Options

Replies

• SaintOnEarth
    SaintOnEarth Posts: 160
    Options
    vibram five fingers :)
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I currently use Nike's Track Star. I'm planning on getting new ones soon though so BUMP!
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    go to your local running store. have them size and fit you with the proper shoe for your size, pronation, stability, foot structure, etc.

best time to get fitted and try on is after your long run.

my coach recommended i go up in size due to toe room, etc..

Try on several pairs while there...from their recommended ones...and go with the ones that feel AMAZING.

I have the Mizuno Wave Inspire 8 because i need the stability.

happy shopping!

I just bought the these Mizunos too! I need the high arch support for overpronation but man they feel like they are squeezing my feet and I already went 1/2 size up! Back to the running store for me. How do you like yours?
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    New Balance Minimus and Merrell Pure Glove! Love minimalist shoes.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Brooks, hands down. I have wide feet and Brooks have a wider toe box than a lot of shoes.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
  • duetwithjosh
    duetwithjosh Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm a die-hard Vibram believer! Won't run in anything else. (...except nothing at all. :) )
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Merrell Pace Gloves. They are SUPER comfortable.
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Right now I have Saucony Triumph 9s, which have a slightly lower rise than standard running shoes. It was a close decision between those and Brooks Glycerin 9 (and I have slightly wide feet and they were good). If anything, the Saucony is a touch wide on my left foot. Get fitted for sure!
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Love my New Balance running shoes!
  • motherof3brats
    motherof3brats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also just bought the Brooks Ghost 5 and love them. I would go to a running store and be fitted just like everyone is saying. I didnt when I first started running and omg my feet were killing me. Good luck!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Asics.... I think the 1170's... I would have to see the box. I tried on a few from the top of the line to the low end and I got something that was in the middle.

I went for lots of structure with some cushion. I have flat feet so that's what I needed. I have been upping my walking/jogging lately so I had to do something or my feet were going to give out.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks for sure!!
  • ash1220
    ash1220 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my pair of Brooks Ghost 4. They feel great on my feet! Highly recommended!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I got fitted at the local running store. I liked Saucony Triumph 9 and Nike Pegasus. I bought Suaconys because of the high cushion. Love the feel of these. I have to do a proper run in them still but from what I can tell by the quick spin around the block they are wonderful! I had to size up 2 sizes for proper toe room!!
  • ninie1
    ninie1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been running for several years, the best thing I ever did was go to a professional running store and be fitted, run on a treadmill to see how your foot strike is. I chose Mizuno 5 pairs later and several 5k's and a 1/2 marathon. Once you get started you'll fall in love with it.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I went for a fitting at a running store and came home with Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 in half size bigger than my old runinng shoes. They're also a wide width. I don't wear a wide in any of my other shoes.

But since I got these in January, running has become easier. Totally worth the $110 my husband spent on them (they were my delayed Christmas gift).

I will never...repeat NEVER...buy "running shoes" from a department store again. They're just not the same.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Running stores (the ones I've dealt with, at least) will allow you to return them even after you have worn them outside. Other stores (chains) may not...

Over the years, I've had luck with Mizunos and Asics, but have most recently fallen in love with Nike Free Run 2. They are light weight but have the support and stability I need without the feeling of cinder blocks on my feet. No shin splints either. Good luck!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I got fitted at the local running store. I liked Saucony Triumph 9 and Nike Pegasus. I bought Suaconys because of the high cushion. Love the feel of these. I have to do a proper run in them still but from what I can tell by the quick spin around the block they are wonderful! I had to size up 2 sizes for proper toe room!!

The Triumphs have gone through some major changes through the years and are still a fantastic Neutral to neutral plus ride. I like them a lot.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I wore Brooks Adrenaline series for 3 years. Loved them. I started cross-training in Merrell PaceGloves, a minimalist shoe, and after a few months the pronation that landed me in the Brooks Adrenaline was no longer an issue and the additional support in the Brooks became uncomfortable.

I switched to Saucony Kinvara 2's in January and LOVE them for short or medium distance runs. Anything over 8 miles and there isn't enough support for me.

I just bought a pair of Brooks Launch, which are a lighter weight long-distance shoe. I've only taken them for a short spin, I will find out this weekend how well they will work for me over distance.

I will second what someone else said about SuperFeet inserts. They can offer quite a bit of additional cushion and may help mitigate knee pain. I have occassional lower back pain when I run and throw in SuperFeet Berry for a few runs when the discomfort kicks in. Resolves the discomfort every time.