5k Time

Options
Just wanted to get a feel for what your time was the very first time you ran a 5k. If you wouldnt mind, listing your age at the time and your time for the 5k.

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    My first was 27:47 in February of this year. I was 39. My 3rd one (plus a 10K) was last Saturday and my time was 25:37. I'm still 39.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Age 43, my time was 30:24 (chip timed)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My very first 5k was about 55 minutes at age 43. My first 5k race was 39 minutes at 43.

My 5k time now is 36:30 at age 44.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was at age 53 and my chip time was just under 40 min, the same race a year later was 26:46.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    54 & 35min
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    27:56 - 2005 @ 36 years old
    19:36 - 3 days ago @ 43 years old

Several thousand miles of running occurred between those two races.

That being said, don't compare yourself to other people's results. Just go out there and have fun. Don't worry about your time.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    What is chip time? I'm new at this clearly. Started c25k this week. :)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    My first race is this saturday so I don't have an official time. I still run in 10 and 1 intervals and can complete a 5k practice run in 35 mins as such.

Durr, can't read, forgot to add my age. I'm 38.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

It's a device that attaches to your shoe (newer ones are actually part of the race bib) that records when you cross over a mat at the start line and the finish line to give you an accurate time. So, if you start at the back of 30,000 people and it takes you 20 minutes to get to the start line, that doesn't get added to your time. They also put mats at various points along the route on longer races to record splits.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    When you run a race your bib number usually has a chip in it...or one you attach to your shoe to time you. It starts when you cross start and stops when you finish. Everyone here has such precise numbers that they are most likely chip times.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 years old. My first 5k at 21 was 32 mins, and my PR when I was 23 is 26:05.
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My first official 5k is in 2 weeks but I have been timing myself when i practice and Im around 31:00, 29 yrs old and I just started running less than a year ago. im hoping to get down to 28-29 min eventually but really im just excited to be a runner no matter what the time :) good luck, c25k is a great program. i am going to eventually start bridge to 10K
  • danni033081
    danni033081 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was this year and my time is 50 mins I'm 30.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My first was 29:42 at 38 years old, three months after starting Couch to 5k. My best time was 24:59 about 7 months later.
  • rpillen
    rpillen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k right before Easter of this year. My time was 36:36 and I'm 36. Planning on doing my next one Memorial day weekend and trying to improve my time. My goal for the first race was just not to come in last....and i didn't.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Mine was 33 but I think it should have been more like 30-31 since I seemed to have to slow down alot and dodge people with strollers/dogs and people who thought they could run the whole way but ended up stopping to walk right in front of you-still a little pissed off about these things, can you tell?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I used to run in high school and college, but only recently started running again (I'm 30). My first 5K in twelve years was last weekend, and I ran in 25:10.
  • robmaguire1
    robmaguire1 Posts: 111
    Options
    Ran first 5k last August when I was 42. Time was 34:10. Goal for 2012 is to run sub 20:00 (BWAHAHAHAHAHA):laugh:
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first on Saturday too and am trying not to focus on the time since I seem to be fluctuating and find myself a little frustrated, so let it go and just looking to finish at my best whatever the time may be, but love seeing people's times and how they've improved over time. Awesome motivation.
  • CTredsoxfan
    CTredsoxfan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did my first 5k at age 49- crossed the finish line at 36.04. Dont worry about your time just do it. Most people would never even try.