How much sodium do you have each day? Help please

Options

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a big concern for me as well. I am highly prone to holding water weight and have previously had high blood pressure. Losing weight and focusing on my sodium has helped my blood pressure go from 150/115 to 120/74. For me, it's a big big deal!
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i have a major problem with sodium! i try to stay between 1000-1500 on good days and 1500-2000 on others i do notice when my sodium is high i dont lose weight!
    i also track carbs and fat grams because ive notice the same problem when those are too high as well!
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    My dietitian says to keep it around 1500-2000 a day. I never go over 2000.
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with most keep it under 2000 as much as possible if you go over one day its not a big deal as long as your getting a good amount of water...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I try to stay below 2000
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i have a tendency to retain fluids in my legs because of sitting at a desk all day long so my doctor told me no more than 1500-1800 mg per day and 8-10 glasses of water per day. I'm still on a prescription diuretic at this time but notice that if i go over 1800mg a day I can def tell a difference. I do buy canned goods but only the ones with lower sodium or no salt added and don't add salt to any of my food ever. My husband hates it when i cook like that but i just tell him that he can add salt to his plate after it's done!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    No point tracking sodium, any "weight" it causes you to gain is just water. Unless you have an unusually high sodium day before weigh in it isn't going to make any difference.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Ughh.... I don't know why it's so hard for me to not eat so much sodium. yesterday I was around 2600mg... the day before I was at 2200 and that was pretty good for me. I am doing a lot better than I used to, though. I used to put extra salt on EVERYTHING and eat out all the time. I can't even imagine how much sodium I must have been consuming. I would like to be under 2000mg but that never happens.
  • shawnp80134
    shawnp80134 Posts: 86
    Options
    Wow... just went back and looked at my sodium levels for the past week, I don't see how I'm going to get down below 2,000/day. But thanks for pointing this out.. Another thing to watch and perhaps it will really help me in the long run.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I have friends with high blood pressure that limit sodium to under 1,500 daily. But I do cycling and running and I sweat profusely so I add extra sodium on intense exercise days to make up for what I lose in sweat. I get very dehydrated on long rides and runs and the extra sodium in exercise drinks encourages me to drink more liquid, which I very much need to do. So the RDA is essentially meaningless for either end of the spectrum. Sedentary people probably need far less sodium than the RDA but highly active outdoorsy folk may find it necessary to add sodium to their diet.
  • saiabone
    saiabone Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone my diary is open now I must of had it friends only
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I don't get enough sodium most days, but I have a severe potassium deficiency, so it actually balances out pretty well (other than the whole occasionally passing out thing).

I tend to get between 1200-1400 mg/day on average.

If I do vigorous exercise, I *have* to get closer to 2000 mg.

Sodium is not good in excess, but it is important nonetheless.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I started watching the sodium because when I first joined I was losing weight but feeling bloated so my daughter told me to watch the sodium so now I stay under what they recommend with only going over on occasions. If I do eat something high in sodium for lunch I try extra hard to be more careful at dinner so that I don't go over. I feel better by watching the sodium that is for sure
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Where do they indicate sodium intake??? I missed that??
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have to have between 2,000 and 3,500 mg sodium per day to keep my blood pressure up. I'm naturally hypotensive and my heart meds make it even worse. Higher sodium intake helps balance it out.
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your picture is hysterical!!!:laugh:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had 3200mg yesterday - unsure how that happens. I am good until lunch and then it explodes. It absolutely adds to bloat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, 3 nutrients to manage + some micros is enough.
    Why do you guys track it ?
    This. Unless HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE is an issue with family history, high sodium really isn't a big deal. Now if you're not drinking enough water, expect to not lose weight along with high sodium intake. But for myself, weight on the scale isn't my first concern.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The American Heart *kitten*. says 1000mg of sodium a day.