Excercising with Asthma

Options
Hi Guys, I suffer from really bad asthma and have ever since i was little.
Does anyone know a form of excercise the wont spark up my Asthma?
For nowe it is under control, i usually go brisk walking for about half an hour and that doesnt seem to set it off that much, but as its getting colder, i need something to substitute going out in the cod and getting the cold on my chest.
If anyone could suggest anything else and would like to talk about it, add me or send me a message :)
Thanks Shann xxx

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I only started having asthma issues four years ago. It's been pretty bad since. I go some months doing fine then some months that i use my inhaler several times a day. I started working out last fall and it's made a big difference for me. I have symbicort now to control it but haven't been using because i'm doing ok. I haven't had one of those bad months in probably 6-8 months. But i'm still considered obese and haven't had this my whole life. You can do indoor walking videos from Leslie Sansone. They are great and it's what i started working out with. In the winter i will use them again more. I'm able to do HIIT workouts but they are very taxing but i really think it's all helped. I just work through it but notice i'm just more winded then my friend that i workout with. I don't know if any of this helps but i hope you can find something you enjoy and maybe even strengthen your lungs. I can jog some now which was much harder before(for me 5 min. straight is great,lol).
  • zombiebitten
    Options
    I have had severe asthma my entire life and to be honest there isn't much that won't set it off. Even walking sets it off, but I can keep it under control. During the days that are nice out I walk outside on a track at the junior high across the street from me. During the colder months I go to the indoor mall and walk around there, if you go in the early morning there aren't too many people so it can be a nice work out. Also, if I can't get to the mall early enough I have an air glider that I use, but I can only use it for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time before I have to stop, but I just do it several times a day instead of once. Other than that you could try using a face mask when you are out if it is cold out. Just make sure you always have an inhaler with you and a way for emergency help if needed no matter what you are doing. I just always take my cellphone with 911 on speed dial and the local fire stations know I have asthma plus I have a bracelet. Good luck and I hope that has helped a little.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I did not start having symptoms of asthma until later in life, around 50. I was very scared that I wouldn't be able to work out like I wanted. I started at the end of February and couldn't even walk 2 minutes without gasping and needing my inhaler. After almost 9 weeks now, I can walk 30. As the weight comes off and I build up more endurance, it has slowly been getting better. I won't say that it's easy, it's not.

I am assuming you have your doctor's advice to go by too. I would not push myself too hard and would keep your inhaler close. See how you do and go from there. I have started actually doing strength training too. And, as my profile picture shows, I am in love with Kettlebells now! Good luck! Exercise safely!
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    What do you take? I take Advair every night and I also have Ventolin as my rescue inhaler. Do you have a maintenance inhaler?

I don't know your fitness goals (what are they?) but have you tried lifting instead of cardio? Or, mainly lifting and adding cardio 1x a week or so?
  • famouslastwords41
    famouslastwords41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had severe asthma since I was a kid and take Advair and ventolin...I'm now training to become a cop. I find the easiest thing for me is to take both inhalers 20 minutes before I go out and go for a local run with a friend, or preferably the gym so someone is always around worse case scenario...I just do quick sprints and push myself until I have to slow down, then wait till I feel I can go again
  • minicoopsie
    minicoopsie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was dx with adult onset asthma about 9 months ago and I have been struggling to find an exercise that does not cause my asthma to flare up. Some days I can do an hour of zumba and biggest loser for the wii however other days I can barely walk up a flight of stairs. This has become very frusterating and I am actually afraid to exercise most days. Does anyone have any advice? I am getting married in a year and also work two jobs while going to school.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, if it's exercise-induced, there isn't much you can do, save take medication that prevent it happening, like albuterol 15 minutes before exercise, Advair or another controller medication (I used to take Advair, but since I no longer have insurance, I can't afford it), or ephedrine to help open up your airways. I take ephedrine tablets about a half hour before running or bedtime, and it helps keep my lungs open and clear. I have had severe asthma since I was little as well, but it's not exercise-induced, so it's usually just fine when I do anything strenuous, so long as there aren't really bad allergens going around, so it may be different that yours.
  • rustyfla
    rustyfla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've also had asthma since I was a child.

I am still under the care of a doctor and take Advair twice daily, and Albuterol when needed.
    I was told to use the Albuterol inhaler before I exercise and that has seemed to help me, but you should check with your doctor
    to make sure your Asthma is controlled.

The good news is, in the past 6 months, I've lost 60 lbs, and use an Elliptical machine with heart rate around 80 to 85%, and have been able to increase intensity every couple weeks.

I had a Spirometry test (test lung functions) yesterday for my 6 month checkup and my results improved by 20%.
    The doctor kept telling me it would improve with weight loss. Anyway, hope yours does also.

Oh, and before I started exercising and losing weight I had to use my Albuterol inhaler about 5 times a day, and now only use it about 2 times a week. I dont have to use it before exercise anymore. So big improvement.
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me today that I more than likely am developing/have developed adult onset asthma and prescribed symbicort....anyone else on this? I'm scared to death of it, haha.
  • me221
    Options
    Ive had asthma since I was a kid and you just have to find ways to exercise without setting off your triggers. If you get asthma running outside in cold weather go to a gym or get a tredmill and run inside. Or run outside when its warmer in the day. also I take my inhaler before I go running.
    Learning to control your breathing helps alot too! and as you get fitter you will find your asthma is more under control!
  • littlenoms
    Options
    My doctor told me today that I more than likely am developing/have developed adult onset asthma and prescribed symbicort....anyone else on this? I'm scared to death of it, haha.

I am on Symbicort as well. I have been for about 4 years or so. Since going on it, I have had fewer flare ups. I still have a ventolin inhaler. One thing I did notice was that if I missed a couple of days in a row, I was really wheezy again. I guess that means I'm on it for life, but hey - it works.
  • littlenoms
    Options
    I find the easiest thing for me is to take both inhalers 20 minutes before I go out and go for a local run with a friend, or preferably the gym so someone is always around worse case scenario...I

I take my ventolin inhaler immediately before exercising and it seems to help too!
  • Shann5315
    Shann5315 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a Personal Trainer so i am doin the correct excercises. Yes i have a preventer if that is what you are asking and i also have a ventolin, but i find that i am having to use the ventolin several times a day. The doctor said it was allergy induced, but i no longer have allergies and i still have it so, i think i might go back to the doctors.

Thanks
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I know that a lot of this thread is focusing on running & walking, but maybe you should do more strength training instead?