I can't breathe when I run :(

It sucks!

I'm on a 12 week walk to jog program so it's great for beginners.
The thing is even at my peak of physical fitness I've never been able to run!
I can do the stepper, the eliptical, weights, or practically any other exercise for crazy amounts of time but even after a minute or so of running I start struggling to breathe.

It's been very frustrating but I'm determined to finish my 12 week program.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a reason for it? My friend who is a personal trainer told me she has never been able to run either but she's not sure why.

Replies

• squiggles409
    squiggles409 Posts: 50 Member
    I used to hate running for this same reason, however, i find that if i chew (or just kind of roll it around in my mouth from time to time) some gum while running it keeps my throat lubricated, thereby making it easier to breathe. I also find that if i concentrate on a breathing pattern (two in through the nose (two steps) one long out of the mouth) while i run i'm able to last longer. maybe try those. i was never able to run really, but i'm in week 5 of a 10 week plan and i'm feeling GREAT!! Good luck!
  • Abbdul
    Abbdul Posts: 103 Member
    may be you need to jog/run before your workout
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    I have a hard time getting enough air when I run, too. It's VERY frustrating. You are not alone!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    I also find that if i concentrate on a breathing pattern (two in through the nose (two steps) one long out of the mouth) while i run i'm able to last longer. maybe try those.

Just out of curiosity, why are you limiting your oxygen intake through your nose? I breathe every way I can when I run. But I generally run long distances.
  • squiggles409
    squiggles409 Posts: 50 Member
    I also find that if i concentrate on a breathing pattern (two in through the nose (two steps) one long out of the mouth) while i run i'm able to last longer. maybe try those.

Just out of curiosity, why are you limiting your oxygen intake through your nose? I breathe every way I can when I run. But I generally run long distances.

I try to control my breathing, I'm really just starting, and find that this method works best for me. it seems to keep me from hyperventilating. been doing it for years (lol when i used to be an athelete)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I have the problem, but I have a congenital heart condition that is really the cause (not likely for most others, but it is frustrating)

I'd suggest seeing your GP and get an EKG and lung capacity test done. Asthma can be exercise-related as well, and may respond to treatment.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    I have this problem too. Try timing your breathing with your steps. My husband also suggested to me to breath through my nose as much as possible because it slows your breathing.. sometimes if you feel like you can't breath... you will try harder to breath.. and it just makes things worse
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    I have this problem too, but I was able to run just fine a few months ago. Trying to figure it out.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Is the running treadmill or ground? Are you panicking? I panic sometimes. Can you try a sport? Running the bases helps me to judge my progress. I don't like running for the sake of well...running.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    exactly HOW are you breathing.
    I suggest to actually pay attention to your breathing. Ask yourself the following
    Are you breathing in and out through your mouth?
    or are you breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth?
    Are you running to your steps? (in on your left foot, and then 3 steps later out with your right).
    Are your shoulders going up and down when you breathe?
    Are you breathing from your diaphragm.
  • Yasmineh_
    Yasmineh_ Posts: 43
    Maybe you're going too fast? I used to have this problem as well , but I had very low fitness and tried running fast. When I tried running again, I jogged instead of running and also paid attention to how I'm breathing. Pace yourself and breathe in and out slowly (breathing out of your mouth and in from your nose) while jogging. If you breathe too fast, you will get exhausted and run out of breath. It was hard to do at first, but I got over the need to breathe fast and once you set a pace, you'll be fine.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Start by slowing down - this was the key for me. As soon as I ran fast I got out of breath and couldn't keep going.
    Once I decided that it was OK to run slowly and built up my time gradually, I did OK.
    I think that you need to build endurance first, then add speed later.
    I also find that it helps to count my breaths if I'm getting out of breath - I usually count 2 breaths in and 2 or 3 out in time with my steps.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    I have the problem, but I have a congenital heart condition that is really the cause (not likely for most others, but it is frustrating)

I'd suggest seeing your GP and get an EKG and lung capacity test done. Asthma can be exercise-related as well, and may respond to treatment.

