tuna ???

Options
hi, somebody said to me last night too much tuna is bad for you????
Is this possible????
I practically have a tin of tuna a day :happy:

Replies

• talorK
    talorK Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm the same, I love tuna! Its so easy! I think if it it is in oil it can be bad(isH) best to get it in water/brine. I've never heard its bad before!
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I havn't heard that either, but I'd be keen to hear from a nutritionist who knows.

The pedant in me wants to say, "Too much" of anything is bad for you, that's what "too much" is, but I guess the real question is how much tuna is too much? And is it a quantity that could be sensibly consumed in a day?
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I don't think it's the actual tuna that is bad for you, but some studies show that it can have high levels of mercury - like another big fish like swordfish, marlin etc.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    And some of the canned stuff has a bunch of sodium so watch that. Other than that, I'd say no. I also eat it frequently and find it stays with me a long time.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The pedant in me wants to say, "Too much" of anything is bad for you, that's what "too much" is, but I guess the real question is how much tuna is too much? And is it a quantity that could be sensibly consumed in a day?
    I <3 this.

But seriously: with my extensive medical background of reading things on the internet, I think there is some level of tuna consumption that would be harmful, but 1 can a day is probably ok.
  • amandamotley
    Options
    I try to keep it to a couple of times a month because the mercury is a bit scary to me. I think mostly it's a concern for pregnant or nursing women. And I know the albacore tuna has higher levels of mercury.

I try to take everything with a grain of salt (else I'd be a total alarmist), but this is one I definitely keep in mind. Here's an article. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/january/food/mercury-in-tuna/overview/index.htm
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There you go:

http://howmuchfish.com/
    ;-)
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Theoretically it is not. It is good instead.

But it is fish and there is the all babbling about mercury contamination... But I am not well prepared about, I eat a couple of can/week :)
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    I've heard that but I think youhave to eat a whole lot of it to eat too much. I wouldn't worry about it if its only 1 can a day.
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There you go:

http://howmuchfish.com/
    ;-)

thanks for sharing!
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I limit my family to once or twice a week because of the high level of mercury, and too much mercury can cause a ton of problems.... you can try canned salmon as an alternative (i think it's better anyways)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    The only reason tuna is bad for you is because of the build up of mercury. The older a fish gets, the more mercury builds up in their body. Mercury doesn't dissipate over time, so it just keeps building and building (just like most heavy metal toxins). Albacore is thought to have the highest mercury content and chunk light the least, according to some research I did a few years back. Sorry, I didn't save the sources of my information.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I've always tried to limit it a bit because I have heard people talk about the mercury danger. The FDA only has mercury warnings for children and pregnant women though:

"Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
    - Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    - Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week."

From this link:

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    From what I've heard too much seafood can be bad because of mercury. But I say eff dat! I love sea food!
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    The guidelines are really only for pregnant and breastfeeding women and young children because mercury can affect brain growth
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    I love tuna,one of my favorite foods and I eat it at least twice a week.My favorite is Tuna Creations lemon flavored.I eat it right out of the pouch.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    No way! I eat a massive tin every day ;) Great protein source and Omega 3 =]
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great protein source and Omega 3 =]

Exactly this!