Losing weight everywhere, except my stomach =/

Hi! I've been a member of myfitnesspal for the last 2 weeks and it's been a really helpful way for me to count my calories! But I've been experiencing a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I'm 5'6'' and I had worked down 121 lbs (a 4 lb loss for me) I've been on a 1200 calorie diet and doing cardiovascular workouts for 30 minutes about 3 times a week. After being on this plan consistently for the past 3 weeks I was happy with my 4lb loss. However, yesterday I woke up, and I don't know how to explain it, but my stomach just felt heavy, like I had gained some weight back. When I got on the scale it said i was 124! How could this have happened? I haven't gone over my calorie intake any day! And why is it so difficult to lose weight in my stomach? Any advice someone has to offer would be greatttllly appreciated! thanks!

Replies

• KathyChampi
    KathyChampi Posts: 66 Member
    It could be your sodium intake. The same thing happened to me. I gained two pounds in one day. I drank water all day and the next morning the two lb was off. It was just water weight. Try drinking more water.
  • csearcher34
    csearcher34 Posts: 78
    Oh! Thank-you so much, I never thought of that! I spent all day feeling like my efforts so far were a total waste, I feel alot better now knowing that they arent. =)
  • PapaDawgDan
    PapaDawgDan Posts: 6 Member
    Lots of things can contribute to this, Water retention, bloating, your body my think it is starving and trying to store energy (fat) to maintain. 1200 calories is pretty low, you may need to revisit your weight loss goal. Personally I only weigh myself once a week and stay very religious to my work out routine. I have worked hard to loose the weight I have lost and am getting close to my goal. I know even when I reach my goal my stomach will still have a pooch and will require lots of excersise and a keeping a close eye on my calories. The way I look at it is this, I have the rest of my life to work on the transformation :) I wish you luck and remember it is a life style change and over time you will see vast improvements.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    I have never had a flat stomach even when I was super skinny and did crunches every day.

I hear the stomach is the LAST thing you lose. Also, I hear we store stress in our tummies. I am sure the stress is my problem. Maybe yours as well?

As far as weight gain, probably water or women's issues and it will come right back off later on or tomorrow.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    For your height you really shouldn't be losing much more weight. Work on lifting heavy to build muscle mass and decreasing fat percentage. You can drastically change your appearance without changing your weight. Also please eat WAYYYY more than 1200 calories a day, and eat your exercise calories. That will help eliminate your belly.

oh and the weight gain was most likely water weight.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Hi! I've been a member of myfitnesspal for the last 2 weeks and it's been a really helpful way for me to count my calories! But I've been experiencing a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I'm 5'6'' and I had worked down 121 lbs (a 4 lb loss for me) I've been on a 1200 calorie diet and doing cardiovascular workouts for 30 minutes about 3 times a week. After being on this plan consistently for the past 3 weeks I was happy with my 4lb loss. However, yesterday I woke up, and I don't know how to explain it, but my stomach just felt heavy, like I had gained some weight back. When I got on the scale it said i was 124! How could this have happened? I haven't gone over my calorie intake any day! And why is it so difficult to lose weight in my stomach? Any advice someone has to offer would be greatttllly appreciated! thanks!

lipo?
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    yeaup same issue i had the other day.. its prob just water weight.. so just watch ur salt/sugar intake and yea drink more more more water than u are now. and it will go away in a few days..
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Seeing as you're already pretty close to a healthy weight for your body, the scale is going to be a lot less reliable for you. You could be putting on muscle, making the scale go up. It's also normal for weight to fluctuate by about five pounds due to food and water in your system.

Honestly, if you want to look better, you're better off lifting and trying to put on some lean body mass. That means you'll actually have to eat close to maintenance, so you body can rebuild the muscle. Ditch the scale and get a measuring tape. For your healthy weight, it'll be a much better indicator of progress.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Wait, 5'6" and 120 pounds? That's dangerously close to medically underweight. Of course you aren't getting the results you want, starving yourself when you're already at a low weight always backfires.

Strength training, heavy weights, low reps. Eat more food. Simple, really.
  • tori_grr
    tori_grr Posts: 29 Member
    You sound pretty skinny ! But to each there own right.. most of your stomach problem is going to be what you are eating even if you are under your calories , so make sure to eat healthy raw foods and lean meats :) everybody has a 6 pack you just have to lose the fat that sits on top. On another note if you drastically cut your calories from what you normally eat or if its to little your body goes into starvation mode and wants to hold onto the fats . From your height and weight I'm guessing your tummy is pretty skinny
  • csearcher34
    csearcher34 Posts: 78
    Thank-you everyone for all the helpful suggestions! Well I think I might start doing some strength training, and try to eat some more healthy whole foods. Also, I definitely don't want my body to think that it's in starving mode! Is the only way to counteract this by eating more calories? See, I've done cross country for the past 5 years of my life, so i guess i was used to being on the really thin side. I didn't do it this last year though, and gained 10 extra lbs, from 115 to 125, hence why I was trying to lose weight. But if it's not healthy to lose anymore, I guess I'm okay with where i'm at. My main concern is to just be the healthiest I can be =)