I agree, especially re. the asthma which can be exercise or stress induced.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Try slowing down. Endurance first, speed later. Running is a little different than other exercises - higher impact - so your body will react differently. Slow your pace and see if that helps. Good luck!
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    hey there. we all have to start at some point. i couldnt breathe either when i first started to run. your breathing technique will come with time. but you gotta keep plugging away at it. start by taking deep breaths, and not shallow. do i slow count to 4 in, then the same slow count to 4 out. that is for every 4 steps you take you should try to breathe in then out on the next 4 steps. it works for me. i have run 2 vt city marathons doing just that!!
  • amzelrulz
    amzelrulz Posts: 27
    I was never able to breathe properly when i ran either but a freind of mine told me a trick, breathe like you're in labour. this sounds stupid but it really helped, I just get in a rhythm with my breathing and step and away i go.
    also another good trick is to listen you music while running, makes you concerntrate on something else.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    First up, get checked out to make sure you haven't got exercise-induced asthma. Do you wheeze or cough after a workout? Getting an inhaler changed my running life, and after using it for a while I got fit enough to barely need it except when I'm pushing myself hard.

Next, go slower. My breathing is the first to go, way before my legs! I breath in and out for three steps each (left, right, left) and if I need to breathe faster than that I can't keep it up.

Here are my beginners' running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Check out point one:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    It sucks!

I'm on a 12 week walk to jog program so it's great for beginners.
    The thing is even at my peak of physical fitness I've never been able to run!
    I can do the stepper, the eliptical, weights, or practically any other exercise for crazy amounts of time but even after a minute or so of running I start struggling to breathe.

It's been very frustrating but I'm determined to finish my 12 week program.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a reason for it? My friend who is a personal trainer told me she has never been able to run either but she's not sure why.

Slow down and then slow down some more. I have my i-pod going whilst running, it takes my attention off my breathing and stops me hearing the sound of me chugging along like a bloody steam-train - seriously, I know I must sometimes sound horrendous when I am running along and somebody is walking up ahead, they often glance around when I am 10 feet back - not because of my stomping along, but because I sound like a panting perv :laugh:

The other thing you could do, when you run , just run for one minute and then walk for a minute, run for a minute walk for a minute, gradaully shorten the walking time by a few seconds each time and eventually, you should be ok.
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    I would go to your doc and see if you have exercise induced asthma... You might also be suffering from a chest cold... If it feel like tightness and you are gasping for breath or there is a heaviness on your chest it's very likely. You might benefit from an inhaler when you work out, but that's for you and your doc to decide... You can also request a pulmonary function test which will measure your rate of breathing under stress! It's no biggy tons of people have exercise induced asthma ... For now I would suggest getting some evening primrose oil and borage oil these are anti inflammatory and can aid in respiratory health. Eucalyptus oil inhaled also open respiratory pathways. If you have a wet sauna at your gym using that can also help a great deal. Also keep going with your cardio your lungs can be worked like a muscle and build strength to fight off these attacks over time but you should not push it without talking to your doc if you do have asthma it can become serious and you may need a rescue inhaler...
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    I feel your pain! I'm an asthmatic, so I can relate. I was told by an Uncle, who is a really good runner (and you can find articles on this) to breathe with your diaphragm. Push out your stomach when you breathe in and really concentrate on concaving it when you breathe out. This has helped me. I have to breathe in with my mouth, or I start to almost hyperventilate, then I end up taking in too much air and get that awful side stitch. Slowing your pace will help and telling yourself to calm your breathing will help too. I still need to stop to take in a deep breath on hills once in a while, but I have come so far. Last year at this time, I could only run 30 sec at a time and I just completed my first 5K this past Sunday! You can do it... read up on it to help and take your time.