To Eat or Not to eat Net Calories , that is the Question !!!

what in the world are net caloriess !! i been on mfp and i still dont get the darn thing lol !!
i eat 1200 calories and i usually burn 1000-2000 calories ; do i eat my net calories? or do i continue to eat only my goal calories?

Signed , Crazy for Net Calories .

Replies

• ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    A big debate on the boards. If you're working out that much, you need more calories -- protein, if nothing else. I usually eat them if I'm hungry. If not, I just add protein to a meal right after working out.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    While there is a debate, in your specific situation I think the clear answer is yes.

If you eat 1200 calories and burn 2000, you are at a ridiculous deficit. Not just 800, 800 + your BMR, aka probably in the 2000 calorie range.

This is dangerous.

You should be NETTING 1200 calories.

Also, what are you doing that you're burning 2000 calories a day? Are you sure this is a good estimate?
  • amys07115
    amys07115 Posts: 10
    If you are truly burning that much that means your body only has 200 calories left to work with. The calories left after you work out should not be below 1200. Chances are after losing weight for a little bit you will plateau because your body is in starvation mode
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    There's a lot of debate on the topic everywhere. There's also a lot of terms like "net", TDEE, MBR, etc that get dragged in to the mix.

Here's what I do. I've lost weight doing it.

Once you're through the setup process and have your goals set (set your lifestyle to sedentary unless your daily life really is very busy), change the tracker so you are tracking five things:

- Calories
    - Fat
    - Carbohydrates
    - Sugars
    - Proteins

Log all your food AND all your exercise. Exercise a lot to earn lots of extra food and EAT IT.

Try to make the "remaining" numbers on each of the things you are tracking as close to zero as possible. Do this every day for 2-3 weeks. See if it works.

If I'm not losing weight:
    - If I'm tired, hungry, listless, or can't make it through a workout, I increase my daily calorie allowance (lower my weight loss goal) and as a result eat more.
    - If I'm energetic, feeling good, workouts are nice sweaty and enjoyable, I decrease my daily calorie allowance (raise my weight loss goal) and as a result eat less.

Yes, you can lose weight FASTER if you eat less. At first. But then you'll just be hungry and prone to cheating, you're starving your body of what it needs to build muscle for long-term calorie loss, and at the end of this "diet" you'll simply go back to your old eating habits and then your old weight.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    what in the world are net caloriess !! i been on mfp and i still dont get the darn thing lol !!
    i eat 1200 calories and i usually burn 1000-2000 calories ; do i eat my net calories? or do i continue to eat only my goal calories?

Your NET Calories are the calories you eat minus the calories you exercise. In your case, if you eat 1200 calories and burn 1000 through exercise, your NET would be 200 calories. This, however, is NOT good for your body. Find out your BMR (the minimum calories your body needs to function).
    MFP has given you a calorie goal with a deficit built in, meaning if you eat 1200 calories but do no exercise, you will still lose weight...it is therefore recommended that you eat back your exercise calories.

I'm not an expert but that's as basic as I can put it...does that help at all?
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Calories in vs. calories out isn't quite that simple. Your body needs nutrient dense food. You only really want to eat them all back if your goals is to be a high performance athlete.

A 1000 to 2000 calorie burn per day means you would be doing 1.5 to 3 hours of continuous high intensity activity per day...how many days a week are you doing that?

Wellfitlife.me
  • SheAintGivinqUp160
    SheAintGivinqUp160 Posts: 140 Member
    so basically my net calories shudd be 1200 ?..
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    so basically my net calories shudd be 1200 ?..

Yes, or as close as you can get. If you end at 1150, you'll be fine. If you end up at 400, you've got a problem.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    only if that happens to be your BMR. you should net whatever that is, at least
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member

If you are netting 0 or less than 0 you should be eating some of those back.

But... I'm going to question your statement that you are burning up to 2000 calories a day. How? Doing what?
  • SheAintGivinqUp160
    SheAintGivinqUp160 Posts: 140 Member
    an hour of just dance burns up to 1000cal nd the biggest loser cardio max burns up to 500cal, walking for 1-2hrs 500cal , and i just mix and match em