K, I am on week 5 day 2.