DESK JOB........ I feel FAT!!

Options
124»

Replies

• lindaamarie
    lindaamarie Posts: 114
    Options
    ughh I totally understand. I try to stand up while I can but this last week and this week I've had to sit the whole time
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Having a desk job won't make you gain weight on it's own....if you're eating right and exercising then no, what you do for work doesn't make a difference. That is why MFP asks for your daily activity level (outside of exercise) so it can set your base calories. So since you sit at a desk all day, your base calories would be lower than someone who delivers mail because their body needs more calories to replace the ones they're burning off at work.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Most people don't have a good idea of how many calories they should be eating per day, leading them to gain weight if they reduce their activity. Someone who has a sedentary job is going to have to be more aware of what they are eating and/or burning off than someone who naturally moves more through the day based on their job/lifestyle if they want to lose or maintain their weight.
  • FlabbusterT
    FlabbusterT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been blessed with an amazing boss who let me get a stand-up work station. It has helped me tremendously. I had back surgery a few years back and sitting for 9 hours was not going to cut it either. Since I'm not slumped over a chair all day and I'm burning more calories I feel a lot better!
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I get that I feel fat feeling at my job, but when I get home I just work out and do alot to make up for the 7-8 hours of nothing
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I will be blunt here...but not to offend...

You get fat by eating more than you burn. So either get off your duff and move more, or eat better.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Why do people bother doing "simple exercises or stretches"? Like that is really going to burn many calories. If you've only got a few mins or even seconds to anything might as well go all out and do some squats or thrusters with some weight, like your chair with books or other weight on top of that.

I'm not necessarily looking to burn "many calories", but I do want to keep the blood flowing and oxygen moving so that I'm not lethargic from sitting all day and lack the desire to work out in the evening after I put my kids to bed.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Having a desk job won't make you gain weight on it's own....if you're eating right and exercising then no, what you do for work doesn't make a difference. That is why MFP asks for your daily activity level (outside of exercise) so it can set your base calories. So since you sit at a desk all day, your base calories would be lower than someone who delivers mail because their body needs more calories to replace the ones they're burning off at work.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Most people don't have a good idea of how many calories they should be eating per day, leading them to gain weight if they reduce their activity. Someone who has a sedentary job is going to have to be more aware of what they are eating and/or burning off than someone who naturally moves more through the day based on their job/lifestyle if they want to lose or maintain their weight.

You are foolish to believe that someone needs to be more aware than another. You just need the knowledge, be aware, and make the right choices. Non-medical weight gain happens through over-eating. There is nothing more to it than this.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes oh yes. I went from doing hair to sitting at a desk. It's so hard to get use to it! It feels good working out after a long day of sitting.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Why do people bother doing "simple exercises or stretches"? Like that is really going to burn many calories. If you've only got a few mins or even seconds to anything might as well go all out and do some squats or thrusters with some weight, like your chair with books or other weight on top of that.

I'm not necessarily looking to burn "many calories", but I do want to keep the blood flowing and oxygen moving so that I'm not lethargic from sitting all day and lack the desire to work out in the evening after I put my kids to bed.

Awesome, I love pm training sessions, specially circuit training.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    graveyard deskjob. hours on my butt. I get up and walk around every hour. also on weekends it's rarely busy where I work so I go outside and get my fitness break in.. 30-45 mins.
  • SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I gained a good 10lbs at my 8-5 desk job, mainly because I would SNACK like crazy!

My suggestions is buy a big medicine ball & use that instead of your chair! Good for your core & balance!

Also, keep snacky foods away from your desk! I learned the hard way! Trying to get these 10lbs off is a pain in the butt! :grumble:
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I sit in a chair at a desk everyday too. I have been sort of losing weight. I eat very well and I just started exercising 6 days a week instead of 4.
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but often I find myself all over our college campus working on various computers and lab computers. There are days when I walk as much a five miles (including a mile or so around the track at lunch.)

Fortunately I have a pretty easy going job that is more about getting results than being someplace at a certain time...
  • Luc245
    Luc245 Posts: 73
    Options
    I have a desk job. I bike to a from work for a total of 2000 calories so I am more focused on trying to eat enough during the day but I also take the stairs whenever I get the chance and take a few loops when going to the washroom. It all adds up!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    yes you can gain weight...been there. I ended up running the stairs during lunch and breaks and whenever else I could. Toned up my legs and butt in a couple months. I worked on the 11th floor and that came to be a blessing in disguise. Also met a few other girls who were doin it also.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, where I sit for 12 hour shifts. I don't think that by itself will make you gain weight. Make sure you are properly evaluating your calories consumed and burned. Diet and exercise outside of work should be sufficient to lose weight; it has been in my case.
  • Jennswtloss
    Options
    I have a desk job as well, however I asked my company to set my desk height so that it allows me to stand up. I have a stool for sitting when I need a rest from standing. I take advantage of standing up, I stretch and get in some simple leg exercises or core strength when I can.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Not having a desk job would not make you any less pear shaped. If you eat at a calorie surplus, yes you will gain. You will not gain just because you have a desk job if you still eat at a deficit.
  • fitnessmom2
    Options
    I agree, it gets frustrating, feels like no matter how healthy I eat or workout, because I sit at work for 9-12 hours a day, depending on the day, I can never lose weight and just gain it.