Sushi

Options
I am absolutely addicted to eating Sushi!! Does anyone have any advice as to what kind I should stick to because i do not want to give it up!! Please HELP

Replies

• mjlobeau
    mjlobeau Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i have the exact same problem!!! i have decided to cut it out of my diet for the time being, (i'm on day 2 of no sushi) because i am literally addicted to the chipotle mayo dipping sauce and the crunchy tempura bits that they decorate my food with. but according to the MFP database, the tempura yam rolls arent too high in calories, same with avocado roll, or cucumber roll. unfortunately its hard to find the nutritional value for sushi.....
  • liscain
    liscain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I personally stay away from rolls
    I stick to the real deal...SUSHI
    I even eat scallop sushi, ikura (salmon eggs), and uni (sea urchin) sushi which are all the more creamy/fatty sushis
    but I find I'm still losing as long as I stick with the lean stuff and don't get anything with the mayo dipping sauce and use ponzu or simply soy with wasabi
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    just go with sashimi. tuna, salmon...
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just build it into my calories on days I know I have a sushi date and I don't eat it that often!!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My favorite is spicy slmon... I just go to sushi restaurants and tell them I want it spicy WITHOUT the mayo and most places oblige. It cuts like 150 cals straight out if you skip the mayo. Also, avoid rainbow rolls. They're pretty heavy.
  • kimberlyw26
    kimberlyw26 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks guys I went last night and I did pretty well!!:)
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Stay away from specialty rolls and anything tempora!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    On this note, does anyone know a reliable source to get the generic nutrition info for most rolls? I never know how to count them! I usually stick to Alaska Rolls (salmon & avocado) and Futo Maki Rolls (all the veggies and egg)...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely addicted to eating Sushi!! Does anyone have any advice as to what kind I should stick to because i do not want to give it up!! Please HELP

Sashimi and rice
  • sw91684
    sw91684 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When possible get Brown Rice
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    On this note, does anyone know a reliable source to get the generic nutrition info for most rolls? I never know how to count them! I usually stick to Alaska Rolls (salmon & avocado) and Futo Maki Rolls (all the veggies and egg)...

This site is accurate as far as the sushi I've been eating. I compared the store container to the site. =]
  • narrington77
    narrington77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a sushi fanatic as well, and the best thing i ever did was take a sushi making class and learn how to make my own. i have control over how much of everything gets put in there... i make my spicy mayo with reduced fat mayo, and last night i even made a delicious roll with no rice.. just fresh salmon, imitation crab, avocado, steamed shrimp, fat free cream cheese and spicy mayo rolled in nori. Sashimi is also a good idea, x out the rice.

if not, just allow for a night out in ur calorie intake and say eff it.. its delicious. lol
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
  • NPS1985
    NPS1985 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love Sushi!:happy:
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to sushi too...The only thing that stopped me from eating it..AS MUCH...was the fact it became as about as expensive as my gas bill...I wish I could some how make Kumo's sushi from my kitchen.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i love sushi havent had it in ages though
  • QuintinV
    QuintinV Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm a sushi-holic as well.. actually had some today! Yum
  • ryuusei7
    ryuusei7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To up the nutrients and good-for-you-ness of it, you could try asking them to substitute black or brown rice for the white rice. I've done it and I think it tastes great (and gives me an excuse for all the carbs :wink: ).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I never gave up sushi, but it's not something you can easily eat every day. Generally speaking, the simpler it is, the better. Sashimi is obviously the best choice. Stay away from anything that is fried, or has tempura in it. The best rolls you can get are just rice, seaweed, and fish.
  • turnerm65
    turnerm65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump..