hypothyroid suffers

Options

Replies

• calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I also am hypothyroid, but since birth. I was actually born without a thyroid. I have never had a big problem with my weight unless something is wonky with my levels. Which usually is somewhat self inflicted if i am not being consistent in taking my medication. At this point I am on 100 mcg of synthroid and seem to be doing well on it. I have put on a couple lbs i need to lose so hopefully my thyroid problems are not going to stand in my way of losing it.
  • kympow
    kympow Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Like other I am a low carbs type of girl. I had a thyroidectomy as I had thyroid cancer... So I have nada in there... Make sure your taking your synthroid an hour before you eat or drink..
  • VeLAbby
    VeLAbby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks !! I will check it out..:flowerforyou:
  • Dream77
    Dream77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for all this. I've had hypothyroid for almost a year now after having radioiodine treatment, since then I've not been able to loose any weight and what I had previously lost went straight back on. After reading all your posts I'm going to give low carbs ago. Thanks all : ) X
  • crazycarrol
    crazycarrol Posts: 12
    Options
    So it seems that a low carb diet is the way to go. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago was on synthyroid never had any problems with anything until after I had my son 4 years ago. I weighed 134 before I had him ballooned up to 188 the day of delivery. I am now at 147 but struggling with almost every symptom of hypo. Tired, weight gain, losing hair, etc etc. My family doctor referred me to an endo about 2 years ago and he put me on Armour Thyroid for the past year. I work out atleast 4 to 5 days a week and just ran a half marathon. I'm just so tired of working my butt off and well my butt not getting any smaller :) I'm so tired of hearing my endo say well you have to work harder than the average person. I just finished the Thyroid diet book I wasn't too impressed with it actually. She gave a few good tips but nothing that I hadn't really heard or read about before. Of course in the book she did talk about low carb diet although I don't feel like I eat a lot of carbs anyway maybe I need to increase my protein. She talks alot about supplements......cinnamon....fish oil....etc etc. Anyone out there take any supplements such as cinnamon, probiotic etc that has helped them?

I struggling alot with being bloated to the point to where somedays I look like I'm 6 months pregnant.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm needing a lot of support right now when it comes to hypothyroidism.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've been on meds for at least 10 years. My main advice is patience. All I've done is stayed within my calorie count, for the most part, with only going way over on planned occasions like family gatherings. I've become really anal about portion size - if you don't have one, I recommend getting a food scale.

I haven't followed any particular diet, but I can say that I'm not eating as many carbs as I used to, and I find that my sodium is naturally under the recommended amount. So, I'd say check those numbers regularly.

Good luck!
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Seems when I eat carbs I'm gaining again :( even went gluten free
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm staying under or at my calorie goal for the day and work out 6 times a week. So far that's the only thing that has helped me lose anything. I do worry that if I have a cheat day or go on vacation and not work out for a few days that I'll be back where I started. I might have to look into the low carb diet, never really thought about it.
  • dalmiechick45
    Options
    Join our group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

My doctor just re-nailed it in my head that I need to fully convert to the low carb (atkins or south beach type) diet...

I am curious about the connection between low carb and hypothyroidism?!

If you find out lol please let me know ... I've never had a problem losing weight by cutting cals and exercising more... Now forget it I cannot keep any weight off
  • dalmiechick45
    Options
    Join our group!

My doctor just re-nailed it in my head that I need to fully convert to the low carb (atkins or south beach type) diet...

Lucky you my doc says "Ohh it's good you're eating healthy" me" look you evil witch I've always eaten healthy, but I can't lose weight!"

Lol so your endo said low carb wow !
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Like other I am a low carbs type of girl. I had a thyroidectomy as I had thyroid cancer... So I have nada in there... Make sure your taking your synthroid an hour before you eat or drink..

what if you don't ? how much of a difference does it make???

i have been hypo for years and have had a very hard time loosing weight. my dr has never said anything to me about low carb or anything just to exercise 40 min a day and eat healthy... it's been 6 months and i have lost 10 lbs.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Join our group!

I am curious about the connection between low carb and hypothyroidism?!

I've been Hypo for almost about 18 years, and take 240 of synthroid. My weight has gone up every year. The lowest I've been was when I did Atkins many years ago, but it really was not sustainable for me.Now I keep my carbs around 25% protein is 30% the rest is fat, I try to have good fats in my diet such as walnuts and good oils.

I lose very very slowly. I gain weight very quickly, and have trouble getting rid of fat. My doctor told me that if you want to lose weight to do it before you get older, and I didn't.

Right now I'm trying HIIT cardio on the elliptical to see if I can reduce my bodyfat% (46% gasp!)
  • dalmiechick45
    Options
    it makes a difference to take your meds properly... soy, calcium, and other things including coffee sugars ect can counteract your synthroid (or whatever version you take) best to take your meds an hour before eating or drinking anything (excluding water of course) To get as much t4 absorption as possible is pretty key... otherwise your levels will bounce around
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    it makes a difference to take your meds properly... soy, calcium, and other things including coffee sugars ect can counteract your synthroid (or whatever version you take) best to take your meds an hour before eating or drinking anything (excluding water of course) To get as much t4 absorption as possible is pretty key... otherwise your levels will bounce around

Really??... I have never heard this before?... My doctor never told me anything on HOW to to be taking my nature throid.... If you have coffee firth thing in teh morning and wantt o wait and take your meds later.... How long would you have to wait to get full absorbsion?...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Do you all go with the calorie recommendations from the various calculators and MFP recommendations or do you adjust b/c of your thyroid condition? I know the right answer is to go with whatever works for your body, but I am having a hard time finding that sweet spot. Seems nothing works for my body!
  • Mama_cc
    Mama_cc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I wait 30min to 1hour after meds to eat anything. If I have coffee, I wait also. I stopped all soy products and lowered my carb/sugar intake and that helped me. Was on Levoxil for many years, until this past fall my doc switched me to armour. I love it. and can feel a difference. However, I feel that stress, age, carbs, workouts and TOM all are much more impacting to my body w/hypoT. I feel more sensitive to all those factors and try to keep a healthy balance now that I'm in my 40s. Anything out of whack really throws me off and I gain.
  • FJHutch
    FJHutch Posts: 34
    Options
    I am in the process of getting diagnosed. My last lot of bloods were boderline for underactive and I am just waiting for the results of the latest lot.
    The nurse said even if it stays borderline it will eventually hit the magic number and then they will look at medication.

I have lost 21lbs fairly regularly since Christmas and then it has just stopped. I get a lot of the other symptoms too. I hadn't heard that low carb could be the way to go. I have done it before but didn't enjoy the fat, cream and cheese over load. But then I am frustrated that I am trying to eat lots of fruit, veg, seeds and healthy fats and getting nowhere fast.
  • tasmin21
    tasmin21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No thyroid here either, due to cancer.

It's soooo crucial that your med levels are correct. Back in 2010, I lost 20 pounds, and then I got injured shovelling snow and couldn't work out for months. Well, sometime in the midst of all that, my levels went all out of whack, and I spent most of 2011 trying to get that under control.

Luckily, I didn't gain the weight back, but I'm just now getting to the point where I can start trying to lose again. Doing fairly well with just exercising and watching my numbers.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    wow i didn't know that it made a difference when you took your meds... my dr never said anything to me about it....i know on my bottle it only says take before breakfast that's it.. I have a BAD habit of forgetting to take my pill at the same time each day, i will get up and forget instantly.... there is no way i could wait 1 hr to eat after taking my meds, i'd be on the floor passed out! i normally have to eat within 30 min of getting up... so if i CAN remember to take it as soon as i wake up then i will be ok, and eat 30 min after...

so what can anyone tell me about the difference between synthroid and armour. I have been having lots of symptoms and i had my blood tested and she said that i am in the normal range " of course"... and there isn't much room to mess with my meds or I'll be getting too much.. so what is one to do? how can i get rid of all my symptoms?? i thought of asking her to try a different type of med but wan'\t sure what the real difference is
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump