Grocery

Options
Going to the grocery today--what thing do you recommend I add to my food "oeuvre"? Pretty much been eating the same things for almost 50 days--yogurts, cottage cheese, eggs, grilled chicken, black beans, tuna, salmon (on occasion), more almonds than I ever wanted to eat, occasional PB, bananas, oatmeal, Fiber One and Kashi Go Lean Cereal, milk, and protein powder. Sometimes I get cilantro.

Basically just tired of the same old line up, mixing and matching is getting tiresome!

Replies

• PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would love to help, but that is pretty much what I am eating myself. I have allowed my self at 4oz piece of lean steak and aspargus as a treat. I love steak!!!!
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hummus, Feta cheese, grape tomatoes, ezekeil 4:9 sprouted bread, tostada shells, salsa, vanilla almond milk, blueberry milled flax seed, Trader Joe's Indian fare (Madras Lentils and Punjab Chole), TJ's reduced guilt mac and cheese. Hope this helps! I roam Trader Joe's and grab whatever looks delicious. Much of their food has really simple ingredients lists. I especially love their ethnic food.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i LOVE ice cream...so "skinny cow" ice cream bars are a big hit with me! :)

I also tend to buy a lot of Special K bars, fruits and veggies, wraps, whole grain pasta, brown rice
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    check out the recipe topic site and see if you come up with any ideas.

My staples are, baby mixed salad greens, chicken, ground turkey, lean ground beef, carrots, celery, onion, cabbage, sweet potatoes, speghetti squash, beans of all kinds, fruits, whole grain bread, and for a treat peanut butter, kraft indulgence dark chocolate cream cheese (both great on hot toast in small amounts)

Hope that helps
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Pita bread, english muffins, carrots with hummus Im a super fan of lately, add fruit to your cottage cheese to mix it up, yup thats all I got
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    apples
    spinach
    cucumbers
    tomatoes
    watermelon
    pineapple
    kiwi
    strawberries
    green beans
    asparagus
    brussel sprouts
    cauliflower
    scallions
    tilapia
    chicken breasts
    greek yogurt
    almond milk (mix it with your protein powder, its so thick and creamy like drinking chocolate milk - i have a chocolate protein powder lol)
    quinoa
    feta cheese
    navel oranges
    veggie chips
    laughing cow cheese wedges
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You could try getting some fruits and veggies: kiwi, carrots, celery, cucumbers, eggplant, squash etc and snack or cook with them. If you need recipes you can go online or I can send you some of mine if you would like. Make omelets and add chopped veggies etc and i will try to come up with some other ideas.

Bev
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Recipes scare me. They have so many ingredients to log, and require preparation skills. Currently, I just randomly mix things together. All I have to do is occasionally scramble an egg, or put a piece of chicken on the George Foreman.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    LOL. Your list looks a lot like my list. I also second hitting Trader Joes. They have a lot of good things there.
  • e_gracey
    e_gracey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could try some new veggies that are easy to cook: sweet potatoes/yams or beets are my favorite. You can cook them whole in the oven without peeling, and they are super tasty and healthy. Maybe try lentils, organic apples, string cheese, goat cheese. Otherwise, your grocery list looks pretty similar to mine (except I'm picking up babyfood too). :smile:
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    oatmeal!!!:smile:
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters and almond milk
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I live in one of the most uninhabitable places on earth--the closest Trader Joe's is currently 3 hours away, but in a few months we will have one about an hour away. I'm very excited! I keep hearing amazing things about that place!
  • Starklover
    Starklover Posts: 57
    Options
    Salad stuff! It is super easy to prepare and most of the stuff I put in my is little to no calories! if you like dressing but dont want to use ranch or italian or whatever, try salsa! You can mix and match so much stuff with salad... I like to make a big bowl of it and I create a recipe for it, so then whenever I want it I just scoop out a bowl and then use the recipe to add instead of adding it all seperatly. Good luck, hope you find something new and yummy!
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    check out the recipe topic site and see if you come up with any ideas.

My staples are, baby mixed salad greens, chicken, ground turkey, lean ground beef, carrots, celery, onion, cabbage, sweet potatoes, speghetti squash, beans of all kinds, fruits, whole grain bread, and for a treat peanut butter, kraft indulgence dark chocolate cream cheese (both great on hot toast in small amounts)

Hope that helps

do you have any good flavorful ground turkey recipes???? Also I'm not into breakfast very often but occationally do love a bagel and cream cheese. Cream cheese on toast less calories??
  • Lfabry
    Lfabry Posts: 2
    Options
    I'd recommend more veggies. Having a spinach salad everyday for lunch has really helped me. I put black beans on top since I don't eat meat but you could just as easily top your salad with animal protein. I use spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, carrots, celery, radishes, green onions. Pretty much any type of veggie you like can go into a salad. Just be sure to select a healthy dressing.
  • Lfabry
    Lfabry Posts: 2
    Options
    Great call on using salsa. Super low-cal and super flavorful. Instead of mixing up a huge salad, I chop all of my salad veg in advance when I have time. Then when I want a salad, I just use a half-cup measure to throw veggies on top of my spinach.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by food "oeuvre"? I speak french and that word seems out of place unless you meant your grocery list is a work of art of some kind.

I suggest you buy ingredients to make meals that last for many leftovers: Vegetable beef stews (turnips, carrots, celery, onions, stewing beef, vegetable stock), crock pot meals like pulled pork or slow roasted chicken or healthy meatloafs (made with leftover stale bread. I like taco mix spices. I make a batch of taco meat with ground turkey. Dinner time I have tacos as a meal then I like to use the leftover taco meat to make open face grilled cheese for lunch the next day.

My locavore boyfriend depends on what the farmer's basket supplies us. We get odd things like lebanese cucumbers, mustard greens, rappini, Kale, beets, lentil sprouts etc. I make beet and kale chips for snacking.

Sometimes just taking a walk to the farmer's market can inspire some fun new things to eat.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I do eat, normally, either a salad, or just eat spinach leaves with olive oil and 1 tbsp. of Newman's Own Light Balsamic Dressing. In fact, that's what I'm having now. Love how olive oil can pretty much make my salad into a meal with its calories! Haha.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cruise through Trader Joe's. I just had a vegetable bird's nest. It was delicious. I also like black bean burgers.

I posted this before I read your previous post about not having a TJ's close by.