im really sore help!!

Options
i have started walking a few days ago with my kids. i have 3 kids 7, 2,11 month that i put in a double stroller and push. my 7yr will get out and walk from time to time. most of the roads i walk are hills. we average about 2.5miles in a hour and half time frame. but after 3 days of walking my hips, and legs are killing me. ive tried stretching the sorness out but no luck. can anyone give me tips on how to get over this... i dont want to miss a day of walking cause im afraid it will kill my motivation.

Replies

• salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are tearing and will rebuild stronger if you take a day off. Maybe go for a light walk on a level (not hill) area. :) I'm doing the 30 day shred and my thighs killed me so I took 2 days off. Tomorrow, I'll get back on the bandwagon and use my stronger muscles to propel me through the regimen :) So hope that helps!
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this but someone on here said chocolate milk helps sore muscles. I also heard that drinking lots of water helps too.
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    Try stretching a little before the walk.. Sometimes that gets the blood flowing to the legs before the burn. Its awesome to look forward to the walk so getting out there is the hardest part. Once you get going its all easy from there.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Google "DOMS". It will get better in a few days. I would do a little bit of walking to relieve some stiffness, but don't go as hard or fast or far as usual. Just do enough to warm up, basically.
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling - commiserations. I use heat bags on specific areas and I lie on an electric blanket. I also take over the counter pain killers and rub liniment into sore areas.
    Doing a warm up before you set out, might help. I usually find that after ten minutes of walking or light exercise most of the aches and pains have abated and tend to stay at an acceptable level until I go to bed. I assume that as the weight is lost the situation will get easier.

Good luck to you!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a day off.
    Make sure you warm up before you walk, drink plenty of water, and take a nice hot shower!
  • maddbutcher
    Options
    Your muscles have torn , tendons have stretched , now u understand no pain no gain . There are foods such as bananas , cherry juice that can help with recovery , and they sell products like glutamine in stores such as GNC that really help replinsh what you have lost during a workout .
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, take a couple of tylenol (or whatever your preferred painkiller is) and invest in a good pair of shoes.

I have been pushing myself lately and have been battling with extreme soreness. It goes with the territory I am afraid but thankfully that is what tylenol is for!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of water works for me. bananas do too. and i have read on here chocolate milk, but i am not sure if that needs to be part of a routine, of if you can just drink it once in a while to have it take the edge off. plus, go for a light walk next time. you need to get the lactic acid moving and complete rest will just make it stay where it is. so move a little just to get it flowing.

feel better.
  • him1025
    him1025 Posts: 44
    Options
    thanks everyone im upset walking is where i burn most of my calories :( it looks like break is needed and a different streching regimend
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What part of your legs?
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    90 minutes of pushing a double stroller on hills? I'd be sore too! You're pulling a lot of stress on your hips, quads, glutes, and hamstrings (to much, to soon). Do take a day off, soaking in Epson salts may help (magnesium crystals). Walmart, Target, and pharmacy stores have it cheap and what ever pain reliever you normally use. Next day cut waaaay back 30-40 minutes, and increase GRADUALLY over weeks, your body will thank you. Do schedule at least one rest day per week.
  • him1025
    him1025 Posts: 44
    Options
    it my whole leg. from hips down to my calf i found some new stretches that im going to try. today if i walk it will only be20-30 mins.