How do you save money on food?

Options
TrailRunner61
TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
After reading through the previous forums, I see that I'm already doing what a lot of people suggest, but I'm still looking for ways to save $$ on food.
I already have a garden. I go to farmers markets. I hate couponing and most of those are for pre-packaged junk anyway. I try to buy in bulk, if it's available.

How do YOU save money on fresh/healthy food?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just buy foodstamps from the neighborhood junkie
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing your own canning? It's fun and saves $.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    do you have an Adli food store near you? They have awesome produce...for example this week a bag of baby carrots in $.49...they have all kinds of great prices...i buy the majority of my groceries there and then go to the larger chain if there is a name brand i really need.
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    I find that having a meal plan really helps as you only buy what you need in the quantities that you need it and there is less wastage of fresh stuff that way. Also saves having to figure out what to make for dinner/packed lunch!
    At the moment I have 3 x 2 weekly cycles that I use for us, change it seasonally to allow for seasonal produce and cravings in cold winters.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My grocery store has different types of fresh lean meats on sale BOGO-Free every week. I stock up on those and freeze them in family dinner-size quantities. I also by lean ground beef in bulk and freeze it in one-pound portions. I use my FoodSaver for freezing and that helps keep the meat a lot fresher.

Doing this, I have found I can usually stockpile enough fresh (frozen by me) meats over the course of two or three weeks that I do not have to buy any meats for the remaining one or two weeks in a month. That cuts my monthly grocery bill down significantly.
  • lillybella
    lillybella Posts: 7
    Options
    we tried to cut back our grocery budget but realized that it just won't work. i'm not going to compromise the food we put into our body. so we cut back in our budget from other things to make up for it. is there wiggle room somewhere else? and the farmer's market and gardens are a great idea :D i had plans to start my own garden this year but realized we will be traveling around too much and i don't have anyone to help water/take care of it while we are gone. maybe next year.
  • kbehrends
    kbehrends Posts: 12
    Options
    I haven't been much of a coupon or price match type of person, but I decided to give it a try. By price matching I was able to get a week's worth of groceries for around $50 for a family of four. To get better prices on fruits and veggies, price matching is the way to go. If you have an Aldi store near you or in your town, get your ads out and compare prices. I found that Aldi was cheaper than anywhere else and our local Wal-Mart price matched the item as long as it was the same size bag and product (even though it wasn't the same brand).

I used to think price matching was CRAZY! However, my husband just lost his job, so I have a whole new understanding of saving everything you can at the store!
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I also swear by Aldi's their fresh produce is excellent and hands down the best prices around. This weeks ad:
    Baby carrots: $.49
    Cucumbers: $.25
    Grape Tomatoes: $.79
    Iceberg Salad Mix: $.49
    Mushrooms: $.79
    4 Pack Multi Colored Peppers: $1.69

If that isn't enough convincing, I don't know what is.

I also watch for sales and stock up on chicken breasts and other staples. Some I use to make ahead and freeze meals and some I split into family sized portions that I can grab out of the freezer to make things with. I always plan my dinner menu for the following week. Take things out of the freezer, buy the produce I need and viola! dinner is a no brainer.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome ideas already. Thank you so much!
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    Ok, but is organic a concern to you at all? Anything with a face or eyes has to be organic and anything that is on the "dirty dozen" list has to be organic. So, I find it hard to save on groceries except when the farmers' markets are in full swing.
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I shop at Aldi too for most all of my produce. At Aldi cucumbers are 49 cent each, at the others they were on sale for 89 cent each. Onions are 69 cent for a 2 pound bag and the lowest I've found anywhere else is .59 a pound.

I buy my meat in bulk at Sam's and then split it up before I freeze it. This week skinless boneless breasts at Sam's were $1.99 a pound and the cheapest grocery store they were $2.99 a pound. I know I can buy bone in breasts occasionally for .99 and debone myself but the extra dollar is worth it to me not to mess with it.

I also try to keep a price list so I can compare prices to make sure I'm getting the lowest price.
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I just buy foodstamps from the neighborhood junkie

LMAO!! :laugh:
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Man, my Aldi isn't that cheap! :)

I still shop there for produce though. They're a lot cheaper than Wegman's and they're adding more fresh foods all the time. Used to be, you could only find cheesy poofs and generic hamburger helper there.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the others who have said they plan their menus in advance. Every Sunday I make the week's menu, including lunches, and make my grocery list from that.

I am only cooking for my husband and myself, but I do not halve recipes that make too much. We either eat the leftovers for lunch, or I freeze them for another dinner later in the month. We try our very best never to throw food away. Every portion I cook has a planned purpose.

On that note, I also pre-portion meals before serving them. Spaghetti, for example, makes four servings. So I portion out two servings onto plate and two servings into tupperware before we even eat dinner. That keeps either of us from "eating into" what would be our lunch the next day.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I never coupon. Like you, I tend to think it's the highly processed, packaged foods that are discounted this way.

*I shop the bulk bins at the natural food stores a lot.
    *I read my favorite grocery store flyer, and shop the weekly sales, and moderately stock up on the items on sale.
    *I cook from scratch mostly.
    *I tend to buy seasonal produce, eg no strawberries in February.
    *I eat a lot of beans and lentils for protein and fiber.
    *Breakfast is usually organic oatmeal from the bulk bin--very cheap and filling.
    *I try to cook simply, and avoid recipes with multiple ingredients which are likely to be used for that single recipe.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting and Eat Stop Eat!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing your own canning? It's fun and saves $.

I found doing my own canning to be far more expensive than purchasing canned food at the store. Perhaps because I didn't have a garden. Also, my utility bills quadrupled for those months.
  • toshadyson1979
    Options
    I'm also going to have to say Aldi...not so much for their fresh fruit though, but everything else I will get from there. Go with the boneless skinless chicken breast, tuna, tuna and more tuna (Aldi has a great price on tuna), and fish!
  • maikastar
    maikastar Posts: 78
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the markdown rack. That's usually the first place I hit on my supermarket run - mostly just in the meat section - I can't guarantee what I will find there, but if I hit up my supermarket around 4.30pm, they start marking down all the meat that's meant to be bought by the next day. Nothing wrong with any of it, but if I can get stuff I need for between 50 - 75% off, I'm not going to ignore that.

Other than that, if you have access to a food co-op, join it. The one I have near me gives me all organics at in many cases less than supermarket prices for conventionally grown produce...by being a member I get 10% those prices, but because I also volunteer, I wind up with 20% off my shopping. It's perfect though, I can buy whatever I want at bulk prices without having to buy in bulk, because the co-op has done the bulk buying for me.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to have to say Aldi...not so much for their fresh fruit though, but everything else I will get from there. Go with the boneless skinless chicken breast, tuna, tuna and more tuna (Aldi has a great price on tuna), and fish!

Our fruit is spotty at Aldi's also. Today I was there, the price on strawberries went up to 1.99 a package and half of them were moldy!! Sometimes it's okay, like the oranges or kiwi, but the strawberries, most of the time are already rotten.