any band geeks? ;)

Replies

• jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    My wife and 4 daughters are band geeks; flute, base clarinet, trombone, trumpet, baritone.
    I ma a band dad crew roadie - 9 years and 3 more to go
  • idesam10
    idesam10 Posts: 9 Member
    current alto sax player for the Pride of Minnesota (University of Minnesota Marching Band) love it!
  • GlitterGoldJem
    GlitterGoldJem Posts: 73 Member
    I was co-captain of the color guard when I was in high school! Looooved it!
  • courtcourtfnp
    courtcourtfnp Posts: 134 Member
    Former (sadly) band geek. No instrument other than my flag, though, as I was in Color Guard. Miss it so much!!

I did Colorguard too! I miss it a lot!
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    I played trumpet and some french horn from grade school all the way through college...I have lots of good band camp stories, too!!
  • Usakoneko
    Usakoneko Posts: 21
    Former (sadly) band geek. No instrument other than my flag, though, as I was in Color Guard. Miss it so much!!

I did Colorguard too! I miss it a lot!

Awww! <3 I just wish there was a way to have Colorguard (or marching band in general!) post-college. It would be great exercise! XD And so much fun!
  • not really a geek per say haha but i do sing and play the guitar :)
  • AlyssaHan
    AlyssaHan Posts: 18 Member
    I've played alto sax for 7 years!! I'm in concert band and jazz combo :)
  • 44by44th
    44by44th Posts: 289 Member
    Started out on cornet in 4th grade, 6th grade switched to tuba and never looked back. Played all through school and beyond... 30+ years so far and no plans to quit anytime soon. After my wife and children, music brings the most joy to my life.
  • cranford_s
    cranford_s Posts: 55 Member
    Ohhh yes. Alto, soprano, & bari sax, and a little jazz flute haha. No, really, some of our charts had flute...
    I was band president & drum major my senior year. It owned my life.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Former band geek here too! I started playing Percussion when I was 4 and played through college. I can play most instruments in the percussion group (admittedly not all of them with expertise) but I was a mallet concentrate. I also play piano. My husband played tuba. We actually met at band camp!
  • kitsongirl
    kitsongirl Posts: 3
    ^_^
    I play clarinet in concert band
    and do color guard in marching band.
    Woop.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Former band geek. I played snare drum in the marching band, keyboard percussion for the most part during concert season (marimba, xylaphone) although I also occasionally played the other percussion instruments. Being one of the only drummers that could read music will do that.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Past band geek.

Marched alto sax in high school, tenor in college. Played alto/tenor/baritone in symphonic band in the winter.

JM
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Former trumpet player. And this one time, at band camp.....

(Only us band nerds can know how true that is.)
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    I'm a geek, in a band (as a bassist) full of nerds. The vocalist sings about Dr. who, and lots of books shes read. Guitarist is just as nerdy. Do I qualify as a band geek? :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Yes, that would be my handle. Sax, flute, clarinet, all the single-reeds. Gig all the time with big bands, pit orchestras, opera orchestras, community bands, wedding bands, whatever.

And yes, the stereotype of flute players is totally true.
  • caelitusLux
    caelitusLux Posts: 10
    Love to the FHorn players! especially the guys! there were enough male French Horns in my opinion.

Haven't played since graduating college and it feels good to admit how much I miss it!!!
    I actually picked up mallet percussion in college, but besides that I was almost strictly French Horn ... maybe some mellophone and flugelhorn every once in a while.:tongue:
    LOVE this board topic!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    former band geek lol

i played flute in the band and percussion in marching band and aux percussion in jazz band

percussion was much more fun.

and the boys were hotter :P

and i dated most of them at one point or another LOLOLOL
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    I'm a geek, in a band (as a bassist) full of nerds. The vocalist sings about Dr. who, and lots of books shes read. Guitarist is just as nerdy. Do I qualify as a band geek? :)

you had me at dr who......