THUNDER THIGHS

Options

Replies

• Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred toned my leg muscles; they are much slimmer now after completing that :)
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work my legs twice a week w/ heavy weight - don't worry you won't bulk. Squats - w/ weighted bar or dumbbells, sumo/plie, lunges - curtsy, walking w/ dumbbells, leg press machine, step ups on a bench, box jumps, etc. HIIT - high intensity interval training - stair sprints, running/walking on a high incline treadmill. All these will work your quads/hammies/glutes. Just keep at it and you'll build muscle.
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wear bernudas! :tongue:
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Diet and proper eating is a big helper.

I have those Reeboks Easy Tones. I LOVE THEM. They have helped my thighs, but I also walk miles a day (I don't drive).

Hiking and stairs, etc.

Realizing that a woman 100 pounds more than you has no issue wearing shorts, because she would rather be comfortable in the summer than care what people think might help your personal self image a little too.
  • keish84
    keish84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LOL Thank You! I love myself and the skin I'm in just can stand to lose some of this "extra meat" that my thighs want to hold LOL! :wink:

I have the same prob as you. Try doing 30 day shred, Jillian does a lot of squats and lunges that will help your thighs. Good luck.

^^^ I totally agree...Jillian Micheals does a lot of emphasis on lower body which you can do with weights or just using ur own body weight. Try Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs that's also a good one. Good Luck :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm a rare nut, because I'm a dude and I've always had thunder thighs. It's a genetic thing. Embrace the thunder thighs! Start doing squats at the gym and you may find that your legs respond well to training.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges and deadlifts (with heavy weights) haven't yet made mine a lot SMALLER per se, but they are much less jiggly and much less dimpled from cellulite.
  • tori_grr
    tori_grr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Like people said you can't Target one area but it seems I'm losing a lot of my thighs/ booty I was a size 11 and I'm almost back to a 7. I swim everyday half of that workout is just pure kicking I also do various strength workouts a the most tiresome kick your butt is anything that requires you to squat :)
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just remember, you can't have thunder without a little lightning.

Love it!! :-)
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My thighs are also one of my problem areas as well. I noticed it is the hardest area to get control of on my body. I purchased the Brazil Butt Lift and all of the workouts focus so much on the bottom half that it’s really good for toning butt and thighs. I’m not sure if you know where to get it, but I’m sure it will help you get your thighs the way you want them. I purchased mine from beachbody.com.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Saran wrap and sauna??
  • tori_grr
    tori_grr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also, any toning shoe sketchers, Reebok, Nike is a waste of money and can cause injury all these shoes do is put to much strain on your ankles they don't tone
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges baby!!! And if you can hold a medicine ball or a beach ball over your head while you do lunges, your core will go apesht as well!!!!
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    As someone said, wear longer shorts, thunder thighs, takes a while to get rid of. I have them too.
    Don't stress over them. Enjoy your vacation.
  • jennay611
    jennay611 Posts: 9
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a workout called "Killer Buns & Thighs" with three levels focused on (you guessed it!) your butt and thighs. I'm enjoying it thus far and starting to see more definition as well. I've also started the Couch-to-5k running program (because I'm definitely not a runner at this point!) for some additional cardio for overall fat reduction (to get rid of the extra layer covering those lean muscles JM is helping me build!). I can definitely feel both workouts working my legs big time. If you start soon, you could conceivably complete KBT by July. C25K is 9 weeks long (you can look it up online and should be able to find the basic plan for each week's interval training), so you might not finish it, but you could get a good start on it. I hope this helps!
  • Susanxxxx
    Susanxxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You should try get 'killer buns and thighs' dvd from jillian micheals. It even rid me of the dreaded saddle bags :)
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ok, let me just say, I have ALWAYS had the "thunder thighs" still do compared to the rest of my legs LOL but on a serious note.. I started the 30 day shred 15 days ago and put all the effort I have into it and my thigh have dramatically shrunk.. =) there is hope don't give up!!
  • jennay611
    jennay611 Posts: 9
    Options
    You should try get 'killer buns and thighs' dvd from jillian micheals. It even rid me of the dreaded saddle bags :)

Sweet! I'm half-way through and looking forward to leaving mine at the baggage claim!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I agree that 30DS is a great workout and have seen progress from friends losing inches all over! I also like to do HIIT!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just want to throw this out there, and see if anyone will agree (or disagree) with me:

There are 2 types of muscle fibers, slow twitch and fast twitch. The slow twitch muscles are useful for posture, and things that need to be held for long periods of time. The fast twitch muscles are useful for instantaneous, *quick* responses. Each muscle bundle (like the quadriceps, the glutes, etc) will have a combination of the 2 types of fibers. Some muscles will have more of one. The postural muscles in your back will have mostly slow twitch, but some fast twitch as well. Your fingers, on the other hand, have some slow twitch fibers (allowing you to hold and clench something for a period of time) but more fast twitch fibers (allowing you to type quickly.)

Here's my theory: those of us with "thunder thighs" have more slow-twitch fibers in the quads. Runners, and especially cyclists, build up the fast-twitch fibers with their training and thus get a longer, leaner appearance in their quads. If you do extended-length exercises, like squats for a minute, or slow weight-lifting, you are building up the bulky slow-twitch fibers. Of course you need some slow-twitch fibers in your quads---- remember, they are holding up the rest of you! But you want to focus on increasing the work of the fast-twitch fibers by working fast with those muscles.

The difference between a bird's breast (white) meat and the dark meat: different proportions of fast vs. slow-twitch fibers. The breast needs to support the bird in flight, over long periods of time (slow-twitch), and it builds up bulky. The rest of the bird has more fast-twitch muscles. (Don't ask why the dark meat has more fat, though!)