Steel Oats - How to use them

Options
MariaMariaM
MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
I got 2 samples of Bob's Red Mill steel oats. They are single servings. I have never had them before. In fact, the only time I use oats is in oatmeal cookies or when mix in with bread.

I am not a cereal type of person (eating cereal with milk). So how can use them? Thanks

Replies

• Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    How much did you get? I make steel cut oatmeal once a week and it makes enough for 5 days. The ratio I use is 1 cup skim milk, 3.5 cups of water and 1 cup of oatmeal in the crock pot. In my mini pot it takes about 3 to 4 hours. I mix it with fruit.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    I got just 2 bags of 3 oz each.

So you cook it in your crockpot, let it cool down and mix it any kind of fruit? What is the consistency like?
    Maybe I will google some recipes. I just pretty dumb that I don't know how to use them at all! LOL
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have it for breakfast every morning. I use 1/4 c oats and 3/4 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Then let simmer for 30 min. It gets a film on top. Just stir it in.
    I mix it with a bunch of seeds and almond milk.
    You could add a tablespoon of maple syrup to make it tastier.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I cook em like oats. Use a slightly bigger pot than usual. Not sure why, but it seems to work better. GOOD STUFF.
  • lacensuch
    lacensuch Posts: 36
    Options
    Hubby and I make it weekly and keep in it a container in the fridge. We cook per directions on package. I let it cool on the stove then store it.

I eat it with fruit, either strawberries or blackberries and a packet of splenda and a little over 1/4 cup of almond breeze the unsweetened variety.

It's filling and yummy.
  • arianamari3
    arianamari3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my oats in the morning. I prepare them with a half cup to cup of extra water. When they're cooked, I pour them on top of a scoop of vanilla protein powder and sprinkle a healthy dose of cinnamon on top! They're also yummy with a few fresh sliced strawberries or a banana if you need a little extra boost. This is the only breakfast I'll eat!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Be careful with those Steel Cut Oats, their the breakfast of superhero's. :wink:

Here is the final authority on how to properly cook said oats...

http://www.goldenspurtle.com/

Cheers
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will test it out over the weekend.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My trainer said to put a scope of protein powder in the oats after they are cooked and a little bit of milk and you have a super breakfast. I have my oats too I just haven't cooked them yet!