Adding food to MFP question?

Options
I am adding a couple of items to the site and wondered:

Is potassium the same as salt? the packet I have has salt but no mention of potassium, whereas the site has potassium.
also
How does the cholesterol work - I haven't seen cholesterol mentioned on UK food products so - does the site automatically work it out from the other info input or do I have to work it out, if so how do I do it?

Hope I haven't confused you all with my rambling questions.

Thank you all :-).

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    No potassium is not salt (that is sodium). Potassium is an electrolyte which is why many athletes eat bananas (full of potassium) during athletic activities.

Check this link: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/potassium-and-your-heart

I haven't used the cholesterol tool here so I'm not certain how that works.
  • Linda490
    Linda490 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I spent so much time concentrating on calories that my cholesterol was going sky high so this is the main part I need.
    I will try the link you sent me - thank you :-)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I spent so much time concentrating on calories that my cholesterol was going sky high so this is the main part I need.
    I will try the link you sent me - thank you :-)
    Dietary cholesterol does not affect blood cholesterol...
  • Linda490
    Options
    Oh right - I didn't know that - I told my GP I was watching what I eat and she didn't query it ! :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You can only add what's on the packet - if it doesnt mention potassium (not standard in Aust) then leave it blank.
    It's helpful to fill in as much info as you have but that is all you can do.
    Just a word of advice - please double check the database before you enter new products, there are soooooo many duplicates already!
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have been checking the database, finding my food,same serving size, but when I plug it in many times it is more than what I am looking at in my hand (on the package). I chalk it up to margin of error.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have been checking the database, finding my food,same serving size, but when I plug it in many times it is more than what I am looking at in my hand (on the package). I chalk it up to margin of error.

Or the company has changed their recipe or their serving size or it's a regional variation from another country..... a lot of it is a guessing game! I work on the theory that everything we log is an estimate and that some entries will be over, others will be under and they should balance each other out!
  • Linda490
    Options
    I did notice all the duplicates - so I am being careful :-)
  • Linda490
    Options
    If this is coorect then why did my practice nurse tell me to cut down on cream and the like - and why do they give you a fact sheet of foods to avoid?

Regards :-)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If this is coorect then why did my practice nurse tell me to cut down on cream and the like - and why do they give you a fact sheet of foods to avoid?

That has been the traditional approach to lowering cholesterol, that and drugs.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/04/30/prominent-cardiologist-reveals-some-of-the-the-flaws-in-conventional-cholesterol-wisdom/ is worth a read, and there's a video.

My total cholesterol is 5.05, I get more than half my calories from oils and fats but eat little carbohydrate.
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Or the company has changed their recipe or their serving size or it's a regional variation from another country..... a lot of it is a guessing game! I work on the theory that everything we log is an estimate and that some entries will be over, others will be under and they should balance each other out!

Agreed. I actually add 200 cals in snacks every day, just to be safe. :bigsmile: