5k Time

Options

Replies

• jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    1st 5K was 32:25 (I was 36) and this was after the couch 25K. Latest 5K (early April 2012) at age 38 is 28:09.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to get a feel for what your time was the very first time you ran a 5k. If you wouldnt mind, listing your age at the time and your time for the 5k.

45 and 29:59
  • jglode
    jglode Posts: 1
    Options
    I am doing my first 5k on June 16th and I will be 55 years old. Trying to clean up the bucket list.
  • belle_74
    belle_74 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My first (and only) 5K was two years ago, I was 36 and it took me just under 33 minutes to complete. I haven't ran a race since then :smile:

I am back running again now (fell off the wagon there for a while) and training for a 5K in June & then an 8K in August! I would also like to try a 10K before the end of the year I just haven't found one I would like to do yet! Next year I would like to try a 10 miler and a half!!!! And then a marathon before I am 40 (April '14) - a girl can dream :laugh:
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    my first timed 5k is Sunday May 20. It is the lilac 5k in Western NY. I have been training for 11 weeks and I am consitantly at a 44 minute 5K. I am 40. I am half way to my weight loss goals. I really hope for a better chip time, but honestly I hate running.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My first 5k ever! 53 yrs old chip time @ 47:18 I was so glad just to start it let alone finish in front of others!!!
  • carebear0173
    carebear0173 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    my very first 5K was on April 21, 2012 - ran a 24:41 ... i am 39. ready to go again !!!!
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    What is chip time? I'm new at this clearly. Started c25k this week. :)

When you are in a 5K they have a chip in your number. It starts at the same time for all runners. Then when you cross the finish line it gets your end time. So if you start in the back of the pack your timer starts before you do. Good luck on c25K that is what I used to train.
  • belle_74
    belle_74 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    1st 5K was 32:25 (I was 36) and this was after the couch 25K. Latest 5K (early April 2012) at age 38 is 28:09.

Wow! That is a serious improvement! Very impressive ... I am hoping for an improvement too for my second 5K but there is no way it would be good (I am thinking more 32 minutes from 33 minutes :laugh: )
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just started running in December (c25k).

I'm 36.

Just ran my first race last weekend, 37'26". Very hilly!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was October of last year. I was 31, and my official chip time was 30:53. I had to stop to walk several times. I did not train at all. :laugh:

My 5K PR occurred in April, with an official time of 26:58. I'm shooting for a 10% reduction in my time (26:31) in a 5K this month. And I'm still 31.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What is chip time? I'm new at this clearly. Started c25k this week. :)

When you are in a 5K they have a chip in your number. It starts at the same time for all runners. Then when you cross the finish line it gets your end time. So if you start in the back of the pack your timer starts before you do. Good luck on c25K that is what I used to train.

Not exactly. Your time starts when you cross the mat at the starting line, not when the gun goes off (unless you are at the start line when the gun goes off, obviously).
  • ape087
    ape087 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was the Susan Koeman 5K last year. I was 24 and my time was about 45 minutes, which included stopping so my mom could use the rest room.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Mine was 33 but I think it should have been more like 30-31 since I seemed to have to slow down alot and dodge people with strollers/dogs and people who thought they could run the whole way but ended up stopping to walk right in front of you-still a little pissed off about these things, can you tell?

This is why I always go closer to the front than I should. I start off quickly, so as not to annoy the "real" runners, and then I make my way to the side to get into my comfortable pace. My comfortable pace is @ a 9 minute mile, but I line up near the front of the 8-minute milers (and sometimes with the 7-minute milers). :happy:
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    28 y/o as of this Friday.....My first 5k was 43min 44secs and this was when I first started working out and hadn't ran since college days- alot of walking. I have done 5 5k's so far, improved on every one and I ran my last one in 35min 13secs back in February- all are chipped times. I plan to do a couple more this year and shoot for 30min, but I am training for my first marathon which is in Dec.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My first was last summer at age 33 and I finished in 31:09. I had only been running again for about a month after a 9 year break.

I've improved quite a bit since then. That's the only official 5k I've done (I'll be doing more this summer). Unofficially I've been running 5k around 24 minutes lately. I just finished a 10k race last weekend at 49:01.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    First 5K was in 2009. My time was 28:28. My age was 52! The next time I ran that same race, my time was 24:10.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My first ever 5K last fall at age 38 was 36:31.

I think you should have fun with your first race and use that number to compare and try for a PR. Don't compare yourself to others cus everyone has different fitness levels and history.
    :flowerforyou:
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever completed 5k took me 38 mins. I'm 19. I haven't run a race yet, though, so my time is a bit of an estimate! Hoping to improve in the next few months!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Age 22, 38:56. Hoping to get it under 30 this weekend.