THUNDER THIGHS

Options
lcarr1020
lcarr1020 Posts: 62 Member
Hello, I have been working out for a few weeks now everyday and I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there that can give me suggestions on how to lose my thighs! I'm displeased with the way they look and cant feel comfortable wearing shorts when I take my vacation in July. Is there ANYTHING I can do in the gym that will help tone my thunder thighs? Thanks for Reading!!

Replies

• DemiRaye
    DemiRaye Posts: 37
    Options
    I personally use weight machines in the gym that work on legs (leg extension, prone leg curl, hip abduction/adduction, leg press, etc.), and I use pretty heavy weights. Squats and lunges should also help. Good luck!
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Pilates are helpful for me and also stairs (I do both everyday), I too have thunder thighs, but last summer I let them hang out while in Jamaica. You may not see major imporvement by July but if you focus and target that area daily, then you should get some results.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, unfortunately. Just lose the weight & firm up what you've got. When I lose weight, I lose on top first, the thighs take forever - but everyone is different.

Some people swear by weights for lower body toning, others swear by spinning. The answer isn't the same for everyone. Good luck.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    For one, stop insulting yourself! That's no way to learn to love yourself! And it's important to love the skin you're in, as it's all you got!

There is no way to spot reduce, unfortunately. Though, to minimize the size, weight train, run, yoga/pilates, stairs, etc. can all help. Yoga really makes me feel trim, and lifting makes me feel like my thighs are in great shape! So what I have a huge layer of fat over the muscles. I am seeing the muscle and that's way cool!

Hope this helps!
  • lcarr1020
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is very helpful information. I am going to try to do some leg weights this this afternoon when I go to the Gym.
  • lcarr1020
    Options
    LOL Thank You! I love myself and the skin I'm in just can stand to lose some of this "extra meat" that my thighs want to hold LOL! :wink:
  • yannimom
    yannimom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    LOL Thank You! I love myself and the skin I'm in just can stand to lose some of this "extra meat" that my thighs want to hold LOL! :wink:

I have the same prob as you. Try doing 30 day shred, Jillian does a lot of squats and lunges that will help your thighs. Good luck.
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The cross trainer and stepper have really helped me lose fat on my thighs at the gym! Also, walking on a high incline on the treadmill seems to have helped too.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Your body will lose weight from where it wants to, so no amount if squats will slim you thighs (though they might add some nice muscle definition!)
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Lose weight and they will eventually get smaller. There is nothing that will take fat off of just your thighs.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    As above - you can't spot reduce fat. It's not like your muscles magically directly absorb the fat based on which is nearest. It is a complex physiological process which takes fat from wherever your body chooses and uses it for energy.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought I was supposed to check in here... You have thunder thighs too? No wonder I've been getting your mail. But seriously, that's my biggest (pun intended) problem area too. Cannot remember the last year I wore shorts. It's getting old :(
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    I have big thighs, and it takes forever for me to lose inches off them. I start feeling more confident in shorts when I can see the cut of muscle in my quads. It's not super defined, but it is definitely there, so I feel strong and proud that my legs can take me anywhere I need them too. I do not, however, see short short in my future.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    step aerobics and weight training, also jogging/running is good for "changing the shape" and giving you a lean muscle look.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym or anything I can use. So I am just walking. I try to do at least a mile a day but I don't limit myself to that if I can I do more. One day I did 5 miles. This isn't just walking for the sake of walking but I walk anywhere from 3-4 mph when I do it. I am seeing results in my hips and thighs.

Hope it helps. Just keep doing the best you can. Remember where you came from and enjoy the success you have had. Have fun on your trip.
  • ryanbullock
    ryanbullock Posts: 13
    Options
    Just remember, you can't have thunder without a little lightning.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, unfortunately. Just lose the weight & firm up what you've got. When I lose weight, I lose on top first, the thighs take forever - but everyone is different.

This.
    However based on me and a few people on my friends list, running has really helped that process for us. So I would recommend that.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I like my thunder thighs. Granted, mine are just muscular, so I don't know if you just don't like yours because they're large in general, or because they're just not defined. I like mine bigger because they're pretty muscular, so I enjoy having them be larger to show it off.

If you're looking to get some definition, do some lower body work, like squats, lunges, all that good stuff, and maybe give cardio like running a go. Part of the issue may be that you hang on to fat on your lower body longer, which means that your thighs probably won't look the way you want until you lose more of the fat, which will only happen through more cardio.
  • mrh1227
    mrh1227 Posts: 37
    Options
    While there are no definite ways to reduce the fat on your thighs, if you are lacking muscle in that area you may want to use the weight machines and get some muscle there so your body burns additional calories. It'll also leave you some nice definition later when you have reached your goal.

Also, if you aren't already try adding mono/polyunsaturated fats to your diet. If you need more information about this feel free to message me!
  • ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump .. to read advice when I'm home from work