Enjoying Pizza and Still Losing Weight

Options
I love pizza night, and like some of you, cut way back to once or twice every two months.

I try and keep it low carb by going to an all-you-can-eat buffet, starting with salad, and then only eating the toppings. The manager was getting upset at me for "wasting" all the crust. I said, "Okay, make me a crust-less pizza." He looked at me like I was from Mars.

"You know the aluminum tins you use for take-out salads and for pasta bakes?", I asked. "Use one to bake me a crust-less pizza. Put some alfredo sauce in the bottom. Add my favorite toppings. Throw on some cheese. Bake it and bring it to me."

Made to order crust-less pizzas are now the most requested item on the buffet, and people enjoy their salads while they are waiting for their "pizza" to bake. Everybody's happy.

Get creative and share the many ways you've come up with to still enjoy your favorite foods.

377521_249955011724294_186592251393904_654884_103398592_n.jpg

Hey, what can I say, some things are just... more addictive than others.

Replies

• beachlover718
    Options
    we do Papa John's almost every Saturday night. I get all kinds of veggies- my fav's are green pepper, tomato and onion occaiosnally jalapeno and always pineapple, light on the cheese (havent gone for no cheese yet)
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    we do Papa John's almost every Saturday night. I get all kinds of veggies- my fav's are green pepper, tomato and onion occaiosnally jalapeno and always pineapple, light on the cheese (havent gone for no cheese yet)

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is a sin to even think about making pizza without cheese! LOL
  • getfitbesexy
    Options
    Yup! Great ideas!

We get the thin crust whole wheat pizza :) Or make our own with whole wheat tortillas and put on our favorite toppings :)

Pizzas can be just fine to eat while dieting, keep it healthy and in moderation! You do need healthy carbs to lose weight! :)
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Love the idea coz I absolutely adore pizza...good idea with the tortilla too, but will it burn???
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options
    I tried a bunch of different ways to make homemade pizza but it doesn't cure the craving. So I just work it in. I need pizza to live and if I need it more than once a week, so be it! I will just work harder that week :drinker:
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Pizza addict here, I do the Domino's thin crust veggie pizza, hardly any cheese and light on the sauce, OMG! So yummy! Wednsday night thing while watching Revenge on TV. I love Hump Day!
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    When I make pizza at home, I start with a whole wheat pita, then a bit of whatever red sauce I have on hand, load up with veggies (peppers, mushrooms, water-packed artichoke hearts, tomatoes, steamed broccoli or zucchini) then top lightly with shredded cheese or crumbled feta and bake til perfect. So yummy!
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I still eat pizza and I still eat it the way they make it.... I simply fit it into my day / week by eating more veggies and some lean protein with lower carbs (well minus the pizza) that day and get your water in! Alot of the "weight" has to do with high sodium so flush it on out! I also don't have it too often every few weeks.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Flat Out wraps make GREAT pizzas. Bake them for a little bit before you put toppings on though - otherwise the crust is soggy. :)
  • Mommy_x3
    Mommy_x3 Posts: 48
    Options
    I LOVE pizza. Couldnt live without it. We have pizza night once a week and I use that night as my cheat day
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Have to wonder.....Why not just roll with thin crust pizza.....That's what I do. Why low/no carb?
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Love pizza, love the odd take-away pizza every now and then but sometimes make it myself from scratch which a lot healthier. I think it gets a bad rap but proper Italian pizza isn't bad at all it's just when you get them absolutely covered in cheese that it gets a bit icky and very greasy.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    sounds good for a gluten free diet as well :)
  • Angelic1970
    Options
    We eat pizza every once in a while. but I only like pepperoni and beef with the thin crust.
  • lhughes404
    lhughes404 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My favorite pizza is the stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut. So many calories, its my treat when I make my next weight goal. For regular pizza I either work out more the day I know I'm going to have it or I try fill myself with healthier food beforehand and have less pizza.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Have to wonder.....Why not just roll with thin crust pizza.....That's what I do. Why low/no carb?

That's what I was thinking. Half of the allure of pizza is the crust. Pizza with no crust isn't pizza. That's called sauce and cheese.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Papa Murphy's DeLite Pizza. Best "diet" pizza ever! Ok, it's really not diet pizza. Super thin crispy crust. A large pepperoni has 427 calories for a quarter of the pizza, which isn't bad for pizza. You will definitely need a big salad with it though because the paper thin crust is not very filling but it is delicious!
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. Half of the allure of pizza is the crust. Pizza with no crust isn't pizza. That's called sauce and cheese.

Easy on the sauce and cheese and the cheese starts to get crispy when baked. Occasionally I'll have a slice or two of thin crust bbq pizza with my salad while waiting for the crust-less pizza to bake.

My body has a hard time with bread, tortillas, and sugar, so even though I love them as much as the next guy, I've had to make some adjustments.

Great input! What other ideas for favorite foods do you all have?
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    I made a califlower crust pizza last week! I still need to tweak the recipe so that it crisps a little bit, but I loved it!!
  • thohnfit
    thohnfit Posts: 8
    Options
    Tortilla and whole wheat pizzas are my favorites. Add lean meats with your favorite vegeys! Have fun with it! I make a Green bay packers pizza with green and yellow bell peppers! Go Pack Go! My wife and I lightly spreat extra virgin olive oil on the crust with a little pizza sauce.