Pull Ups

Options
So, I just bet this guy ( who is going over Afghanistan) that when he comes home ( In 10 months) I will be able to do atleast 20 Pull ups. Right now, I can't do ANY! I can hardly life 10 lbs with my arms. What are some exercise tips to start condition myself and building up my upper body strength. Anything helps!

Replies

• tamaruchan
    tamaruchan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found this cool website that shows you how to build up to doing twenty pull ups at a time.
    http://twentypullups.com/node/9
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/
    I haven't tried this yet because I am doing another program but it looks very doable!
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    If you can't even do one, start with negatives. Put a box or stool or something under your pullup bar so that when you are on it, you are in the full up position. Then step off and lower yourself as slowly as possible. Do this until you are basically just stepping off and dropping to full extension.

That's day 1. Rest a day or two until soreness goes away. Try to do a pull up, get as high as you can. When you can't get higher, repeat day 1.

Repeat until you are able to do a full one, then do single pull ups with a minute or two rest in between until you can't do any more, then repeat day 1.

Keep this up until you can do your goal.
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Start with an assisted pull up with one or two feet on a chair. Did this when I started P90X and pushed myself to do as many as i could by the end of my round of P90X i could do around 20-23 pull ups unassisted!
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't wait to prove him wrong!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    lose 20 lbs
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Negative pullups, Aussie pullups
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Me and my friends had this challenge last year. I went from 3 to 17.

1. Take a week off before you test yourself
    2. Do three week cycles
    3. I use to do 20 rep workouts and the beginning then work your way up to 40
    4. Rest 48 between workouts
    5. Pull-up has to be your only back workout
    6. Don't wast your time on the assisted pull-up machine, get a chair and do negative pull-ups
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What did you bet?
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If you can't even do one, start with negatives. Put a box or stool or something under your pullup bar so that when you are on it, you are in the full up position. Then step off and lower yourself as slowly as possible. Do this until you are basically just stepping off and dropping to full extension.

That's day 1. Rest a day or two until soreness goes away. Try to do a pull up, get as high as you can. When you can't get higher, repeat day 1.

Repeat until you are able to do a full one, then do single pull ups with a minute or two rest in between until you can't do any more, then repeat day 1.

Keep this up until you can do your goal.

This is exactly what they say to do in NROWL4W! :smile:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm LOLing at your super long tongue in your profile pic. Nice! I would like to do this too...can't do one yet, but will watch for tips.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lose 20 lbs??? Seriously!?!?!?
    lose 20 lbs
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I just started doing them in a water aerobics class by pulling myself up on the diving board. If you have access to a pool you could do that or try using the ladder. You'd be surprised at how much it helps and it's easier. You can also add ankle weights if it's not hard enough for you.

Just don't do this alone!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So, I just bet this guy ( who is going over Afghanistan) that when he comes home ( In 10 months) I will be able to do atleast 20 Pull ups. Right now, I can't do ANY! I can hardly life 10 lbs with my arms. What are some exercise tips to start condition myself and building up my upper body strength. Anything helps!

Not be be a downer but most people I know cannot even come close to 20 pull-ups, and these are people, mostly men, that are fit and have worked out for years. I think you may have your work cut out for you.

I have don't P90X 7 times, the last round with a 20lb weighted vest and I can still only get 28 pull-ups (31 chin-ups), And that took me 2 years to build up to from 16 pull-ups.
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    Negatives, shed excess pounds, pulldowns, gravitron, shed excess pounds. When you are able to do the chins/pull ups, do them.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to do 5 pullups without cheating. It's on my bucket list.

I highly recommend the guide on Geekfitness. Good stuff.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Well go get em.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/
    I haven't tried this yet because I am doing another program but it looks very doable!
    Peace! :flowerforyou:

very intresting
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Lose 20 lbs??? Seriously!?!?!?
    lose 20 lbs

well that is the fastest way to add more pullups.......