Water

Options
Can a person drink too much water? Will it affect the numbers we see on the scale and make us heavier? Theres so many conflicting opinions on this subject out there.

Replies

• skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water but you have to drink a lot to get there. Depending on who you listen to as your expert, you either need 8-10 glasses (8 ozs each) each day, or you need 1 oz for every 2 lbs you weigh. So, if you weigh 150 lbs, you would need 75 ozs of water.
  • ladylonglegs21
    ladylonglegs21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    make sure you are getting your electrolytes in if you are drinking excess water. you need the sodium/potassium to balance the water or you will have health issues -- but this is only if you are an athlete and REALLY drinking water after sweating a lot. how much are we talking?
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes you can drink too much water which can cause the sodium level in your blood be too low which can cause seizures and death. However, this is fairly rare.
    If you pee out what you take i, it won't affect the scale.
    Many people here believe in drinking large amounts of water. I think it may help with suppressing the appetite but other than that it has nothing that makes you burn or flush out fat.
    If your urine is clear and light yellow you're drinking enough. Anything that contains water (milk, juice, tea, coffee etc) can be included in your intake.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Our bodies naturally deviate in weight by a few pound each day anyway, that's why it's suggested you weight yourself first thing in the morning.
    It is possible to drink too much water, but, like skcornett said, it would have to be A LOT. There was actually a big uprise around here a few years ago. A local radio station did a contest to see who could drink the most water within a certain period of time and the winner would get a prize. Someone literally drank themselves to death. The station got sued. But that was multiple gallons within like an hour, I think.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I think it almost impossible to drink to much water. I drink at least 2 gallons a day. I never have problems. Your body may retain water a little but if you drink enough you wont.