What the heck am I supposed to eat?!

Options
I just walked to the grocery store on my lunch break and picked up a basket full of fruits and veggies... which I love. But I knew it would **TMI alert** "hurt my stomach" if I only ate that, and that I would be hungry all day. I needed some protein and a good carb. I ended up buying a Healthy Choice freezer meal, which was surprisingly tasty, but I just don't know what better options there are that will be good for me and filling. I'm trying to eat clean.

What would you have bought?

Replies

• Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    The healthy choice freezer meal was probably a good choice. The fruits would have netted you lots of calories (&) sugar :wink:
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    I might have gone for a can of tuna for protein. I don't know for carbs. If you can keep food at work or don't storing leftovers maybe some microwaveable brown rice or a loaf of dense whole grain bread or some special K crackers. Those microwave meals are good, just usually very high in sodium.
  • signgrrrl
    signgrrrl Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat a can of low sodium Chicken noodle soup at lunch and add some frozen brocolli. Then a lowfat yogurt. Fills me up. Eat it almost everyday at work. Granola bar for snack later...Works 4 me.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I keep extra cans of tuna, lentil soup, almonds, and FiberOne cereal in my desk all the time. If I'm lost for something to eat (or just plain forgot), I can usually make a meal out of these and feel really good and full.

Yogurt in the fridge, too. That always does it for me in the afternoon when I haven't had enough.
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit and low sodium Progresso chicken and wild rice soup almost every day. Sometimes I throw spinich or chard into the soup to add to my veggie intake (and because I love the stuff!).
    I also keep a dried fruit/nut mix in my pack for when I need an afternoon pick-me-up. It took awhile for my tummy to quit asking for food every hour, but this works really well for me now.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just walked to the grocery store on my lunch break and picked up a basket full of fruits and veggies... which I love. But I knew it would **TMI alert** "hurt my stomach" if I only ate that, and that I would be hungry all day. I needed some protein and a good carb. I ended up buying a Healthy Choice freezer meal, which was surprisingly tasty, but I just don't know what better options there are that will be good for me and filling. I'm trying to eat clean.

What would you have bought?

Be careful with the sodium and hidden junk in a lot of those "healthy choice" things. Grill or bake some chicken tonight when you make dinner and bring that with a salad full of fresh veggies and a light vin dressing, a half a sweet potato or 1/2-1 cup brown rice.. something along those lines. Tuna is great and easy to carry around. Protein shake (Labrada Lean Body is awesome). Fruits will stack up the sugar and carb counts but it's not all bad -you just don't want to live off of it. Make sure you get a balanced portion of lean protein and slow-digesting carbs with every meal. I'm a HUGE fan of Tosca Reno's "The Eat Clean Diet" -tons of recipes (cheap, too!) that really are delicious and are perfect for getting and staying in shape.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet. So as long as it fits into my calories... I'd buy whatever I felt like.

VH Steamers are my go-to frozen dinners. The best one is 400 cals but they have some for just over 200, I don't like the Healthy Choice ones. The suggestion of tuna is a good one. Also, greek yogurt.

Or some pitas, salsa, pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken strips (these are expensive) and shredded cheese.
  • 1lizette1
    1lizette1 Posts: 14
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisine frozen meals (available here in Canada, not sure if they're available elsewhere). I'll have one of those if my family is eating something I can't (like take-out pizza or something). I really should check out the sodium level on those as someone else suggested above.
    For breakfast I have 2 boiled eggs and a low-fat yogurt. That does me until around 10 am when I have a fruit.
    If you try and section out your dinner and lunch plate that will help too. !/2 your plate with vegetables and/or salad, 1/4 protein and 1/4 starch. There are many low-calorie dressings out there that taste awesome! Try putting salad dressing into a small dish and everty time you go to take a fork of salad, dip your fork into the dressing then into your salad. You'll get a taste of dressing at every bite and you'll use a 1/4 of what you might have drizzled on your salad.
    You can do this!!
  • spuncky21
    spuncky21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't know if this helps but I always check online with Pinterest or Google for quick healthy lunches before I set out to get or make lunch. This way it is something different every day and it keeps me interested in eating healthy.
  • bossymomd
    bossymomd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a bunch of long grain brown rice and keep it in the fridge in 1/2 cup servings...great carb and fills you up! Put a can of tuna right into it. Or you can put some cumin or salsa and black beans for a mexican flair.

Fiber One Honey Wheat Bread is only 100 calories for 2 slices. Add 1tbsp Peanut Butter (95 cal) and 1 tbsp of Polaner All Fruit with Fiber (30 cal).

How about going to the deli section (hopefully they sell Boars Head brand) and getting some Turkey. Add reduced fat Triscuits (7= 120 cal) and a pear and you're good to go!

Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges are only 35 calories, get the flavor you like and use Reduced Fat Triscuts (7 =12) or Asian Rice Crackers (18 =120) and some fruit.

How about picking up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and just eating one portion of it (breast, thigh or leg).

Also you could pick up some fresh mozerrella cheese (2oz=140 cal) and some strawberries....omg dice up the cheese and the strawberries and eat them together, you won't be disappointed!!!

Hope these help!
  • nicholawelch
    nicholawelch Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    if you have a microwave at work make meals at home and take them with you, that way you know exactly what you are eating and could possibly save money too.
    Or something like take a potatoe and cook in microwave and add tuna or beans to go with it.:smile:
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i always keep fiber brownies and yogurt at work.