Exercise Headaches

Options
Does anyone else get a bad headache from exercise? When I increase the level of my workout, I end up with a headache that can ruin my day. The pain continues with each workout until my body adjusts to the new level of exhertion (sp?). I've never been a caffeine drinker, but I've discoverd the caffeine in Excedrin helps with the pain.
I've inquired with several doctors over many years and they all look at me like I'm strange for asking such a thing.
It doesn't seem to be a hydration issue.So, all the troubleshooting over the years hasn't solved the problem.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I get a bad one after a really hard effort. Sleep is the only thing that seems to work for me.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've tried many of these, but... what are you doing for preparation and recovery?

I'll get WICKED headaches if I increase intensity and don't warm up slowly and cool down properly (which means doing the exercise at a lower intensity at the end for a few minutes), and if it's cardio I also really need to stretch afterward.

Also, are you having a cardio and protein (or fat and protein if you're on a low-no carb lifestyle) snack, and have you tried something with some electrolytes (a few ounces of Gatorade or similar) to make sure the replenishment is working?

How long are your workouts?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Mine are mostly caused by aggravating an issue in my shoulder. (something genetic) But those I can feel starting from a very specific point and know what I've done/what's coming.

But other things that I have rooted out and fixed that have stopped headaches are:
    1. Bad form - holding my body wrong or too tightly when starting a new workout gave me killer headaches until I realized what I was doing.
    2. Ill fitting sportsbra - had one that I'd end up with a headache every time I wore it. Ditched it for a new one in an updated size for that style and stopped having the issue.
    3. Not enough to eat - under hydration tends to give me side stitches, but not having enough food/fuel in me makes me queasy and headachy when I workout.
  • Cschwarze45
    Cschwarze45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My exercise has never been able to be too intense, mostly because the headaches will ruin my day if I persist.
    But, I jog at the track. Usually walk a half lap before I get started and finish with walking a last lap. I've managed to work up to 5 miles, but I can feel my head start to throb when I add to the distance, even before i've finished.
    It may be tension, but I can't seem to stretch enough to feel relief if it is.
    It gets old, and I'm jealous of people who can run races and still function for the rest of the day.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Check your blood pressure. Exercise will increase blood pressure while you are doing it and it will take time to come back to normal. Over time, exercise will cause decreases in resting blood pressure, but will still have elevating effects on exercising blood pressure it just won't be as elevated after getting use to a workout program as it was when you first started doing the program because the same elevation of 20 mm Hg will be lower because it is from a lower starting point. But excessively elevated blood pressure can cause severe headaches. Anyway, if it is a blood pressure issue, you may need to be on medication to lower your blood pressure so that the exercise won't raise it to dangerous levels.
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I get them regularly when I do long runs especially in the heat and think it is due to dehydration. No so much of a problem in the gym or when I walk.
  • honeygirl0715
    Options
    The first thing I'd do if I were you is get your blood pressure checked. That's what was leading to my headaches. Everyone's different but you should at least rule it out.
  • slimsteelerfan
    slimsteelerfan Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Two things that trigger exercise headaches! Blood Pressure and Dehydration! Tryin drinking 2 to 3 liters of water the day before an intense workout. Also, are you eating enough?
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Mine was blood pressure, my physician and I monitered it and I was able to lower it without medication once I started loosing weight.. 20 lbs. down now and no more excercise headaches. Once I realized I had the bp problem I could easily recognize the headache and tell the difference between it and other types headaches (allergies, sinusus, stress, etc.)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Today I actually had a headache at the gym for the first time ever today. But I blame work
  • Cschwarze45
    Cschwarze45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate the input. I've had this problem since I was a teen and first started running. My blood pressure has always been quite low, but may be different when exercising. I'll look into it. I'm just paraniod about medication.....and don't want to have to go that route. As for dehydration, I tend to have a problem of drinking too much since I live in a really dry climate.