Question for all you Awesome Successful Peeps!

Options
betsy329
betsy329 Posts: 61 Member
I am just beginning my journey, 5 weeks in, 7.5 pounds lost so far. And while I feel pretty good about that, I can't help but worry I am going to have a hard time getting to my goal (64 pounds lost) by just exercising and eating very sensibly. I know it will take a while, and I'm totally cool with that, I just want to make sure it's possible. So here is my question for those of you who have reached your goals:

Did any of you loose the weight you wanted by simply eating appropriately and exercising often? Not through gimics, no 30-day shred, no crazy diets. Just honest to goodness exercise and eating right?

Replies

• ksmorck
    ksmorck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still have about 10 to go but its gone very smoothly, 33lbs of it! I did do Couch to 5k, otherwise I eat anywhere from 1500-2000 cals a day, never less and move as much as possible. I also lift weights 3x a week. Thats it, no other money spent!
  • betsy329
    Options
    That's great! Congrats and thanks for replying!
  • ksmorck
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself an Awesome Successful Peep, however I am getting to the point where I'm pretty proud of how far I've come in 11 months after having my son!!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Since January of 2011, I've lost almost 80 lbs with just exercise and eating better.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely! Ive lost 85 lbs, it has taken 2 years and 4 months but I have done it. 1-2 lbs at a time. Nixing most of the crap I ate and only eating it occasionally and in moderation. Im happy with my weight now, just want to tone up. Feel free to friend or message with questions. Good luck and keep up the good work!

- JoAnna
  • ksmorck
    Options
    33lbs in 158 days by the way. It didn't take me 11 months to lose 33lbs once I put my mind to it!
  • jeanarae1983
    jeanarae1983 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lost my 29 lbs by eating right, tracking every day, and exercising as much as I can (group classes through a local gym...pilates, indo-row, spinning, combo classes). I am starting weight training this week.

30-day shred isn't really a gimmick, I will say. It's a great exercise DVD. I'd like to work it back into my routine at some point.
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    prior to finding MFP i had lost 60lbs by just making small changes... whole wheat pasta and bread instead of white pasta, increasing fruits and veggies, moving more, cutting out the late night snacking. All those cliche tricks...well they work. Think of it as a lifestyle change and not a diet and just live your best life ever. Your weight will come off with small changes every day.
    Good Luck to you!!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Good question.
    I am experimenting with eating better at 1600cals/day right now. Haven't really started an exercise schedule yet. I am curious what the nutrition change will do on its own. However I do realize if I want to tone up I need to exercise and lift weights I am just not motivated at the moment.
  • betsy329
    Options
    Well I feel much better about life now :) I hear all this P90x, and Jillian Michaels, and no carb/fat free mumbo jumbo, and just don't want to mess with all that. I am watching what I eat and exercising. I didn't want to do any particular program other than a reduction in calories, and increase in exercise.
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started in January and have lost 20 lbs. I eat as healthy as I can, but I don't deny myself of things I just eat them in moderation and watch my calories. I started at 1200 calories and after I lost 10lbs, I increased my calories by 100 calories per day AND increased the intensity of my workouts (adding Intervals was a great thing to do for me!!) and the weight came off faster. After another 10lbs, I increased my calories another 200 AND again increased the intensity of my workouts. I am one week into that and a feel great and am continuing to lose weight. I am on a mission to be in the best physical shape of my life by the time that I turn 50 (next April). I am not here to just loose weight; I am also trying to increase my endurance and strength. This is my current workout:
    Mon- 30 min interval biking
    Tues- 30 min bike, 20 min weight lifting
    Wed- 30 min interval biking
    Thurs- 30 min bike, 20 min weight lifting
    Fri- 30 min interval biking
    Sat- 30 min bike, 20 min weight lifting
    Sun- rest; although I do take a pole dance class in the evening an it is a good workout

I also walk my dogs most evenings anywhere from 30min to 1hr.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    Well I feel much better about life now :) I hear all this P90x, and Jillian Michaels, and no carb/fat free mumbo jumbo, and just don't want to mess with all that. I am watching what I eat and exercising. I didn't want to do any particular program other than a reduction in calories, and increase in exercise.
    Same here.
  • joseejolie
    joseejolie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I've lost about 25 lbs eating right and exercising. I'm converting to vegetarianism (or whatever you call it) but I'm being sensible. The thardest thing for me is being patient. I was to lose all 120lbs tomorrow lol.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Im not a success story yet(52days 10-12 lbs lost).. i have spent some money ( zumba dvds and good shoes) but i am going to do this with no chemical (slim fast, body by vi, hydroxycut etc) or medical (lipo, weight loss surgery, appetite suppressants) intervention. I got my self this big and going to get my self down to a healthy size come hell or high water. I walk 3-6 hrs a week,stationary biking at our community fitness center that is free do zumba that i just bought, biggest loser DVD's, and wii stuff that we already had.
    It can be done I've seen it good luck!
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Sun- rest; although I do take a pole dance class in the evening an it is a good workout

awesome! good for you. sounds like fun!
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    For me since I have strayed a little bit from my "healthy eating" at times, I want to try and get that under control before I start adding anything more complicated like workout routines. I walk alot for work so I am pretty sure I burn a decent amount of cals there. I'm just so lazy right now. I am into group sports and activities like classes but I hate exercising alone.
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

A reduction in calories and an increase in exercise is the ONLY way you can lose weight. All those other "gimmicks" that you're talking about are just another way of doing the same. That's great if you have the money for that sort of thing (I don't). I'm sure that some of them are just the encouragement that some people need. I'm behind them all the way. As for me, I just started watching what I was eating and making better choices. I can't honestly say that I've increased my exercise level, but by having more energy, I have increased my activity level.
    You're doing exactly what you need to do. Endeavor to persevere!
    Ken
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    2 things; eat as clean as possible and move...EVERY DAY. It's that simple

I too have done The 30 Day Shred, what I really liked about it most was that it showed me how much exercise is necessary every day to lose. Maintaining is a different topic :)
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest, it's 99% diet. As others have mentioned eat clean and cut your calories a little each day (MFP does that for you) and you'll win in the long run. Exercise will definitely help get you there faster, but the calories is where it counts.

I'm also a proponent of 30 day shred, and keep in mind I didn't have any to lose when I joined MFP. I joined for my sister-in-law who was looking for an app to track her calories. Once I got here I thought I could make some improvements in my running times by eating better. I've done a half-marathon and thought why not try 30 DS. I picked up the DVD from Target for $9, and while it was Jillian's DVD I figured a guy could do it to.

Well, I THOUGHT I was in shape, that is, until I completed this DVD! And if you look through the threads on MFP, others have had amazing results with it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/345445-the-ultimate-before-and-after-30-day-shred-thread

You can lose the weight, but if you want to shape your body (as you can see from examples in the thread), you'll need weight and/or circuit training. There's also a book called, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" that have gotten rave reviews on this site.

I'm doing Jillian's Ripped In 30 now and it's the best $9 I've ever spent. It's a great workout program and basically gives you a personal trainer for 20 minutes a day.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 30 with no execise, just sticking with 1200 calories and one cheat day a week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!