Taking a day off exercise (the guilt!)

Options
I never thought in my life I'd eel guilt about NOT exercising. I need to take a day off, as I have exercised about 9 days in a row. This is a hard mental adjustment. I feel like I should be doing something.

I suppose some Yoga and stretching isn't really exercising so much is it? ;)

Replies

• fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I know, I never thought I'd get to the point where I felt guilty either! I've done my neck in a bit, so even though I stupidly went for a run and then a three-hour walk the next day (the wind probably didn't help with my neck), I've forced myself to take the last three days off. It's starting to feel better now, and I've got my regular dance class tonight, but I'm sort of dreading getting back into it now!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Recovery is more important the the workout when dieting down.

Google it.

Nutrition is 70% diet
    Rest is 20% diet
    Working out is 10% diet

When you get to a point where you are at maintenance or even eating above maintenance, workout more!
    You can fuel it!
    For now...rest and enjoy it!
  • sheragill
    sheragill Posts: 8
    Options
    You do need to take a day off just to let your muscles rest. It is a hard mental thought process but it will help you in the long wrong and you won't be prone to injury. Of course, I am the same way. Wednesdays are my day off and I hate it, but I leave all my running around on that day so I am out and about doing things and not just sitting. Good luck.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Recovery, growth and repair happens when resting.....all your doing is hurting your progress in the long run.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    True story. Day off it is. Hmmm now what am I going to do with my time today... :)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I exercise hard m-f and make myself take the weekends off! I feel guily for not exercising on the weekends but I know my body needs the rest. Hang in there and rest!
  • roeh
    roeh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree a rest is important although you may feel guilty. I am fighting with the same feelings this morning. I've gotten into a routine, but I am making Wed my rest day, and today my back is thanking me for the rest but also letting me know I need to work harder on the core.

So maybe consider something very light and restful, say a not so fast paced walk. That is my plan for the evening and some sit-ups on the stability ball before bed are in the plan
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered....how hard do you have to exercise to justify taking that day off?

I mean, I don't do a lot of strength training (I know! I know!) and mostly walk at various speeds depending on the song I'm listening to for exercise (other than the tiny bit of running to make a light so I can continue walking without having to wait for it). Otherwise, I have a desk job and am completely lazy at home (when I'm not exercising).
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i exercise every day unless i'm sick or injured. my exercise is fairly low impact, however.