How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I've been weighing myself every day, but some people say that that is counter-productive as your weight changes day-to-day. So how often do you all weigh yourselves and why?

Replies

• StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I like to see how the previous day's food/exercise effects me. I don't get frustrated when the numbers go up, I just think about what've done that I need to change.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    2x a day. I keep the lower of the two numbers.

I track my wieght daily and keep it along with my cal in'/out data to calcuate my BMR instead of using a formula to estimate it. (google The Hackers Diet to learn how to do this).

If you graph your weight, daily fluctuations should become readily apparent and you shouldn't freak out. But you have to at least keep track of it or graph it for your mental health. Weighing yourself daily and not keeping track of it is a recipe for disaster.
  • Denise6914
    Denise6914 Posts: 176
    Options
    Daily. I just feel it keeps me more accountable. I don't freak over every little fluctuation.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I only weigh about once a week. Don't like the daily looking at the scale stress
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Once per month. The body doesn't work on 24 hour cycles, or weekly cycles so it's not relevant. I measure hips/arms weekly. That actually makes a difference.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I get up, before breakfast.
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but if I don't see the number go down or if it goes up I don't freak out. I just like to see where I am day to day.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    twice per fortnight
  • sparkmanr
    sparkmanr Posts: 14
    Options
    I weigh weekly at the same time. In the morning, before my shower with no clothes so I have an accurate number. You shouldn't weight yourself daily, that is definately not accurate, but more important than actual pounds is measuring the inches you have lost. Inches tells the true story.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    When I am curious. Every 4-8 weeks or so
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When I wake up and when I go to bed. Habit!
  • getfitbesexy
    Options
    I weight myself once a month - I also use a measure tape to see where i'm losing weight, every 2 weeks. It's good to do both because muscle weighs more than fat.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same time of the day. Not everyone can handle the mental side of weighing every day. I'm one that can't. I think it makes more sense to do it once a week, but what Waldo said does make sense, I just don't have that level of commitment or self esteem. It's all about you though, not others. As long as you aren't doing anything unhealthy, more power to you!
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. Always on Friday, first thing in the morning, no matter what. Wether I had a great week or a bad one, I weigh in every Friday. Writing it down every week also helps me. Being that I am a female, I can see my weigh ups and downs throughout the month. This helps me stay focused and not obsess over the numbers daily.

Good luck!
  • zanneadams
    zanneadams Posts: 3
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. There are studies that say weighing yourself everyday can help prevent weight gain by keeping track of your weight. However there are plenty of other studies that say just the opposite. My motto - as long as I'm in a good frame of mind and staying positive and not a slave to the scale - weigh everyday.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily out of curiosity, but I only count it weekly, on Wednesday mornings.
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    once a month maybe I like knowing that my clothes don't fit, Im going to start measuring myself to keep track of things a little better, Im the type that would read into it way to much if I weighed myself more then that.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Daily. It keeps me on track and I'm just anal.
  • norariz
    norariz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Every time I see the scale - is that obsessive? :smile: I write write down the lowest of the day, but only chart the week's average.
  • Cat_from_Chicago
    Cat_from_Chicago Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    weekly mostly b/c that's what MFP suggested

& I'd forget to do it daily