Soooo I stopped drinking and ....

Options
Gionni
Gionni Posts: 77 Member
.. I'm am VERY grumpy . Here's my story. Over the last 3 weeks I went on HUGE alcohol binge , drinking between 700-1000 worth of booze a day. At the same time, I also worked out like CRAZY so I don't think I netted anything other than a ton of bloat. I think I was subconsciencely testing my body to see how resillant my old body is .

Last week I identified the issue and started to fix it. Now I haven't drank for like 3 days and I kinda remember why I drink. The fun/exciting personality that I HAD.. was nothing more than a side effect of alcohol.

Here is my question .. Are there any former drinkers that went though a bout of depression when they stopped ? While I love booze...I love my body more ... At least for now !

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    It's a withdrawal symptom. It will pass. Hang in there!
  • Calliesmom1
    Calliesmom1 Posts: 78
    Options
    i miss drinking...8 days sober. :( but im gonna spend the weekend pretty thrashed. Moderation.

**Also i heard voka has no cals. So im just gonna mix it with canberry juice. At first two and then drink it straight so i will probably not have that much to put into my dairy.
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I found myself drinking alot, not sure how much as I was not really keeping track.
    But one day I decided to quit, I still drink on the rare social occasion, but I found once I stopped drinking and found other things to do (like workout) I like who I am alot more and I don't need the alcohol because I AM a fun person.
    Just stick it out... you can do it!!!!!!!!
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    I used to be a full on raging functional alcoholic. It.absolutely.sucked.to.stop. Not drinking anymore is an amazing accomplishment for anyone. Horray for you for at least identifying the problem! What is it about alcohol that makes you feel like a different person? Reflect on that. Pull out that little social butterfly from within yourself...from whatever dark corner it's hiding in. My best advice on the physical aspect is lots and lots and lots and lots (did I mention lots?) of water.
    Good luck!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i miss drinking...8 days sober. :( but im gonna spend the weekend pretty thrashed. Moderation.

**Also i heard voka has no cals. So im just gonna mix it with canberry juice. At first two and then drink it straight so i will probably not have that much to put into my dairy.

Vodka has about 100 calories per shot. It's energy, and energy isn't free. It is, however, carb free, or at least very low in carbs.
  • katieacor
    katieacor Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes! I agree. Change for the best is always going to come with some kind of affliction! Keep up the good work, your body, mind, and spirit will thank you for it in the long run!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Good job being 8 days, but vodka definitely has calories... the least calorie drink i can buy in a bar is an 8 oz rum and diet coke which is about 70 calories. You'll never find 0 calorie alcohol.
  • Gionni
    Options
    I really miss booze and I am really nasty when I'm sober! I wish I was stronger
  • katieacor
    katieacor Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wish I was stronger

I think it was pretty strong of you to write this post! (You don't seem awfully grumpy either :) Keep strong! ) I'll be praying for you Sir Gionni!
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love tequila! I try not to but if I do its one or two shots on the weekend. Especially with yummy food like tortilla soup. And I don't even know why I drink them because I dont even get a buzz out of one or two anyways but I still like to..

Idk, but I've actually heard (also on Dr. Oz) that alchohol actually helps you lose weight. But then I also heard a lot of other ppl say it makes you gain weight. It's so confusing. LOL
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have stopped drinking and at first I was a little on the grumpy side, but it will soon go away and you'll be feeling better than ever. Stay strong and stick with it. 3 days is a big accomplishment.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've been a heavy drinker for a long time. As of today, I've been sober for 11 days. I've been logging foods on MFP for 35 days. My drinking was detrimental to my weight loss progress, so I quit. It's hard to stay consistent when you're consuming lots of alcohol calories plus making bad food decisions after drinking, then eating less or not working out the next day. I'm not quitting forever, but I'm definitely toning it down. In other words, I know how you feel.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    700 - 1000 isn't that much. Just tone it down a little.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I need to stop, been having massive benders every weekend and getting into trouble. Since I don't know the meaning of moderation I need to go cold turkey but worry life will be boring without drinks.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

This is just temporary, honestly, it is withdrawals...... So sorry you are going through this, its tough, but I'm going to tell you something that you need to start telling yourself every time you look in the mirror. You are an awesome strong person. The person you think you are while drinking, is actually just an illusion. The real you loves life and is fun, once the liquor fog clears, you will start to see that person too. You are worth every effort you want to put into this.
  • kattyb86
    kattyb86 Posts: 4
    Options
    I need to stop, been having massive benders every weekend and getting into trouble. Since I don't know the meaning of moderation I need to go cold turkey but worry life will be boring without drinks.

Yep this is totally me! I don't drink during the week and eat healthy and excercise but come weekend.... I booze so hard and eat crap :|
    Im making myself have a 2 week break from drinking. I know it will be torture and boring but hopefully after the 2 weeks I can drink a bit more calmly when Im out.
  • Zerbiak
    Zerbiak Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome to know, I'm not alone If there is one part I can attribute to medicore success it's the Drinking. And as was said, it's not the drinking but the food you have after or the lack of diet focus the next day and lack of Exercise. One night of drinking can kill two-three days of good required focus.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options

This is just temporary, honestly, it is withdrawals...... So sorry you are going through this, its tough, but I'm going to tell you something that you need to start telling yourself every time you look in the mirror. You are an awesome strong person. The person you think you are while drinking, is actually just an illusion. The real you loves life and is fun, once the liquor fog clears, you will start to see that person too. You are worth every effort you want to put into this.

that's great advice
  • Gionni
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Callie is one lucky girl.

Moderation would be social drinking every once in a while, not binge drinking on the weekends.